Speculation: Do you believe it's generally in the best interest of a Player to "Answer The Bell"?

Betamax*

What does that embarrassing display have to do with who won game 7?

What was exactly "embarrassing" about the display?

Furthermore, I asked you earlier, do you know what was the "Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria" moment that precipitated that brawl? In other words, do you know why the brawl started in the first place?

Not surprised that you decided not to, uh ... "Answer the Bell" when it came to that question ....

re:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
What was exactly "embarrasing" about the play? Furthermore, I asked you earlier, do you know what was the "Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria" moment that precipitated that brawl? In other words, do you know why the brawl started in the first place?

Not surprised that you decided not to, uh ... "Answer the Bell" when it came to that question ....

re:

If I need to explain why Gino was an embarrassment in that clip, I'm going to embarrass you as well...I won't waste my time with that.

Allegedly...Glenn Anderson speared Pavel in the face. Not that I don't think its above Anderson to spear anyone, anywhere, at any time...I don't necessarily believe Gino and I don't think that was the appropriate response.

Betamax*

If I need to explain why Gino was an embarrassment in that clip, I'm going to embarrass you as well...I won't waste my time with that.

Allegedly...Glenn Anderson speared Pavel in the face. Not that I don't think its above Anderson to spear anyone, anywhere, at any time...I don't necessarily believe Gino and I don't think that was the appropriate response.

Uh, so Canucker ... I believe the actual incident that preceded the brawl was that Anderson was polking at Whitmore's pads after the whistle in search for more goals when they were already blowing out the Canucks.

Why didn't the Canucks players just stand there and hope the Refs would give them a PP as you suggested was the mindset of Daniel to be the human equivalent of a Piñata (when the game was all but over)?

re:

You're wrong.

Daniel Sedin's willingness to take the abuse showed me the level he was prepared to go to win. He's more valuable on the ice trying to earn a PP than going off to the penalty box to sit with some meathead. This was a failure of the referees more than anything else. There should be absolutely no expectation that Daniel is going to stick up for himself in a physical manner, its not his game, it's not his personality...its just not him. The way he tries to stick up for himself is to try and generate offense and win the game....leave the physical game to those who are better at it.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Uh, so Canucker ... I believe the actual incident that preceded the brawl was that Anderson was polking at Whitmore's pads after the whistle in search for more goals when they were already blowing out the Canucks.

Why didn't the Canucks players just stand there and hope the Refs would give them a PP as you suggested was the mindset of Daniel to be the human equivalent of a Piñata (when the game was all but over)?

re:

Gino went nuts on Anderson because of a spear, perhaps you need to google it.

Because not all Canucks have the same mindset as Daniel Sedin?

Betamax*

Gino went nuts on Anderson because of a spear, perhaps you need to google it.

I was referring to the actual start of that particular brawl [which the youtube clip didn't show] and what precipitated it. Anderson was digging at the puck after a Whitmore save.

I'm going off my own personal memory, not some third hand google search like you seem to be relying upon.

Because not all Canucks have the same mindset as Daniel Sedin?

The mindset to be bullied?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I was referring to the actual start of that particular brawl [which the youtube clip didn't show] and what precipitated it. Anderson was digging at the puck after a Whitmore save.

I'm going off my own personal memory, not some third hand google search like you seem to be relying upon.

The mindset to be bullied?

Apparently you shouldn't trust your memory.

Edit: Also, if that brawl was precipitated by some poking of the puck from a goalie, and not (allegedly) Anderson spearing Bure, what does it have to do with this nonsensical thread?

If you think he's being "bullied" that can be your perception of it...I'm sure if you asked Daniel Sedin about it, he'd probably just say he wasn't going to fight that idiot and expected the ref to take some kind of control.

Last edited:

Betamax*

Apparently you shouldn't trust your memory.

My memory is pretty good. Thank you very much. Are you just relying on google search accounts or your own personal memory? Did you even follow the team back then? I wasn't referring to just Gino but why the brawl involving other Canucks players started in the first place. I'm 99.999% sure it was what I describe it to be.

If you think he's being "bullied" that can be your perception of it...I'm sure if you asked Daniel Sedin about it, he'd probably just say he wasn't going to fight that idiot and expected the ref to take some kind of control.

What do you think the perception of others are and why have they ... I'm also referencing his brother have this, uh, 'S' word reputation (originated from broadcaster Neil Macrae) and re-iterated by others?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
My memory is pretty good. Thank you very much. Are you just relying on google search accounts or your own personal memory? Did you even follow the team back then? I wasn't referring to just Gino but why the brawl involving other Canucks players started in the first place. I'm 99.999% sure it was what I describe it to be.

What do you think the perception of others are and why have they ... I'm also referencing his brother have this, uh, 'S' word reputation (originated from broadcaster Neil Macrae) and re-iterated by others?

I'm 99.999% sure you're wrong.

I've followed the Canucks since the 82 Cup run and no, I don't recall every bit of Canuck history...I have a life. So when I don't recall something, I use the internet.

Wow...if Neil Mcrae said it, it must be true....especially if it's parroted around by other inbreds. My apologies to you Sir, I shouldn't have doubted your ironclad sources.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I wonder if more players have been hauled off the ice on a stretcher for refusing to fight or as a result of fighting and getting their bell rung...

Betamax*

I'm 99.999% sure you're wrong.

I've followed the Canucks since the 82 Cup run and no, I don't recall every bit of Canuck history...I have a life. So when I don't recall something, I use the internet.

Don't be so sure. I didn't pick my user name by accident.

The early to mid 90s was where I paid attention to the team in excruciating detail. The Internet and youtube weren't ubiquitous and for a kid, there weren't many other options to get your hockey news outside of your television set. Recorded every game and highlight that aired ... especially when it came to games with good hockey fights when I had the chance to. I remember the incident very well. Anderson took a wild stab at the puck when Whitmore was froze the puck. All Canucks players went after him, I think it was Linden who got the best shots at Anderson, whom I think he bloodied during the brawl. I think I watched the highlight or lowlight several dozen times. The youtube link doesn't show the few seconds that precipitated the brawl. Note the location of the brawl and why Whitmore was involved.

I believe it is you, sir, that is misremembering.

I would appreciate it if someone of credibility here (besides myself) could confirm or deny this account.

Wow...if Neil Mcrae said it, it must be true....especially if it's parroted around by other inbreds. My apologies to you Sir, I shouldn't have doubted your ironclad sources.

Again, you are mis-reading what I'm writing here. I'm saying that it was Mr. Macrae who first made the "Sisters" reference and popularized it and the term still lingers on to this day. Just peruse the rest of hfboards or other similar types of boards and see how other "fans" of hockey that aren't enamored with the twins use it in a snarky way when referencing them ... almost as frequently as some posters here like to use the term "narrative."

Betamax*

I wonder if more players have been hauled off the ice on a stretcher for refusing to fight or as a result of fighting and getting their bell rung...

Well, Proto ... on the topic of wondering ... I wonder what you and my other good hfboards buddy, dave here thinks of the following:

This ...

2gujyc3.gif

and this ...

2dgnalf.gif

Why did you think Jumbo Joe "trolled" both of the twins in those two incidents cited above? Besides the obvious of him acting like a Jumbo "Dick" ... Similarly, why did you think Marchand used Daniel as his his personal Piñata as referenced previously?

Thoughts or special insights you care to share?

p.s. These questions are of course, open to everyone else here who has an opinion on this particular issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Gino wanted to kill Anderson bc of a spear/attempted spear to the face of his good buddy Pavel Bure some time earlier.
Gino loves Pavel, and he waited for the right time to seek justice. Anderson digging into Whitmore's pads at a covered puck was that opportunity.

Like Betamax I was a Canucks nerd for most of the 80's and 90's.

I believe you can YouTube a TSN "Off the Record" with guest Gino Odjick to confirm what caused Gino to go crazy...

On a side note:
I had driven from Vancouver to St Louis (where I was going to go to college) and missed watching/listening to my first playoff Canuck game ever. We rolled into St Louis late at night, and I immediately tried to find out the score in the game. I was disappointed as heck to learn we lost. But I had no idea what transpired in the game...

Off to my first day of college I go in the AM. Between my first two classes I find a newspaper box to read about the game. Gino Odjick, shirt off, is on the front page of the St Louis Post Dispatch.

I was happy as sin to see that Gino went down swinging.
The game was different back then. Now, I'm not so sure I'd feel the same way.

Betamax*

Gino wanted to kill Anderson bc of a spear/attempted spear to the face of his good buddy Pavel Bure some time earlier.
Gino loves Pavel, and he waited for the right time to seek justice. Anderson digging into Whitmore's pads at a covered puck was that opportunity.

Like Betamax I was a Canucks nerd for most of the 80's and 90's.

I believe you can YouTube a TSN "Off the Record" with guest Gino Odjick to confirm what caused Gino to go crazy...

Yeah, that may be the case but it was Anderson's poking of Whitmore's pad while he was freezing the puck that got all the Canucks players after him that started the brawl. I mean if Gino went "crazy" just for the spear, he would have attacked Anderson before that, eh?

On a side note:
I had driven from Vancouver to St Louis (where I was going to go to college) and missed watching/listening to my first playoff Canuck game ever. We rolled into St Louis late at night, and I immediately tried to find out the score in the game. I was disappointed as heck to learn we lost. But I had no idea what transpired in the game...

Off to my first day of college I go in the AM. Between my first two classes I find a newspaper box to read about the game. Gino Odjick, shirt off, is on the front page of the St Louis Post Dispatch.

I was happy as sin to see that Gino went down swinging.
The game was different back then. Now, I'm not so sure I'd feel the same way.

Back then I was huge fan of hockey fights. In recent years ... with the concussion issues and sad deaths of enforcers such as Probert, Boogaard, Rypien, Belak for example ... not so much anymore because of that.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

That's not a fair comparison at all. For every coward like Orpik there are 100 guys that will back up what they do out there.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
That's not a fair comparison at all. For every coward like Orpik there are 100 guys that will back up what they do out there.

No, but it's a fair response to someone using dumb anecdotal evidence of stretchers to suggest that not answering the bell was the reason it happened ;)

Betamax*

No, but it's a fair response to someone using dumb anecdotal evidence of stretchers to suggest that not answering the bell was the reason it happened ;)

So Proto, do you think it was "dumb anecdotal evidence" that the United States of America was facing a Terrorist Threat when the twin WTC towers were destroyed back in 9/11/11?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
So Proto, do you think it was "dumb anecdotal evidence" that the United States of America was facing a Terrorist Threat when the twin WTC towers were destroyed back in 9/11/11?

I'm struggling -- and failing -- to even wrap my head around what point you're making here.

What I'm doing is pointing out that you're referring to three incidents where someone was stretchered off the ice, and I'm noting that it's a poor argument. Further, you seem to fancy anecdotal arguments/posting youtube videos of movies/referring to quotes that people have made, and that none of this is very compelling to me. All I was illustrating is how pointless that sort of argument can be.

Morevoer, I think if every person that threw a clean, hard bodycheck had to fight a talentless thug like Shawn Thornton, more people would be stretchered off the ice than three a decade.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
After Franz Fredinand was assassinated on sept 11, 2001 to start the Vietnam war, Glenn Anderson totally answered the bell by carrying a stretcher with Joe Thornton on it across the Rubicon to bring his mutinying troops, which included Brad Marchand, to overthrow Daniel Sedin by blocking shots with John Tortorella.

Here is a video of a cat riding a roomba, as determined by my eye test.

I rest my case, *******s.

Narrative.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
After Franz Fredinand was assassinated on sept 11, 2001 to start the Vietnam war, Glenn Anderson totally answered the bell by carrying a stretcher with Joe Thornton on it across the Rubicon to bring his mutinying troops, which included Brad Marchand, to overthrow Daniel Sedin by blocking shots with John Tortorella.

Here is a video of a cat riding a roomba, as determined by my eye test.

I rest my case, *******s.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I started laughing at "to start the Vietnam war". That was good.

In fairness to Betamax, I think he/she seems like a pretty smart person. I just think the relentless hammering home of anecdotal points as if they're hard facts™ is not persuasive to me. It feels like being part of a peer-lead debate class or something.

I think it's an intentional "technique" if you will. He/she even admitted on this page of the thread that fighting has caused so many off-ice problems that he/she doesn't enjoy fighting anymore, so I have a hard time believing betamax is serious about this particular issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad