Do you blame Tom Barrasso for his anti-media stance

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I don't recall doing any such thing. But it's certainly possible to go back 35, 75, or 100 years ago and find players talking publicly about teammates.

That said, talking publicly about teammates is generally regarded as being in poor taste. But the idea of some ironclad "code" that is only now being broken isn't factually true.

Saying a guy is mean rather than moody only boosts his ego and persona on the playing field. But saying a guy beats his wife when he's drunk, screws around with the babysitter or beats his kid with a switch isn't talked about. Never has been. That stuff usually satys in the lockerroom. Sometimes, things get to the authorities like in the case of Peterson or Sandusky. My point was not that the code is now being broken. The code remains intact. These are athletes who have to bond together for 6-10 months a year working towards a common goal. They can't let even the biggest disturbances get in the way.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
That's a good point. They even kept Stevens on as a scout when he was having serious substance abuse problems, just so he'd have a paycheck. With Barrasso, it's like he never existed with the Penguins.

Look, I don't know about any of your story, it's just some stuff on the internet. Autograph hounds are a horrible bunch of people and feel entitled to autographs when quite frankly they are just annoying little gnats. Yes, even 11 year old ones. If that story is true, than whomever wrote it and still has that little baby like gripe over an autograph than I would think that adult now was a brat as a child. I mean read the context and syntax carefully and you might see how bratty that story is for an adult to have written. Autograph seekers are nothing more than paparazzi, and I would ignore them too. If the story is true, I can't blame Barrasso for walking away either.

Now, why did highlight the above. Keven Stevens when he retired moved back to Brockton MA area and yes he went into the deep end with substance abuse (trust me I saw it personally, it was bad), however, he cleaned up when he was hired back on the Pens, so trying to use to slam Barrasso is a bad example.

The question again; why is Barrasso never bashed by former teammates or in any one's book? Maybe because he isn't what you think he is.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
.... playing a sport doesn't make you a hero. This society of placing people on pedestals is really messed up if you ask me. All players are, are regular people that are better at sports than me. It's not healthy to idolize people the way we do, and that includes Hollywood folks too. This is way off topic but it's an overall demise of society that we worship regular folk for being good at sports, acting or music, it's a really bad bad way to be including children.

And to be honest, I have hung out with some pretty big named rock stars, had drinks etc.. and I don't have a single autograph, because...... they are just people like me and you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
...people are people and playing a sport doesn't make you a hero. This society of placing people on pedestals is really messed up if you ask me. All players are, are regular people that are better at sports than me. It's not healthy to idolize people the way we do, and that includes Hollywood folks too. This is way off topic but it's an overall demise of society that we worship regular folk for being good at sports, acting or music, it's a really bad bad way to be including children.

And to be honest, I have hung out with some pretty big named rock stars, had drinks etc.. and I don't have a single autograph, because...... they are just people like me and you.

Yes but you cant apply that logic to an 11 year old. Adults I definitly agree but kids they look at life completely different and there is no excuse being a ****** to a kid (ofc there might be a few exceptions).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
No one here knows Barrasso personally, but his popularity or hockey fame and reputation isn't subject to the evidence needed in a court case. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence he wasn't a very nice person, in virtually any context. Likely he isn't a very nice person to be around. It shouldn't really decide his HHOF status, and I don't think it really has. He is borderline for goalies making the HHOF. It is hard for a goalie to gain induction, and anything aside from his playing career doesn't add to his chances. If somehow John Davidson had Tom Barrasso's career exactly, but was John Davidson, and was popular, well liked, a successful media personality, a successful front office hockey guy... He might have a better chance at induction, but he still might not be inducted anyway. Hard to get in the HHOF as a goalie.

All of that said, Barrasso is an ass. Theo Fleury made a mess if his life, was an embarrassment to the NHL in New York and Chicago... And I think he still eventually gets in because he is legendary and loved, despite the incredible mess he was. Barrasso never was that. He was just a very good goalie with a half dozen great seasons and a bunch of good ones, who was lucky enough to play on the Lemieux era Penguins. He is not separable from Beezer or Richter, or Liut, or Vernon and so on. He is not in the echelon of the HHOF caliber goalie, but a shade below.

Reading this and hearing Patrick Lalime didn't talk to Barrasso for 3 years... Is enlightening. Lalime is, by reputation, one of the nicest, most easy going guys that has recently played in the NHL. To have him of all people refuse to talk to you for years is quite telling. People come in all shades of personality, good and bad. From almost all reports the only good thing about Barrasso was his ability to play on the ice, and literally little else. That is his legacy. I could care less if he talked to the media or not. The hockey media is largely made of idiots. I don't hate Barrasso. I am in awe of his ability to move the puck up the ice as a goalie. His short time in Ottawa really showed me, in person, how truly gifted he was at that, maybe the best goalie ever at that ability, right with Brodeur. But Barrasso is likely also an ass. And that is going to be part of his rep and legacy. He won't ever be forgotten for his play, but he won't likely make the HHOF either. But he also will be remembered for being a jerk, and that isn't because he didn't play nice with the media, as much as the fact that he really likely is a huge jerk.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I've always paid little attention to players off the ice, but then again, that's me.

I remind myself regularly that I am a fan, only. As such, I am entitled to a couple of hours of hard working entertainment (competition) by these individuals. Beyond that, nothing.

And, frankly (and this is NOT aimed at anyone who has posted in this thread), I view the baseless entitlement that "some" fans and media types today believe they have when it comes to players' lives off the ice to be voyeuristic and smarmy. (And weird.)

Tom Barrasso may very well be a boor. None of my business. And doesn't cloud my judgment of him one bit, just as Billy Smith's legendary cranky personality meant nothing to me. (Once asked Smith to do a promo for my college radio station. His reply: "pay me." :laugh: ) Because my judgment is based solely on watching Barrasso play out-of-his-mind hockey in the springs of 1991 and '92 for a Cup winning Pens team. For me, the game on the ice is the thing, the only thing. Others - fans and media alike - clearly have different standards. Their prerogative.

So, to the original question, no, I do not "blame" Barrasso for his stance one bit. For that's his prerogative.

And if his contempt for the media is what keeps him out of the HHOF (pure speculation about which I'm dubious), I'm sure he stills sleeps well at night.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
No one here knows Barrasso personally, but his popularity or hockey fame and reputation isn't subject to the evidence needed in a court case. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence he wasn't a very nice person, in virtually any context. Likely he isn't a very nice person to be around. It shouldn't really decide his HHOF status, and I don't think it really has. He is borderline for goalies making the HHOF. It is hard for a goalie to gain induction, and anything aside from his playing career doesn't add to his chances. If somehow John Davidson had Tom Barrasso's career exactly, but was John Davidson, and was popular, well liked, a successful media personality, a successful front office hockey guy... He might have a better chance at induction, but he still might not be inducted anyway. Hard to get in the HHOF as a goalie.

All of that said, Barrasso is an ass. Theo Fleury made a mess if his life, was an embarrassment to the NHL in New York and Chicago... And I think he still eventually gets in because he is legendary and loved, despite the incredible mess he was. Barrasso never was that. He was just a very good goalie with a half dozen great seasons and a bunch of good ones, who was lucky enough to play on the Lemieux era Penguins. He is not separable from Beezer or Richter, or Liut, or Vernon and so on. He is not in the echelon of the HHOF caliber goalie, but a shade below.

Reading this and hearing Patrick Lalime didn't talk to Barrasso for 3 years... Is enlightening. Lalime is, by reputation, one of the nicest, most easy going guys that has recently played in the NHL. To have him of all people refuse to talk to you for years is quite telling. People come in all shades of personality, good and bad. From almost all reports the only good thing about Barrasso was his ability to play on the ice, and literally little else. That is his legacy. I could care less if he talked to the media or not. The hockey media is largely made of idiots. I don't hate Barrasso. I am in awe of his ability to move the puck up the ice as a goalie. His short time in Ottawa really showed me, in person, how truly gifted he was at that, maybe the best goalie ever at that ability, right with Brodeur. But Barrasso is likely also an ass. And that is going to be part of his rep and legacy. He won't ever be forgotten for his play, but he won't likely make the HHOF either. But he also will be remembered for being a jerk, and that isn't because he didn't play nice with the media, as much as the fact that he really likely is a huge jerk.

Well, Lalimes biggest gripe with Barrasso was that Barrasso earned more money that he did so he got booted off the team when he was a starter just so that the pens didnt waste money on a back up.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Barasso's not the nicest guy in the world according to most accounts. Also to the person who said athletes should not be role models; I agree 110%.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here is the video from 1996 when he had a year of silence to the media

Let's face it, it's kept him out of the HHOF. Not that he didn't have a thing or two that you didn't like about his career, because there are some inconsistencies, but to me Barrasso deserves to be in there, for his playing career.

You watch this video, Barrasso is cordial, he's able to hold a conversation with someone, he is even enlightening.

Personally I think the things the media tells us and the things they throw in there are blended in so nicely we don't even notice. Think Mario Lemieux. How long did it take the public to finally respect the guy? The two Cups? Cancer maybe? Even in his first retirement in 1997 it was very prominent that Mario was a "whiner". It was almost understood by people. Yet this is a guy who at times couldn't bend over to tie his skates and he was winning scoring titles. This is a guy who blew away the league the same year he had cancer. It was insane.

So do you agree with Barrasso at this time? Would you have done the same thing as he did after getting so frustrated with the media's lies that you just put your hands up and say "I'm not talking to you."

His stance on the media did not keep him out of the hall--take a look at the group who picks the players--this is not lke MLB where the media votes--the media plays very little in the way the group thinks.

Tom Barrasso falls into the catagory of Andy Moog, Mike Vernon and a few others.

How many 30+ win seasons did Tommy have? I am counting 2

Tommy played on a few stacked teams and I think that works against him

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah, Barasso's not the nicest guy in the world according to most accounts. Also to the person who said athletes should not be role models; I agree 110%.

Well, some athletes are good role models, some aren't. No different than the general public.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Well, some athletes are good role models, some aren't. No different than the general public.

Barrasso was his own worst enemy with the media and the fans.

If you do not think athletes should be role models then who should?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada

I didn't say that. Some athletes, maybe many are good role models, as are many members of society. Some athletes of note are Gretzky, Beliveau, Sheldon Kennedy, Roberto Clemente, Drew Brees, Muhammad Ali, etc...I won't list the bad ones. We all know who they are.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Barrasso was his own worst enemy with the media and the fans.

To me, it depends on how far someone should be emulated. If a kid wants to look up to a pro athlete as an example of how successful someone can be through hard work and dedication, fine. If they want to look up to a pro athlete as an example of how to live life outside of the playing surface, there's bound to be a pretty rude awakening.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
His stance on the media did not keep him out of the hall--take a look at the group who picks the players--this is not lke MLB where the media votes--the media plays very little in the way the group thinks.

Tom Barrasso falls into the catagory of Andy Moog, Mike Vernon and a few others.

How many 30+ win seasons did Tommy have? I am counting 2

Tommy played on a few stacked teams and I think that works against him

To be fair though, he only played 60+ games twice. The 1970s and 1980s were generally when goalies had split duties. Even Fuhr was pretty much 50/50 with Moog in the regular season. Vezina winners in the 1980s didn't usually win 30 games. Put it this way. In 1985 Barrasso had a 25-18-10 record. He led the NHL in shutouts (5) and GAA (2.66). This wasn't even his Vezina year. He finished 2nd to Lindbergh in 1985. Goalies weren't really playing 70 games at this time. Billy Smith as well has one 30+ win season. But only one NHL season where he played more than 46 games. So this was normal then.

Barrasso did have a 43 win season among those 30+ win seasons. 5 times in the top 3 for Vezina voting. He's got a heck of a case for the HHOF I think.

I've always paid little attention to players off the ice, but then again, that's me.

I remind myself regularly that I am a fan, only. As such, I am entitled to a couple of hours of hard working entertainment (competition) by these individuals. Beyond that, nothing.

And, frankly (and this is NOT aimed at anyone who has posted in this thread), I view the baseless entitlement that "some" fans and media types today believe they have when it comes to players' lives off the ice to be voyeuristic and smarmy. (And weird.)

Tom Barrasso may very well be a boor. None of my business. And doesn't cloud my judgment of him one bit, just as Billy Smith's legendary cranky personality meant nothing to me. (Once asked Smith to do a promo for my college radio station. His reply: "pay me." :laugh: ) Because my judgment is based solely on watching Barrasso play out-of-his-mind hockey in the springs of 1991 and '92 for a Cup winning Pens team. For me, the game on the ice is the thing, the only thing. Others - fans and media alike - clearly have different standards. Their prerogative.

So, to the original question, no, I do not "blame" Barrasso for his stance one bit. For that's his prerogative.

And if his contempt for the media is what keeps him out of the HHOF (pure speculation about which I'm dubious), I'm sure he stills sleeps well at night.

Sort of the same with me. Rocket Richard was pretty cranky to this young guy here the only time I met him. His piercing eyes scared the heck out of me. He was a little perturbed at me and gave me a look I've only seen either one of my parents, grandparents or aunts and uncles give me. He was a fierce and intense man even when I asked him for an autograph...............at an autograph signing! No, it doesn't change a thing with me. This is the man he probably was. Might have had some years of being mistreated that hardened his heart a bit. Either way, his intensity on the ice sure paid off though didn't it?

Here's a question, back in the early 1990s Charles Barkley famously said: "I am NOT a role model." It created a fuss. People thought he should have been. He was a guy hanging around Madonna at this time (take that any way you'd like it from a "role model" standpoint) so to be honest I think he is actually pretty accurate with that. Maybe we shouldn't put these guys on a pedestal, or maybe the media shouldn't right about every little thing they do.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
When I covered Boston sports, you just knew who the jerks were, both home and away teams.

Will Clark was a massive tool. Harold Baines too. Eddie Murray, Joey Belle and Lofton were just horrendous. Nomar was a jerk - narcissist. Randy Johnson puts all of them to shame. I once asked him straight up "what happened in the 7th inning?" and he said "why don't you do what I do and actually earn your paycheck".

I wondered if he was implying I wasn't watching the game, but he knew why I was asking. He just wanted to be a jerk. I told him "OK, I'll just ask someone else".

The hockey players were ok. Bob Hartley was a rude, condescending turd, while Mike Keenan was outstanding to talk hockey with.

I don't think it has anything to do with media or job title. I just think people are jerks by nature or the kind of household they grew up in.

In 2000 or 2001 I covered a Magic-Celtics game. That day, I think the Dolphins were playing the Bills or Jaguars in a playoff game. I went in to get quotes and saw Doc Rivers, Outlaw, Pat Garrity and a few others watching the game. So instead of getting quotes, I stood beside them and watched the game. For 15 minutes we were all chatting about football like we were best buds. Doc Rivers even asked me where I was from after he heard my Brooklyn accent.

Most athletes are either cordial because their organization mandates it (Yankees), their publicits/agents tell them to or they were raised right.

The guys that are blatant dicks do it because they obviously have massive insecurities and physically refuse to bring themselves to being cordial.

On the flip side, I've definitely worked alongside pushy, combative reporters who just don't get it, or have an axe to grind.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I'm not sure if I've seen any Penguins' player during the '90s called out as much as Barrasso was, especially during the end of his tenure.

"If he can find somebody willing to absorb Tom Barrasso's recurring attitude inflamation, he ought to look hard at issuing another boarding pass. This transparent scenario is which every time the former No. 1 goaltender goes off to nurse some pesky injury after playing poorly or not frequently enough to support his self-image has gone to tatters."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=VoRIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r28DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6965,3946540

"Has there ever been a more universal rendering of "Good riddance" than the one delivered when washed-up goalie Tom Barrasso was traded to Ottawa the other day? It's hard to remember a more reviled athlete in this city than Barrasso, who was intensely disliked on every front. By nature of his sour personality, his me-first attitude and misplaced arrogance, Barrasso had made himself hugely unpopular with almost everyone - teammates, fans, and media.

If we are to take (Craig) Patrick as his word when he said, "We had no intention of trading Tom Barrasso," that surely means this apparent stroke of genius was little more than dumb luck.

The sad truth is that Barrasso intimidates almost everyone. Patrick admitted as much when he acknowledged he was slow to contact Barrasso, who had a no-trade clause in his contract, about the deal. "Quite frankly, I was afraid to call him, " Patrick said. "I didn't know how he'd feel about it. Would I ruin him for the rest of the year if he wasn't the least bit interested because it would show that we weren't wiling to keep him?"

Why should Patrick be concerned about the feelings of Barrasso, a man who has consistently shown no concern for the feelings of people in the Penguins' organization? And why should Patrick be concerned that Barrasso might be miffed to learn that the Penguins were considering trading him? Patrick should have been on the roof of Mellon Arena shouting about Barrasso's availability.

...Senators' goalie Patrick Lalime, a former Penguin who replaced an injured Barrasso for part of the 1996-97 season, has bitter recollections:
"I was having success and I think that was tough for him," Lalime told the Ottawa Sun. "I'm not sure he knew how to take it. By the end of the year, we'd see each other in the dressing room and we'd just cross paths. We wouldn't look at each other and we weren't on speaking terms."
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...F4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KXADAAAAIBAJ&pg=3556,4777774

That last quote sticks out, as it was a former teammate (at the time) who had nothing to gain by making the comment.

His attitude problems were even something that was brought up early in his career, even from the day that he was traded to Pittsburgh.
"Tom Barrasso is one of hockey's foremost enigmas, with a reputation for carrying his team on the ice and disrupting it in the locker room"
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mIMcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=b2MEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3623,7408365

"Barrasso has been widely assailed for being a poor team player, a factor that probably influenced Buffalo's decision to trade him.
Barrasso left Team USA after one game during the 1986 World Championships in Moscow and has been accused of declining to accept responsibility for poor performances."
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mIMcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=b2MEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2818,7447564

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Tom Barrasso may very well be a boor. None of my business. And doesn't cloud my judgment of him one bit, just as Billy Smith's legendary cranky personality meant nothing to me. (Once asked Smith to do a promo for my college radio station. His reply: "pay me." :laugh: )

Looks him him and Billy have something in common

Barrasso and Fleury never have spoken.

Fleury would like to have that conversation, though Barrasso doesn't “know an event or a time that would occur that would bring that to be.â€

Barrasso, currently out of hockey, said he has no desire to reconnect with his Pittsburgh roots unless there's a job involved.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/7146122-74/barrasso-fleury-penguins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad