Speculation: Do we need to add grit?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In every season the Red Wings have been accused for being soft.

Are we soft this season?

Should Holland go after a gritty defencemen or a gritty 4th liner or maybe both?

Could Chris Neil and Nicklas Grossman be something for us?

Miller - Glendening - Neil

Smith - Grossman

What gritty players are available?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No, you develop grit to a certain level. Paying for it is generally insane. What is Neal worth on the market? Too much. "Gritty" guys are basically the most overpaid guys in the league given what they bring.

You hope a Tyler Bertuzzi brings it. Glendening brings it. Abdelkader brings it. Ericsson is a pretty heavy guy whether or not people want to credit him. The Wings play a hard honest game, they don't get pushed around or physically manhandled often. Take the hit to make a play and finish your checks as a roster they do a lot of that.

Fighting is at an all-time low in the league. Fighting rarely happens in the playoffs. We will see, but of the potential grit guys out there I am not a huge fan.

If you can find one with the necessary talent I am interested, but I don't see those out there. Why? Because when a team develops them they keep them until the cost becomes prohibitive. In fact when they want to give up on a player that brings that element you should be very cautious. Those players also historically breakdown a lot quicker.

Grossman doesn't really fit the speed element of this team. Sure he doesn't get knocked around a ton, but he gives up the puck a ton. Not a fan of his game, his pace is lacking for our system.

Lucic seems like he will be available in a couple years, has the necessary Top 6 skill, but I doubt the cost is worth it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Are we soft this season?

Should Holland go after a gritty defencemen or a gritty 4th liner or maybe both?

Smith - Grossman

Defiantly , we're missing someone like Konstantinov or Hatcher . I would keep same up front

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Neil or Grossman arent what the wings need but ive said for years they need one more legit gritty player to have some real balance. Abby, Smith, Glendening and Ericcson are solid enough. But adding one more really gritty player in place of someone like Andersson even would be nice.

I hope Bertuzzi pans out

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think Quincey has shown a surprising amount of Grit this season, he's easily our most physical defenceman despite Ericsson having a lot of size on him.

I think we could use an upgrade in grit over Andersson or Miller, but like TZE said, you have to develop those guys because paying them what they cost in Free agency is ridiculous.

Overclass*

While I have always been a big fan of the boomers, I do think this team is gritty in a "take the hit to make the play" kind of way. As Flashy said, Quincy has been surprisingly chippy, and we do have some guys that can grind, but if we could add a Cal Clutterbuck like player who can level people AND play, I'd be all for it. Not sure if one is available in trade market that makes sense though.

In my opinion the Wing's biggest issue is lack of outlet passes from the D. This offense is not playing at it's full potential because the wingers almost always have to carry it across the line themselves.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This team could probably use Bergenheim who is on the outs in Florida, but not certain of the cost.

He is a solid battler and useful guy that provides some jam down the lineup and in the corners.

He won't be a big banger but he fits the team and represents a major upgrade over Miller and Andersson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would like a 4th line that could hit, in an ideal world. But that's a personal preference.

I would like a little more grit, but wouldn't call it a necessity.

I think more than anything we could use more guys that play a north-south game, and drive the net.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We need a little more grit on the backend. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't hate having someone like Phaneuf contract aside. I don't like the makeup of our team when it comes to playoff hockey. Most of our squad was manhandled against Boston.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Are we soft this season?

Smith - Grossman

No. They do not need a "gritty" player. They need a talented PMD who is preferably a RH shot. Grit in the way you're talking about it is highly overrated. I don't want any part of Neil or Grossmann or any player who's "grit" is their calling card.

They need guys who can help them score at ES, not guys who are going to put them on the PK.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think the price of grit is always just too expensive, and generally isn't worth what you pay for it. Unless you're acquiring a top 4 d-man that can play gritty as well as pot a few goals for you - it's just not worth it for Detroit to give up much for a bottom 6 dman or a bottom 6 forward. If you can trade a guy like Andersson for Bergenheim straight up - maybe??? But why would Florida have any interest in Andersson? Why would Detroit really care to make that move when Andersson has been pretty solid all year in his role?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the price of grit is always just too expensive, and generally isn't worth what you pay for it. Unless you're acquiring a top 4 d-man that can play gritty as well as pot a few goals for you - it's just not worth it for Detroit to give up much for a bottom 6 dman or a bottom 6 forward. If you can trade a guy like Andersson for Bergenheim straight up - maybe??? But why would Florida have any interest in Andersson? Why would Detroit really care to make that move when Andersson has been pretty solid all year in his role?

Because Bergenheim is a better hockey player than Andersson in every single possible way. But also why that deal would not happen straight up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wasn't offering Andersson straight across just saying it was a sizable upgrade. He would cost more than that, I don't think we really need it. But I was just throwing out a name of a guy that plays with some grime that would probably fit our lineup and play style very well that is very available right now.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This team isn't a grittier Anderson away from a cup and that is the only spot I see being available for an upgrade. Thus its likely to just be us wasting assets. We have too many young forwards coming up to be bringing in more bottom 6 players. Its dman or bust and being RH/ good puck mover are far more important qualities.

Nyquist and Tatar have to continue to improve vs physical play but besides that I'm not worried.

This is actually one of the more physical teams the Wings have iced in awhile. Jurco, Glenny, Big E, Quincey, Abs, Helmer, Weiss can all play the body pretty well.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
OP needs to understand the difference between grit and fighting.

One of my proudest moments as a Wings fan on HFboards was seeing Blackhawks, Sharks and Ducks fans defending Detroit from accusations of softness from Eastern Conference teams.

And losing Kindl off the roster was a massive grit upgrade in one fell swoop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad