Do we invest too much emotion in this team?

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
I care way too much about wether the Leafs win or lose. I felt exhilaration when they were on the verge of advancing past Boston the last two playoffs and utter betrayal, anger and even depression when they lost. I feel the same way now. Constantly trying to analyze and understand why my favourite team is underperforming this year. And I see it in other folks posting on this forum, expressing grief, anger, betrayal, hiding our emotions being rational analysis and dark humour.
I can say that from living a short time in Seattle and living in Vancouver that emotional attachment to a team can be both community building and frightening. In Seattle, their love of the Seahawks seems to be a thing that brings diverse communities of people together, maybe more like the Raptors in Toronto. In Vancouver I was here when emotional attachment to a sports team brought out one of the most frightening displays of anger and violence I’ve ever witnessed first hand. I was here during the riots after they lost to Boston. In fact, I remember walking downtown with my partner after Vancouver was up two games to none and seeing the drunken testosterone fuelled exuberance of massive crowds and groups of young men running and screaming up and down Granville Street and both of us agreeing that it didn’t feel safe. We walked around the corner onto Robson Street and saw all the riot cops and I remember thinking we should get out of here cause if a window got smashed behind us all hell was going to break loose. So I wasn’t too surprised when the riot actually happened after Vancouver lost games seven a week later. And I was out on that day trying to get home and it was a f——ing frightening, violent gong show.
I think it’s great to have a forum to analyze and discuss and to share our happiness, disappointment, frustration, etc. But we all need to take a deep breath and remember at the end of the day, this isn’t life and death. Not worth getting angry or depressed about, or being sulky and pissy to the ones we love. At the end of the day, it is really just a bunch of well-paid young men out there entertaining us by shooting a rubber disc around a sheet of ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer and Plat87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You’ve gotta be a hockey fan. The sun doesn’t rise and set with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They’re one of the most exciting teams in the league and a lot of fun to watch (not so much this year) ... but they’re just one team.

If you’re that mad, watch a different one? I’ve really enjoyed watching the Habs, Wings, Sabres and Avs this year.

You could also consider the Raptors. They’re a much, much easier group to cheer for right now. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You’ve gotta be a hockey fan. The sun doesn’t rise and set with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They’re one of the most exciting teams in the league and a lot of fun to watch (not so much this year) ... but they’re just one team.

If you’re that mad, watch a different one? I’ve really enjoyed watching the Habs, Wings, Sabres and Avs this year.

You could also consider the Raptors. They’re a much, much easier group to cheer for right now. :laugh:

I'm a hockey fan, but first and foremost, I'm a Leaf fan.

Re. the bolded, no matter how bad it ever gets for the Leafs, this won't be me, ever.

Raptors are awesome! Not sure why the :laugh:, the Raptors really are fantastic.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Re. the bolded, no matter how bad it ever gets for the Leafs, this won't be me, ever.

Raptors are awesome! Not sure why the :laugh:, the Raptors really are fantastic.
I was speaking more to how difficult the a Leafs are to cheer for . :laugh:

The Habs just have a lot of players I like so they’re hard not to watch, for me.

Reactions: Plat87

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
The answer to this obviously depends on the fan. I for one don't think I'm too emotionally invested because their play doesn't really affect me beyond the game. Could be different for others.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Listen, these are good problems to have. There are people out there in serious trouble. If your biggest worry is some stupid hockey team, you're golden.
This is a good point. Try to keep it in perspective.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I was speaking more to how difficult the a Leafs are to cheer for . :laugh:

The Habs just have a lot of players I like so they’re hard not to watch, for me.

sure. But you’re not a leafs fan. We’re in the heart of hockey land. Cheering for another team is a no go. Watching other teams sure. If you think we’re going to go out of our way to watch a Habs game then you just don’t understand what it’s like to be a leafs fan.

Leafs are hockey fans sure, but no we’re not cheering for other teams. It’s easy for you to come here and say this as you’re a closet leafs fan. It’s different for us.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'll be honest, I am not enjoying watching this team right now. They stink and are boring, plus the coach is getting on my nerves. So I am trying to distance myself a little bit.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Yes
upload_2019-11-19_13-45-18.jpeg

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I used to care a lot more. But after 2013, I made an effort to take some steps back. The Leafs were affecting way too much of my life. Wasnt healthy.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
sure. But you’re not a leafs fan. We’re in the heart of hockey land. Cheering for another team is a no go. Watching other teams sure. If you think we’re going to go out of our way to watch a Habs game then you just don’t understand what it’s like to be a leafs fan.

Leafs are hockey fans sure, but no we’re not cheering for other teams. It’s easy for you to come here and say this as you’re a closet leafs fan. It’s different for us.
It’s not necessarily cheering for another team as much as it’s a matter of enjoying hockey as a whole.

I’m not a closet Leaf fan at all? I don’t even know how to address that.

I prefer specific genres of music or movies more than others... but it doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy all of them. And if I see a bad movie or concert, I walk away cracking jokes at what a terrible show I just watched. I’m not upset or emotional about it. That’s just me.

Its meant for entertainment.

Reactions: egd27

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Listen, these are good problems to have. There are people out there in serious trouble. If your biggest worry is some stupid hockey team, you're golden.

Yeah the epic levels of suckage displayed by the Leafs #1PP is frustrating as hell but definitely one of those whatdyacallit 1st world problems.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’m good either way. Up until last year, I was happy watching these Leafs, whether win or lose. I thought these guys were going to be special in a good way, and worth caring about, but turns out they’re just a bunch of greedy kids. So I don’t watch, and I’m fine with that. Go Raptors.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s not necessarily cheering for another team as much as it’s a matter of enjoying hockey as a whole.

I prefer specific genres of music or movies more than others... but it doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy all of them. And if I see a bad movie or concert, I walk away cracking jokes at what a terrible show I just watched. I’m not upset or emotional about it. That’s just me.

So you're not really a Leaf fan, you're a hockey fan. That's fine, just makes a little strange that you post on the Leafs board so much but whatever. Or maybe you post just as much on the boards of other teams, again whatever.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

I figured you’re at least a slight fan of leafs considering the time you spend on here. And yes Leafs fans watch other teams. No worries there. Lol.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So you're not really a Leaf fan, you're a hockey fan. That's fine, just makes a little strange that you post on the Leafs board so much but whatever. Or maybe you post just as much on the boards of other teams, again whatever.
Not really. I spend 90% of my time on here posting on the Leafs. They’re clearly number 1.

I grew up a Red Wings fan idolizing Fedorov and Yzerman. I set that as my picture the day I joined and haven’t changed it since. ... that seems to cause a lot of confusion.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Man they keep loosing key players then the other players play like vets! It's amazing really how this is a team like a real full got each other's backs team. Shows no matter how good one player is a team coming together can over come alot.

Reactions: CincoHolio

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
What I can't get out of my mind is the Toronto Maple Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 52 years. Let that sink in!
That is unbelievable for an organization that without question has the most loyal fan base in the NHL.

FIFTY TWO f***ing years.

Hundreds of boys growing up as Leafs fans, bleeding blue and white and only one decided to play his contract out and come home and play for his home town team while he was still in his prime. Obviously I'm talking of JT.

The bloody Minnesota Wild had 3 go home, we had one :laugh:

How is this possible? 52 years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad