Do you Buy or Lease?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Well?

My first 3 cars I had all bought, then i realized how much better leasing is. Brand new car every 3-4 years, and I can beat the crap out of it and not worry about paying for all the wear and tear and maintenance over the years as it gets older. Plus you can find some pretty damn good deals on leasing if you look hard enough.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Buy. I have not looked into it but I think I put too many kms on a year to lease. I average around 32,000 KM a year on my personal vehicle.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Buy. I have not looked into it but I think I put too many kms on a year to lease. I average around 32,000 KM a year on my personal vehicle.

Ah, that makes sense. My commute to work is only a mile so I only put on roughly 8-9,000 miles a year (13-14,000KM).

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Buy.

I did consider leasing a Hellcat when they were offering them at $500 a month.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
buy

had a brother ****ed over via leasing

also--if you buy and take care of it--you can get most of you money back

How so? Unless you are selling it a year or two after you buy. If you hold onto it for 5-8 years you definitely aren't getting anywhere near most of your money back.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Buy, but lease is a good idea if you 1) drive less than 20,000 kilometers a year 2) buy a new car every 2-4 years 3) are not purchasing outright/putting down a large down payment. In fact, if at least two of those are true, I'd say you absolutely should be leasing. Payments tend to be 20% or more less.

also--if you buy and take care of it--you can get most of you money back

For what car lol? You can really only do this if you're buying used cars under-value and sell them a short time later for more, or on very rare cars. You will never make most of your money back on a new car.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
lease IMO only makes sense if its no down payment and good value. decent km a year and you want to trade in every 3-4 years. me I buy and will run the car into the ground. I have a car with no payments and plan on driving it another 5 years. the other I bought and making payments.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Basically it's a pretty complicated leasing deal through company but fiancee is owning partner in the company so for all intents and purposes it's our car. The deal is 2 or 3 years at a time depending on preference.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How so? Unless you are selling it a year or two after you buy. If you hold onto it for 5-8 years you definitely aren't getting anywhere near most of your money back.

For what car lol? You can really only do this if you're buying used cars under-value and sell them a short time later for more, or on very rare cars. You will never make most of your money back on a new car.

Well, obviously you won't be getting near the same back if you buy a new car and sell it after 2 years. But you can get pretty good exchange deals.

We exchanged our BMW that cost 55k€ when we bought it. It was one of those exhibition cars in a dealership and it had IIRC 7000km in it when we got it. We had it for about 1 year and 9 months and it had 115 000km in it when we gave it away (if my memory serves me, might have been just a tad more). We got 39k in exchange for it. Wouldn't have been quite as much had we outright sold it without getting a new one. I think the dealership sold it forward with 39.900€ :laugh:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow, i'm pretty shocked with these poll results.

Figured there would be at least a couple others who lease :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Buy, but lease is a good idea if you 1) drive less than 20,000 kilometers a year 2) buy a new car every 2-4 years 3) are not purchasing outright/putting down a large down payment. In fact, if at least two of those are true, I'd say you absolutely should be leasing. Payments tend to be 20% or more less.

Ding ding.

I always buy used cars and then flip then a few years later sometimes for a profit. I am not a mechanic but friends are and keep them in good shape

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I've been lucky on two care regarding resale. Found good deals on used cars and sold when the market went higher for them

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Bought. I can see the positives in leasing, and I would consider it when my SO needs a new vehicle, but not for me. I bought my truck with the intention of using it for the next decade+, and I put it through too much, fishing/camping/quadding etc.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I buy 1 yr old used cars. The car is basically still brand new and have lots a warranty but you save big time on the purchase price of the car.

I just bought a 2016 last month and saved 20,000$ off MSRP. It only had 15,000kms on it.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
With Ford its pretty easy to compare pricing because you can look up the original window sticker online. Some dealers include it in the online ad.

Here's an example. (near the bottom of the ad, there is a link for the window sticker)

https://www.kochfordlincoln.com/collections/used-cars/products/2016-ford-edge-sel-low-mileage-1

That's Ford though. Domestics tend to have fairly massive depreciation and their sticker prices are usually far in excess of what the car actually went for. You generally won't see that type of depreciation for other brands.

In general, if you want to maximize value, a one year old lease return is probably your best bet, but you can't expect significant savings over new MSRP unless it's from a specific brand. Almost half of MSRP saved the next year, even on a domestic, is the exception, not the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad