Do you ever sit there and wish you could make the line combos for one game?

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
What are your feelings on the line combinations/defensive pairings? Comment your ideas!

I feel like Keefe has absolutely no idea what is and isn’t working. Yes I realize he is a professional, and I’m just some dude that hasn’t missed a game in 25 years.

I would like to propose that the Leafs hold a lottery where one long term fan gets to decide the line combinations, for one game.

Here’s my idea for lines (and a few key points), for what that is worth.

- STOP STAPLING JARNKROK TO MATTHEWS

- STOP playing our trash ass 4th line 9+ minutes a game. Unless they plan to call up some skill players. Holmberg and Reeves have contributed ZERO.

-TJ Brodie playing 21+ minutes a night is an absolute travesty. He can no longer move the puck at all, just constant missed passes and plays in general. Zero threat of a shot coming from him either.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-one of Steeves/Cowan/McMann

Rielly-McCabe
Klingberg-Liljegren
Niemela-Brodie
Gio

Woll
Samsonov

This is all without making any major trades of course. GM for a day would be a much different outcome 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: Eric bungay

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Niemela is definitely not ready for the NHL, he needs a full year in the AHL before possibly coming up.

McCabe and Liljegren were playing pretty well before McCabe got injured.

I do agree that Knies needs to be moved up to the top six instead of playing with two plugs in Kampf and Domi.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Niemela is definitely not ready for the NHL, he needs a full year in the AHL before possibly coming up.

McCabe and Liljegren were playing pretty well before McCabe got injured.

I do agree that Knies needs to be moved up to the top six instead of playing with two plugs in Kampf and Domi.
I get that Niemela isn’t “Ready” per se. But Brodie and Gio are no longer ready to take a regular NHL shift at this point. I’d rather shelter Niemela a bit, and see what he can do.

I didn’t mind McCabe and Lilly, McCabe has just been brutal until this point. I wanted to divvy up the defense first guys a bit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
People post their fantasy lineups here every day in many different threads.

To answer the threads question, no I don't ever wish I could make the lines.

horner

May 22, 2007
Trade
Jamcrock and Kampf for picks

Trade for
A defensive dman that can knock someone on there ass
A 3rd line center better than Kampf

If McMann is healthy bring him up .

Reactions: LivingRentFree

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What are your feelings on the line combinations/defensive pairings? Comment your ideas!

I feel like Keefe has absolutely no idea what is and isn’t working. Yes I realize he is a professional, and I’m just some dude that hasn’t missed a game in 25 years.

I would like to propose that the Leafs hold a lottery where one long term fan gets to decide the line combinations, for one game.

Here’s my idea for lines (and a few key points), for what that is worth.

- STOP STAPLING JARNKROK TO MATTHEWS

- STOP playing our trash ass 4th line 9+ minutes a game. Unless they plan to call up some skill players. Holmberg and Reeves have contributed ZERO.

-TJ Brodie playing 21+ minutes a night is an absolute travesty. He can no longer move the puck at all, just constant missed passes and plays in general. Zero threat of a shot coming from him either.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-one of Steeves/Cowan/McMann

Rielly-McCabe
Klingberg-Liljegren
Niemela-Brodie
Gio

Woll
Samsonov

This is all without making any major trades of course. GM for a day would be a much different outcome 😂.

Gio has been one of our best 4D... Brodie has been number 2.

Our best D in order is probably Rielly, Brodie, Liljegren, Gio, playing 5 forwards, Klingberg/McCabe

Although the D did look a lot better when we made changes and it was:

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Klingberg

The Rielly pairing has been the best pairing by far so far.

I think this is the ideal lineup based on what we've seen so far.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Bertuzzi
Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Klingberg

Woll
Samsanov

I get that Niemela isn’t “Ready” per se. But Brodie and Gio are no longer ready to take a regular NHL shift at this point. I’d rather shelter Niemela a bit, and see what he can do.

I didn’t mind McCabe and Lilly, McCabe has just been brutal until this point. I wanted to divvy up the defense first guys a bit.

Honestly have no clue what games you are watching where you think Brodie/Gio are not NHL regulars when McCabe and Klingberg have been atrocious.

Reactions: arso40

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Gio has been one of our best 4D... Brodie has been number 2.

Our best D in order is probably Rielly, Brodie, Liljegren, Gio, playing 5 forwards, Klingberg/McCabe

Although the D did look a lot better when we made changes and it was:

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Klingberg

The Rielly pairing has been the best pairing by far so far.

I think this is the ideal lineup based on what we've seen so far.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Bertuzzi
Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Klingberg

Woll
Samsanov

Honestly have no clue what games you are watching where you think Brodie/Gio are not NHL regulars when McCabe and Klingberg have been atrocious.
McCabe has been bad I completely agree. Gio is significantly better than Brodie at this point. I honestly could probably make a compilation of just awful clearing attempts, passes and giveaways in our own zone from Brodie. Legit been one of the worst defencemen I’ve seen on a leafs roster since Jeff Finger

Trade
Jamcrock and Kampf for picks

Trade for
A defensive dman that can knock someone on there ass
A 3rd line center better than Kampf

If McMann is healthy bring him up .
Kampf has also been atrocious

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
McCabe has been bad I completely agree. Gio is significantly better than Brodie at this point. I honestly could probably make a compilation of just awful clearing attempts, passes and giveaways in our own zone from Brodie. Legit been one of the worst defencemen I’ve seen on a leafs roster since Jeff Finger

Do you close your eyes when Klingberg is on the ice? He and McCabe have been our worst D by a mile.

Brodie has been fine and the pairing with Rielly has looked good. They have a 56% xGF and 75% GF.

Reactions: arso40

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Probably because we get sick of watching the same crappy players get stapled to our stars game in and game out with absolutely zero results.
Hey man, you do you.

The top players on this team are good enough to get the job done (in the regular season) regardless of how the lines are compiled. I think over the past 8 seasons the number of times a reshuffling of the lines has had any major impact you can count on both hands... I just feel it is the least of our problems. There have been times where I do think a guy should be pushed down or bumped up, but it is rare I have to admit.

Last game for instance, line combos would have made zero difference. The team was flat both mentally and physically... that was an effort issue not a chemistry issue.

That being said, this is a place for everyone to share their thoughts, feelings, etc. So I am not against it, I just skip those posts.

Go Leafs Go

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I get the idea, for all the offence Rielly and klingberg bring, McCabe and Brodie give it right back. They are so awful offensively it’s a chore to watch them in the ozone. McCabe has struggled defensively as well so he’s just a constant tire fire out there

Gio has played well, but idk how confident I am running a 40 year old in our top 6 in the playoffs.

Niemela just isn’t ready, he’s still a couple years away. He needs to be replaced by a trade treliving makes. Brodie can still play 2nd pair if he has a good shutdown partner but they have to play heavy defence minutes. People underestimate how bad Brodie is in the ozone. I don’t see much of a difference in him and Ceci. Exaggeration? Maybe but he’s pretty bad.

For the offence, I think we should give the 1st LW spot to knies or domi and see how they do. Bert didn’t fit at all, jarnkrok has meh. They have had their chances now we gotta try others.

Agree about Robertson on that line. We need depth scoring, should give him a shot. We also need to find a 3C so kampf can be pushed down as a 4C. He’s probably a luxury we can’t afford but we have him now.

Sucks that backlund resigned or him + Zadorov would’ve been a really nice target

Reactions: LivingRentFree

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
People post their fantasy lineups here every day in many different threads.

To answer the threads question, no I don't ever wish I could make the lines.

Same.

Too many people believe there is some magic combination that will solve all the issues rather than proper fundamentals and effort. Unfortunately I think the coach is one of them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Same.

Too many people believe there is some magic combination that will solve all the issues rather than proper fundamentals and effort. Unfortunately I think the coach is one of them.
Exactly, willingness can carry a team a long way.
Tonights opponent is the best example of that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I think you need to rethink that. Both have been really good especially Brodie. He looks back to his usual self.

Kampf has also been atrocious
Thats quite the hyperbole and wrong too

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For me the worst problem is that he doesn't seem to see what's working *now* and what isn't working *now* and make adjustments, and I'm not thinking about 'in game'.

Last year Jarnkrok was working well with Matty and Willy, and to a lesser extent with Matty and Mitch. At the moment nobody is working with Matty and Mitch, but that's a different issue. Playing Willy with them last game didn't seem to do much either.

I've been a big opponent of JT and Willy playing together, but right now they seem to be the most effective.

Other than swapping Mitch and Willy for a few games, I'd like to see JT and Willy as centering different second lines. This might also cut down on the fourth line's time.

I don't think setting the lines for one game is of any value - that's the equivalent of juggling mid-game. I'd like to be able to set the lines for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1specter

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
If I’m dreaming about stuff out of my control… it’s lottery jackpot related.

Plus, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do deciding who plays where and when on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't care that they are both #1 centers. I think Tavares and Matthews could be Mcdavid/Draisaitl type combo. I'd like to see them together.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Gregor/Domi - Domi/Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Holmberg/Gregor - Kampf - NotReaves

I also don’t think it would be a bad idea to dish 3 lines out with Tavares on line 3 to preserve his legs throughout the year. Get them ~13 mins of EV and then his 4+ mins on the PP.

We feel like we’re a centerman short and it either needs to be Willy or Domi at this point unless Holmberg can step up. Either way I think we’re one top 9 forward short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad