Do you care about jersey numbers?

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
The O dog has a problem with William wearing the 39 :laugh:

He said he would have been devastated if he couldn't wear the 92 and that players should choose numbers they are comfortable wearing!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The O dog has a problem with William wearing the 39 :laugh:

He said he would have been devastated if he couldn't wear the 92 and that players should choose numbers they are comfortable wearing!

A bit of hindsight there. Im sure he would have been just fine with whatever number he was given in his first game.

Like how does he think that conversation would go?

Lou: "William, you're going to play tonight for the Leafs"
Willy: "Great!"
Lou: "We're giving you #39 tonight"
Willy: "Huh, could I have a different #?"
Lou: "......William, we've traded you to Edmonton"

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Deeply.

I'm not a Leafs fan, the sidebar just alerted me to something important. Kudos on your number honouring policy.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Yes I do care about jersey numbers and I hope our players select their own when the time is right and not handed generic numbers they end up sticking with.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't care what they are, so long as they are consistent. I dont want to buy a Nylander jersey and have him change the number next year.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
In my opinion, yes. Always has been when I played so maybe that influences my thoughts. 8 has always been my number since I can remember and have used it in a ton of usernames and sports numbers.

Turns out I am a Connor Carrick fan now.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, it matters. I mean for Pete's sake we retire and honor numbers in hockey. Why would it be wrong for fans to care what numbers guys are wearing?

Feels bleh to just have guys getting slapped with numbers that didn't choose. Felt off with the whole effort even during the Burke era to push onto guys low numbers without giving them that bit of personal freedom.

Always meant something being able to have my favorite number on my own jersey when playing.

BurnTheBoats

Sep 25, 2015
Kadri- #17(Clark)
Rielly- #7(Horton)
Brown- #93(Gilmour)
Marner- #14(Keon)
Stamkos- #10(Armstrong/Apps)
Kapanen- #21(Salming/Conacher)
Komarov- #9(Kennedy)
Nylander- #13(Sundin)
Matthews- #27(Mahovlich/Sittler)

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
If the question is do I care about individual numbers, then no. If the question is do I care about what numbers players wear/like, then yes.

With regards to Kapanen and Nylander, I'm sad they didn't wear their 42/62 that they wear/wore with the Marlies. Both are available, so surprised they didn't.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
99 is such an ugly number...so is 66...come on Lou, it's 2016 - let the kids play with whatever number they want. It's just not right seeing some of these players not wear their numbers.

How the hell is Stamkos suppose to wear 91 next year?

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
So does anybody know if Nylander and Kapanen are stuck with their numbers for their entire Maple Leaf career?

Anybody remember what happened in New Jersey with Lou's numbering process...

I don't think i'm the only one who want them to have different numbers.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the question is do I care about individual numbers, then no. If the question is do I care about what numbers players wear/like, then yes.

With regards to Kapanen and Nylander, I'm sad they didn't wear their 42/62 that they wear/wore with the Marlies. Both are available, so surprised they didn't.
Tyler Bozak already has the #42.

BurnTheBoats

Sep 25, 2015
99 is such an ugly number...so is 66...come on Lou, it's 2016 - let the kids play with whatever number they want. It's just not right seeing some of these players not wear their numbers.

How the hell is Stamkos suppose to wear 91 next year?

Easily, if Stamkos wants to sign with Toronto we offer him #10(Armstrong/Apps) and the "C"

That's what makes Toronto different from 24-other teams ,why not award our players with historical #'s

What true hockey player would deny wearing

Keon
Clark
Sundin
Horton
Gilmour
Kennedy
Broda/Bower
Armstrong/Apps
Mahovlich/Sittler
Salming/Conacher

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Really curious. I bet most of the yes category played/play.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding? I care about my number but I don't care what number anyone else wears.
Is the question: does anyone care that the kids didn't get to select their numbers?
Then yes I think they should.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well in the 20 questions, both Willie and Kap said that their number with the Marlies was given to them. Willy prefers 92, and Kap prefers 24.

I don't think either one will be stuck with 39 & 37 respectively (They are ugly numbers to me) but I do believe that when they earn their spot out of camp, they will be allowed to choose a number for themselves. Kind of weird to me how both Carrick and Hyman got their numbers though. Does anyone know if Lou doesn't like high numbers?

Obviously Kap can't take 24 or 42, but 71 looked real nice on him.

Edit: http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2015/8/5/9094865/as-lou-lamoriello-departs-so-do-many-of-his-quirks

Apparently in New Jersey only 4 people ever had a jersey number over 40 before Lou left.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Do I care about players wearing the numbers they want to wear? Absolutely. If Nylander wants 62, give it to him. And by all means Kapanen can pick any free number he likes. Same goes for my hockey and soccer team. I care about my #11.

Now do I care about what number a player wears? Heck no..that's ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad