Do you play by NHL rules?

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I don't think Mites play by any rules. But where I play the only rules that Minor Hockey has adapted to the New Rules except for delayed off-sides and the red line was taken out a few years ago. Theres no rule about Goalies playing the puck and we still have tie games etc.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
In the adult league, we've always played by international rules, though the rinks are mostly NHL size. So there are ties and goalies can play the puck though most hardly ever do. Don't think they check equipment sizes either, seen some goalies hide behind some large pads, though I doubt they could enforce that.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Last season we didn't, but this season we are. We play at the official practice facility of the Florida Panthers so our rinks have the trapezoid, smaller neutral zone, etc. it's great.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
We've always had no-touch icing and no red line for icing, and legal two-line passes where I play. With their inclusion in the NHL, we have started using the touch-up offsides and a three man shootout at the ned of tie games.

Edit: That's a nice rink, Accord. I've played on it once or twice. Funny, I play on the official practice of the Lightning. We don't use the trapeziods though, they just are disregarded.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
we started to use the 3 man shoot out to decide tie games as well, but because of the demand on the ice, if it's still tied after the 3 man shoot out, only if there is time will a sudden death shoot out take place, otherwise the game ends in a tie.

next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add the rule of a player shooting over the glass however, as A LOT of players do this to catch a break here or there

We also have the allowed 2 line pass, but tenders can play the puck anywhere and we also have no touch icing.

ChokingV

Mar 25, 2006
Downtown SJ
The ice center here in San Jose re-did the lines to match the new NHL dimensions. Goalies can still play the puck wherever the want, even though the ice has the trapezoids. The league has also had touch-up offsides and no red line for two line passing for as long as I've been playing.

HockeySS19

Feb 28, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Accord said:
Last season we didn't, but this season we are. We play at the official practice facility of the Florida Panthers so our rinks have the trapezoid, smaller neutral zone, etc. it's great.

But we don't play with touch-up offsides or the trapezoid rule. Or any of the new rules (except maybe two line pass? I don't know about that one, doesn't happen often). The ice was just repainted. :teach:

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
We use the USA Hockey rules as far as I know. (At least, that's the PDF that was e-mailed out at the beginning of the season.)

No trapezoid, no-touch icing, no two-line pass, touch-up offsides. It's been that way for a while.

Oh, and if a game ends in a tie there's no shootout or overtime (except in the playoffs); they really keep the games moving along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad