Do You Guys Remember This Ruutu Incident?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My drunk Canucks fan uncle always talks about this incident but I can’t find anything about it online. He says a player was sitting on the bench and Ruutu grabbed his skate and was trying to pull it off while the player held on with both arms trying to stay on the bench. There are a couple videos of funny incidents like the Phaneuf one but I can’t find this one. Does anyone have any memory of it happening?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
no but i remember this

Whenever I show him that clip he just looks at it dumbfounded and doesn’t even chuckle for some reason, but he thinks the Ruutu pulling the skate incident is the funniest thing ever. If it really did happen I’m puzzled as to why it isn’t a viral video like that one

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I have a buddy that used to dog sit/property sit for Jarkko.

I met his brother a few times as a result.

He was the Finnish equivalent of white trash. In the best way possible of course.

I see where Jarkko got it from and my GOODNESS I miss watching him play.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
My drunk Canucks fan uncle always talks about this incident but I can’t find anything about it online. He says a player was sitting on the bench and Ruutu grabbed his skate and was trying to pull it off while the player held on with both arms trying to stay on the bench. There are a couple videos of funny incidents like the Phaneuf one but I can’t find this one. Does anyone have any memory of it happening?
Forsberg.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Forsberg.

This isn't it, Ruutu was supposedly on the ice and went up to the opposing teams bench, and started pulling a player off of it by his skate. I'm absolutely puzzled how I haven't been able to find any evidence of this ever happening online, but he swears this happened and he tells me about it every single day when he's drunk.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This isn't it, Ruutu was supposedly on the ice and went up to the opposing teams bench, and started pulling a player off of it by his skate. I'm absolutely puzzled how I haven't been able to find any evidence of this ever happening online, but he swears this happened and he tells me about it every single day when he's drunk.

You get drunk with Ruutuu? Wow, don't try to keep up with a Finn. I did once and regretted it for a weekend...

boringasheck

Sep 22, 2011
I swear I remember something happening with Ruutu and another player's leg or skate back in the 2004 playoffs against Calgary... I want to say Game 5?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There was about a two or three year stretch where Ruutu was about the most mad lad I've ever seen in the league. To this day he's the image who comes to mind when I reflect on NHL Pests. Never seen a player quite like him since. I miss him, definitely one of my favorite Canucks of all-time.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
My favorite Ruutu incident wasn't even on the ice but in this interview he gave. Apparently he had a rival in international hockey when he was playing for Team Finland that was extremely heated. In the interview he said something to the effect of...

"I'll fight him anytime! I'll fight him in my hotel room! Just tell him to knock fist! I'll definitely fight him! But he has to knock first!"

That to this day is the funniest hockey interview I've read and I'm still laughing about it probably fifteen years later. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad