Do we intimidate anyone?

Do teams want to avoid Toronto?

• Total voters

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The only toughness the Leafs really need is in front of both nets. As much as Polak got dumped on, literately if Haisey could of played as tough as Polak in front of the net, the Leafs could of taken Boston. And lately it seems like the Leafs are so soft on the power-play. Either get into the open, or get to the net. If you want to stand there covered, at least do it in front of the net. When the
Leaf's power play goes dry, often a Tim Kerr, Dave Andreychuk, or even JVR-type element is missing.

RLF

May 5, 2014
You may want to check the 2012-13 Blackhawks roster and.or compare against our s before saying Hawks were not a physical team.

Bickell, Bollig, Saad, Oduya, Carcillo, Mayers, Shaw, Keith, Seabrook, Kruger.

I do not see any Goats, Pars, Nylanders, Matthews, Gardiners etc. on that team.

While you are at it have a look at the size of that team.

2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Yes, there was no talk that the Hawks "didn't play physical". What was said was that they weren't sure the Hawks could handle the physicality of the Kings. Big difference.

Reactions: ToneDog

RLF

May 5, 2014
They certainly made the most of the PP but don’t dismiss the fact that over a 7 game series, playing hard, playing heavy, forechecking the other team hard leads to mistakes, leads to maybe not being comfortable taking the half second to make the smart play and taking penalties because of it.
When you don’t pressure the other team hard, you make their 6 D all look like top 2 D. Anyone can play 20 + minutes/game when they aren’t touched. Or worried, or have to expend energy fighting to get the puck out of the zone.

And we could actually look at WHY we took so many penalties instead of just saying their PP killed us. I think we had over 20 minors in the series. Since a team like ours normally take penalties when you don't have the puck and are chasing the game...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I voted 50/50, but really it’s only the Bruins that don’t fear us, primarily due to us being their punching bag this entire decade. But beyond them, even the pride of the East in Tampa had fans wary of facing us after we beat them in January.

Tampa fans have seen this team at its best though. When the Leafs really want to try they can go toe to toe with anyone. Unfortunately that effort has happened far too infrequently and a lot of teams and fans have seen this team play some real poor hockey (even in wins), especially teams in our division who we’re 9-6-3 against (basically 9-9).

It doesn’t matter a ton if we’re feared going into the playoffs. As long as the Leafs can flip the switch come April like they have on some occasions so far this year, any team that doesn’t currently fear us will learn right quick why they should’ve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
With the new TV on the horizon we all hope that the league reverts back to the “finish your check” mentality in the playoffs. Again, no one wants to see guys running guys with elbows to the head etc, but we expect them to rush the puck carrier and rub him out, especially on the forecheck.

You can’t expect fans to watch hockey games like we saw last night. The Leafs have played too many of these and they are getting worse as season goes on.
They all seem like all star games.
Hopefully the playoffs add some intensity.
Great post.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
They certainly made the most of the PP but don’t dismiss the fact that over a 7 game series, playing hard, playing heavy, forechecking the other team hard leads to mistakes, leads to maybe not being comfortable taking the half second to make the smart play and taking penalties because of it.
When you don’t pressure the other team hard, you make their 6 D all look like top 2 D. Anyone can play 20 + minutes/game when they aren’t touched. Or worried, or have to expend energy fighting to get the puck out of the zone.
So logical.
How could a hockey fan not know that.
Literally hockey 101.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
It's 2019. We don't need physicality or goons. Game has changed.
Yeah.
And.
Flag football is great viewing.
Come on Man.
It's hockey.
There's hitting.
You can't wish it away.
Although a lot of new fans
are all for no hit hockey.
They could just watch stats
being born and us hockey guys could watch hockey.
Win/Win.

Reactions: dsred

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Largely a narrative?

What does that even mean?

It means that it is to me a much overblown critique of the roster, and is not the team's real problem. which it is continually presented as by rival fans and media, despite toughness not being the reason they lost in either first round of the playoffs the past two years.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It means that it is to me a much overblown critique of the roster, and is not the team's real problem. which it is continually presented as by rival fans and media, despite toughness not being the reason they lost in either first round of the playoffs the past two years.

Seems to me a lousy defense is what is continually being presented by rival fans and media as their weakness.

You don't think the Boston Bruins pushed the Leafs around in the playoffs last year and physically overmatched the them?

Really?

Reactions: dsred

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I'm at the 50/50 stage. I think that every team has a healthy caution when it comes to the Leafs, because they have seen the names on paper, and the top end that they can reach as a unit, and when that happens it is difficult to stop. The raw talent on the team is hard not to be wary of I would imagine, for any team. Look at how they even went toe to toe with the Lightning in January! However, I don't think that most teams fear us, dread facing us in the playoffs, or think we are unbeatable. First of all, this team has been very inconsistent this season, and last season, with stretches of really bad hockey where they barely look like a playoff team, let alone Cup contender. Secondly, they have never won a round of playoff hockey, so that resume doesn't strike a lot of fear into anybody I imagine.

So does Toronto intimidate anybody? Probably not 100%, the way a teams of the past, like Detroit, or this year's Tampa Bay, might. But I don't think that anybody is underestimating them, or relishing the chance to have to take on Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, etc in a 7 game series.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Seems to me a lousy defense is what is continually being presented by rival fans and media as their weakness.

You don't think the Boston Bruins pushed the Leafs around in the playoffs last year and physically overmatched the them?

Really?

No. We pushed them to game 7 and lost in the final period due to poor defence, Andersen playing like a sieve, and Gardiner having the worst game of his career. The defence was lousy yes, but Boston didn't win because they overmatched the Leafs physically.

Reactions: Leafidelity

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

Really?

it's gonna be the same problem this year.

Muzzin is a great addition but one guy isn't enough.

This team is loaded with A+ talent but they are also a wimp team. They are getting bounced again if they ice this roster in the playoffs.

They need to add some sandpaper (2 more guys at least) before the trade deadline if they have any hope of going deep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad