Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Career-wise Gretzky has 186 more goals than man behind him. It was the same gap as between 2nd and 10th places
Ovechkin has 189 more goals than man behind him. It is now the same gap as between 2nd and 68th places.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
For those now turning this into Crosby Is Not Generational; similar to my last example of Ovechkin being in the elite goal scoring class of Richard, Hull, Esposito and Gretzky based on many years of leading the league in goals, here are the leaders for seasons leading the league in points-per-game.

Gretzky 11
Lemieux 7
Howe 7
Esposito 5
Crosby 5

Mikita and Bill Cowley have 4, others have 3. I think this is just as telling a stat as Ovechkin's times leading the league in goals. And I expect McDavid to get into this class by the end of his career, because he is generational. It would be ridiculous for every player in this class to be generational except for the extremely decorated Sidney Crosby.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's by far the best of his generation at what he does and arguably the best of all time at what he does.

If the word generational should apply to anyone, he should be included.0

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Ovie is 100% a generational player, the man scores at will and is one of the best pure goal scorers in the game, if my team was down a goal in the last minute of the game he would be the man I could count on to score the tying goal. I really do hope the caps or him wins a cup, its a shame to see someone as good as Ovi not be rewarded with a cup

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
I'd say if a player has a strong case for being the greatest goal scorer to ever play the game then yes, said player is, "generational."

Watch what you say here man. If you aren't performing a mean an aggressive back check on every shift you are not generational... Ovi is going to go down as the greatest goal scorer of all time, I'm so tired of these team based arguments against him, it's not his fault the Caps are chokers and it's not like Ovi goes missing in the playoffs. This is a clear cut yes for me.

Scoring goals is the most important thing in all team based sports, it's actually an under rated aspect of the game on HFboards. Do you guys think Messi, Ronaldo, or Ibrahimovich get shit for never tracking back in Soccer? No, their fans don't care that they rarely track back. It's Ovi's job to score goals and he is the best at it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Generational goal scorer. Not player. There’s a winning pedigree that goes along with it. The guy’s never been to a final.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's no rule that there can only be one generational player at a time, and he's unquestionably the best goal scorer of his generation...so the answer is easily yes from me.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
For those now turning this into Crosby Is Not Generational; similar to my last example of Ovechkin being in the elite goal scoring class of Richard, Hull, Esposito and Gretzky based on many years of leading the league in goals, here are the leaders for seasons leading the league in points-per-game.
Gretzky 11
Lemieux 7
Howe 7
Esposito 5
Crosby 5
Mikita and Bill Cowley have 4, others have 3. I think this is just as telling a stat as Ovechkin's times leading the league in goals.
Even if Crosby doubles his achievement, he'll only be in the same position Ovechkin is in now (one season to tie the all-time leader).
Then again, in a full season Crosby never came anywhere close to his shortened seasons pace, so it's an amusing fact and nothing more, not a thing to base a conclusion on.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Yes.

Best goal scorer of his era, and maybe ever.

Highest peak of any player of his generation.

Co-face of the NHL for 10+ seasons.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So since entering the league Ovi has had more individual awards, most goals, most points (yes, him and Crosby came in same year and Ovi has more points), and some people don’t think he’s generational?

Yet Crosby, who is about to have his 7th out of last 8 seasons not even have 90 points in a given year is considered by some a top 3 or top 5 player.

This isn’t a knock on Crosby - he’s amazing and the best when healthy - but it just shows the biased views people have.

Durability (especially with Ovi’s past is important). Team success tharCrosby has is important too.

Crosby is the better player overall because people view team success as a big part of things - and that’s understandable. However, if you switched team success around and Ovi had multiple Cups who wouldn’t be saying he’s the best player by far of this generation?

We should just be enjoying what we are seeing. People were obsessed and saying McDavid and Matthews are the next best thing ever - and so far they aren’t anywhere near Ovi/Crosby prime levels... and that’s okay because OVI and Crosby are both EASILY generational talents.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Likely finishes his career with close to 750 goals..I think nuff said?

Reactions: tacogeoff

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Nope. Team success matters to me. The guy has never even been out of the second round.

Then take a glance at the capitals playoff stats and tell me what you see. What you'll see is ovechkin doing everything and all other players have zero stats

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So since entering the league Ovi has had more individual awards, most goals, most points (yes, him and Crosby came in same year and Ovi has more points), and some people don’t think he’s generational?

Yet Crosby, who is about to have his 7th out of last 8 seasons not even have 90 points in a given year is considered by some a top 3 or top 5 player.

This isn’t a knock on Crosby - he’s amazing and the best when healthy - but it just shows the biased views people have.

Durability (especially with Ovi’s past is important). Team success tharCrosby has is important too.

Crosby is the better player overall because people view team success as a big part of things - and that’s understandable. However, if you switched team success around and Ovi had multiple Cups who wouldn’t be saying he’s the best player by far of this generation?

We should just be enjoying what we are seeing. People were obsessed and saying McDavid and Matthews are the next best thing ever - and so far they aren’t anywhere near Ovi/Crosby prime levels... and that’s okay because OVI and Crosby are both EASILY generational talents.

Because he won a cup or something

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nope. Team success matters to me. The guy has never even been out of the second round.

Ah, good, this lazy argument again. That Ovechkin's teams haven't been able to get over the hump doesn't change the fact that he arguably is the greatest goal scorer of all time. People are legitimately pondering the possibility of him breaking Gretzky's goal scoring record. Ovechkin also has terrific playoff numbers; it's the rest of his team that disappears.

There is no reasonable argument -- qualitatively or quantitatively -- that can be made to say that Ovechkin is not generational.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad