Do we need a rental?

LandofLincoln*

It is still a long way away from the trade deadline. I feel the team is right where they need to be. No major injuries and Raanta looks like he could be a good #2 to go into the playoffs with.

The only hole is the PK and I'm not sure it is solved even if we added the best PK guy in the league. I look at it as an internal problem that we will eventually get right. We could make a trade to address it, but not sure it guarantees fixing the PK.

Adding Versteeg was out of nowhere and improved the depth better than I expected. Barring injury I'm happy with the Hawks standing patient and not making a move.

Thoughts to follow? Any rentals seem interesting or any guys like Brookbank, Pirri, Morin seem like valuable assets to move?

CertainAffinity*

No, and even if we did, adding the 2.2 mill for Versteeg pretty much means we can't afford anybody of significance.

The issues with the PK aren't personnel IMO, they're systemic. There's no reason why the players we have on this team can't pressure the ****ing points, can't outman the other team along the boards, and can't generally be more aggressive as they were last year (this would also help our 5v5 defense).

Either they're being told to be more passive (which would be idiotic), or they're ignoring what they're being told (reasons unknown).

Given what I've seen, it's more likely adding another person to that PK would only result in having another playing the exact same way. Not an improvement, just a wasted expenditure.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
No, and even if we did, adding the 2.2 mill for Versteeg pretty much means we can't afford anybody of significance.

The issues with the PK aren't personnel IMO, they're systemic. There's no reason why the players we have on this team can't pressure the ****ing points, can't outman the other team along the boards, and can't generally be more aggressive as they were last year (this would also help our 5v5 defense).

Either they're being told to be more passive (which would be idiotic), or they're ignoring what they're being told (reasons unknown).

Given what I've seen, it's more likely adding another person to that PK would only result in having another playing the exact same way. Not an improvement, just a wasted expenditure.

I completely agree. There's no reason to think another player could fix something that's not a personnel problem.

We are one of the fastest skating teams in the NHL. There's no reason we can't have someone pressuring the points on the PK except that the coaches don't want to.

LandofLincoln*

addition of Versteeg

I would like to see guys in the top six get rest. Toews comes to mind maybe two games off completely.

without Toews
Sharp Pirri Kane
Versteeg Handzus Hossa
Morin Shaw Saad
Bickell Kruger Smith
Bollig

without Kane
Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp Pirri Versteeg
Handzus Kruger Morin
Bickell Shaw Smith
Bollig

without Hossa
Saad Toews Versteeg
Sharp Pirri Kane
Bickell Handzus Morin
Shaw Kruger Smith
Bollig

without Sharp
Saad Toews Hossa
Versteeg Handzus Kane
Bickell Shaw Morin
Bollig Kruger Smith
Pirri

Kane probably doesn't need rest, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get a night off.
Toews, Sharp & Hossa would be nice to see play 78, 75, 70 games. playing 82 games and then the playoffs --well having Versteeg allows us to rest players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We don't have the cap space to do anything, do we?

Agree we have the guys to do it. We are missing one main PK guy from last year (Bolland was injured alot and wasn't a main PK guy anyway, only Frolik). We have everyone else, there is no reason we can't be effective. Losing one guy should not drop you from one of the best to one of the worst. It just seems to me on the PK Kruger and Frolik and whoever else was out there was doing a great job pursuing the puck and getting in shooting lanes, blocking shots. We look very stationary, not agggressive chasing the puck. Its hard to explain why this has happened. People are moaning at the coaches. Its the same coaches as last year, I can't believe with all the success we had they would change the strategy. Its the execution and some of the personnel, not the strategy..

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The way the PK has gone, I'm not sure even adding a dedicated PK player would help. The coaches have to do something about that.

I think Versteeg was their one significant move for the year. Bowman might move a lower, borderline roster player for a pick or prospect to allow for something else like a situational minor role player, but I think any move will have more to do with making sure they can absorb injuries while still staying below the year end cap number.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
We'll have to see what injuries are like in February. Right now we don't look like we need one, though a temporary second line center would be nice.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Khabby would have to go for us to do it, but I wouldn't mind a 4th line pker.

I like Ben Smith. Let him play and he will grow into that role, and I think he'll do it in time for the playoffs. I also really like Jeremy Morin. He makes plays and is a much better skater and a much more responsible two way player than he is given credit for. I'd love to seem him get some PP and PK minutes. His point total is actually impressive considering: 1) he gets so few minutes and 2) he's been a little snake bit.

I really believe Jeremy Morin is going to be top 6 forward for a stretch of ten or more years in the NHL.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
We'll have to see what injuries are like in February. Right now we don't look like we need one, though a temporary second line center would be nice.

I think the answer's in house. I haven't completely given up on Pirri, but I'd like to see McNeill and LeBlanc called up and given a chance. Handzus is probably the smartest option, but he's just so boring. It makes my skin crawl to see him on the ice with Patrick Kane.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
We should trade Saad for Derek Roy

2mx2vcw.gif

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I personally got a whole boatload of sarcasm from that post. Mostly due to the fact that Roy was a name quite a few people around here threw around as somebody we should trade for.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I completely agree. There's no reason to think another player could fix something that's not a personnel problem.

We are one of the fastest skating teams in the NHL. There's no reason we can't have someone pressuring the points on the PK except that the coaches don't want to.

Exactly why our coaching staff is overrated. I mean, it's so obvious what our problems are yet we continue to employ the same strategy. Not only is it not working, it doesn't play into the skillsets of our team/players. We suck at clearing the puck, and aren't overly physical in front of the net once shots start ricocheting off of the cluster**** of players in the area. It just doesn't make sense.

Pressuring the puck does several things. One is that it forces the opponent into a premature decision, increasing the odds the play ends in your favor. Two is that it allows our skillset: which is fast players with good sticks to utilize that advantage to create turnovers, eliminate possession, and create transition chances (which is our game) going the other way. Last but not least is that it eliminates the very scrum type, dirty goal scenarios that we aren't very good at defending. Why the **** are we boxing down, screening our goalie, and letting them blast away when we shouldn't be?

Q's just lucky he pulls this **** with the best roster in the NHL instead of a mediocre one or we would have been out of here a long time ago.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I personally got a whole boatload of sarcasm from that post. Mostly due to the fact that Roy was a name quite a few people around here threw around as somebody we should trade for.

I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

Mascht88

May 14, 2010
Salzburg
I like Ben Smith. Let him play and he will grow into that role, and I think he'll do it in time for the playoffs. I also really like Jeremy Morin. He makes plays and is a much better skater and a much more responsible two way player than he is given credit for. I'd love to seem him get some PP and PK minutes. His point total is actually impressive considering: 1) he gets so few minutes and 2) he's been a little snake bit.

I really believe Jeremy Morin is going to be top 6 forward for a stretch of ten or more years in the NHL.
I do like Morin as well, but unfortunately I believe he will be sent down the minute Bickell comes back to the lineup. I would prefer Morin over Bollig in that 4th line LW position though.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nothing has changed from last season. If we meet a tough physical team early in the PO's we can aways use more size and grit up front. Players like that are not easy to come by, but Stan should keep communication open.

Last edited:

member 151739

I know the PK has been abysmal, but I really don't think we need anybody. I'm sure it will get better as the season goes on. If the checking line consisted of Kruger-Handzus-Smith, I'd be blissfully happy. No trading involved. Just bring up Pirri again for the second line. I think the Hawks have all the pieces already.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Lol sorry boys. I thought everyone would remember two trade deadlines ago when half the board was clamoring for a 2c. Derek Roy was available and apparently the asking price was Saad.

So for the record, NO I don't think we should trade Roy for Saad

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Lol sorry boys. I thought everyone would remember two trade deadlines ago when half the board was clamoring for a 2c. Derek Roy was available and apparently the asking price was Saad.

I thought that rumor was Dallas asking for Saad for Grossmann...but I'm probably remembering wrong.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but that trade was never going to happen in this reality .... and I think it was unanimous around here as well (which is unusual).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad