Do we want Kessel and Phaneuf back for next year?

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
They both have value that isn't likely to increase, and neither are part of the long term picture, they should be liquidated as soon as possible.

Nothing against either, but they're just chips to be cashed in at this point for futures.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They both have value that isn't likely to increase, and neither are part of the long term picture, they should be liquidated as soon as possible.

Nothing against either, but they're just chips to be cashed in at this point for futures.

Some people think that their value will rise as they age. If they are not moved this season, their value will continue to drop.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Nah of course not. No way Babcock would like to play with these ones ether. These are horrible individuals who don't play enough good for the team. Phaneuf probably has fought more for the team, but he's just not good enough as a player to stay with the best (Babcock).

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
A lot of people compare Kessel to Patrick Kane and I think that is a very good comparison. In watching these games, I also think Jonathan Bernier compares very favorably to Corey Crawford. Where the comparison ends is Jonathan Toews and that wonderful defense that Chicago has. Here is to hoping that we land Noah Hanifin who can get us one step closer to the Hawks.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
To me it ain't.

If my team gives all it has like all those Sundin, Quinn, Nieuwendyk, Steve Thomas, Mogilny, Belfour, Tucker, Domi Corson teams gave all they had and they did something SPECIAL and DIFFERENT on the ice it was much more important than losing or winning. I was entertainent like the gladiator says.
These are tough games where blood is shared and dangerous things happen. Even deaths. So then it's life and death, cause it's entertainment. Nothing and I mean nothing has changed after the times of rome. People still want to see blood and special surprising things in sports. Entertainment is the thing we pay for. We don't watch these sports and I even invest in this organization if we don't enjoy what we see. My best leafs memories are still from all those sundin tucker teams who beat the senators again and again and almost fought for the stanley cup. They were very special teams with special personel in em.

To each their own. I prefer to be entertained by a team that wins while you don't care whether or not they win as long as you got your jollies watching the game.

In your world if the Leafs played boring hockey but won the Stanley Cup you wouldn't be happy. Seems very odd to me but it's your life.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Let's just morph them together into a single player.

Wait a minute..... you still have an elite goal scorer, who's horrible at defense.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Also, regardless of what you think about their on ice performance, I don't understand why people continually attack Phaneuf and Kessel's character.

I think in their time in Toronto they have carried themselves with class at pretty much all times and have generally said and done the right things the vast majority of the time.

I think it's very strange people crap all over Kessel for "character" meanwhile I heard some people suggest Seguin should be a Hart Trophy candidate. Seguin was traded from Boston for character issues, caused a ****storm with stupid comments on a radio station this year (with his captain to boot) and then was suspended the last game of the season by the team for off-ice discipline.

So people lament like crazy that we don't have Seguin on our team but then say Kessel needs to be traded because he doesn't have character. In what universe can that possibly make sense? It's completely irrational thinking.

I do realize the second half of last season was unbearable to watch. But you have to be careful not to make too many rash judgements based on that. Last season was a complete disaster for a myriad of reasons. It's dangerous to evaluate players based on that environment. I don't think anyone would have looked good playing in that circus.

Sequin is twice or maybe three times the player $95Mill Phil is. Horrible comparison.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
A lot of people compare Kessel to Patrick Kane and I think that is a very good comparison. In watching these games, I also think Jonathan Bernier compares very favorably to Corey Crawford. Where the comparison ends is Jonathan Toews and that wonderful defense that Chicago has. Here is to hoping that we land Noah Hanifin who can get us one step closer to the Hawks.

We're exactlly like the Hawks, except we don't have Toews and a great d-core. Great! :sarcasm: By the time this team is ready to compete for the Cup, Kessel will be way out of his prime and not even close to what Kane is now. Better move him now, and get good pieces for the future.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We're exactlly like the Hawks, except we don't have Toews and a great d-core. Great! :sarcasm: By the time this team is ready to compete for the Cup, Kessel will be way out of his prime and not even close to what Kane is now. Better move him now, and get good pieces for the future.

or Saad or Sharp or Hossa or Shaw and you're right if/when we get those pieces Kessel will be out of his prime

I have no idea how many times this has to be said before it sinks in .

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I couldn't care less if they are moved.

I'm OK with Kessel, but the Kessel "deal" I've always thought was a bad idea from the get-go. It was the wrong deal at the wrong time. Its still the "wrong time". Our situation hasn't changed much.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I think Babcock likes Phaneuf. Highly doubt he gets traded unless its equal or overpayment.

That was probably the only reason Detroit wanted him last year due to Babcock.

Now Babcock is gone.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Wouldn't mind keeping Phaneuf. Under Babcock and a solid system he could flourish and become essentially our Niklas Kronwall on defense. Kessel on the other hand has to moved by any means neccessary. He's a disease, and must be exterminated before it can spread to the next generation of Leafs,

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
we should just keep our entire core because for some unknown reason some of our fans believe with a new coach this group which has led us to endless bottom 5/10 finishes is good enough to lead us to the cup

and if they fail under babs we'll just blame him and have faith that the next new coach can win a cup with this core

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think we will have a choice but to see them stay it sounds like lol

Thanks Burke and ur girlfriend NONIS

Wut? If anything it's the opposite. Talks are starting to ramp up.

It's not a surprise that the Leafs have a high asking price for Kessel. They should.

There's a big market for a guy like Phaneuf as well. (Even Nonis said this after he got fired. Said he got plenty of calls about Phaneuf)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wut? If anything it's the opposite. Talks are starting to ramp up.

It's not a surprise that the Leafs have a high asking price for Kessel. They should.

There's a big market for a guy like Phaneuf as well. (Even Nonis said this after he got fired. Said he got plenty of calls about Phaneuf)

talks aren't heating up going by reports , it seems teams believe the asking price is way too high on PK and they aren't interested until the asking price drops

Nonis said they were teams interested DP but going by the best offer at the t/d , no one seems to be offering much

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
talks aren't heating up going by reports , it seems teams believe the asking price is way too high on PK and they aren't interested until the asking price drops

Nonis said they were teams interested DP but going by the best offer at the t/d , no one seems to be offering much

"A lot of teams like him,†said Nonis

That's all Nonis said. Also, now that we are in the offseason, more teams will be serious about Phaneuf and can work the salary into their team easier.

Also, it was one "executive" who said the Leafs ask was high. Which is expected. It's negotiations. You never start at your base point.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
"A lot of teams like him,†said Nonis

That's all Nonis said. Also, now that we are in the offseason, more teams will be serious about Phaneuf and can work the salary into their team easier.

Also, it was one "executive" who said the Leafs ask was high. Which is expected. It's negotiations. You never start at your base point.

if so many teams liked him they would have come up with at better offer at the t/d

i heard two executives and i haven't heard one team being very interested in meeting or even negotiating off our asking price on PK

we'll soon see and hopefully we can get decent value back so we can move on from the DP/PK era

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
if so many teams liked him they would have come up with at better offer at the t/d

i heard two executives and i haven't heard one team being very interested in meeting or even negotiating off our asking price on PK

we'll soon see and hopefully we can get decent value back so we can move on from the DP/PK era

There's no salary cap in the offseason. This gives teams the freedom to actually make a trade on higher contract guys. Less restrictions, more flexibility. Think about it.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

Funny thing is teams are happy to pay their best players, like TO did with Kessel and Phanny, because they are the difference between winning and losing and if Phanny was traded for like the reported Det. package last year TO would now have Smith, Weiss, Det's #1 maybe even Mantha. Det really doesn't want Smith so he and Weiss would be salary dumps, Mantha was a disappointment somewhat last year plus he was a low draft choice and this year's choice would also be low so what was in this transaction for TO.

I only see the Draft Choice Junkies being satisfied with this transaction, TO possibly ends up with never ready for prime time players in Mantha and Det's #1 while eating roster positions and $s for unwanted players. I think there's little chance TO's future prosperity would be assured by transactions of this sort and TO may actually regresses because of these ill conceived moves, we need far more vision and worthwhile actions that do assure us something in the future or we should continue our rebuild that is now in it's 10th year.

If TO trades away it's best assets without proper return then the scorched earth rebuild will simmer for far longer than it needs to, Phanny and Kessel are excellent pieces with which TO can continue the rebuild, give both or either the right environment and who knows what the future might bring.

TO needs to be in the driver's seat, either Phanny and Kessel are coveted or their are not but they should be valued in TO because our future Leaf teams are tied totally to them. Would we have felt better despising Weiss and Smith, I don't think so.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

Couldn't have said it better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad