Do we have the cap room if we bought out Liles instead of Komi?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If we used a regular buy-out on Komisarek and a compliance buy-out on Liles, then yes.

Huge blunder by management, in my opinion.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
We could have used the regular buyout for Komi at 2/3's of his contract over twice the term remaining. We would have carried a cap hit of $1.4 ish for the next two years.

Excuse my crazy gorilla math, don't have the actual numbers in front of me.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If Liles really isn't in the plans for the team even this season, as appears to be the case, then this is something you can easily identify as a clear mistake. Yeah, Nonis was able to do everything he needed to do with the cap space he had, but all things being equal, of course you want more space.

The only explanation for this would be that Nonis had good indication he could be traded away, and those leads evaporated after free agency for one reason or another.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
Keeping Liles isn't the same as keeping Komi.

Back in June/July nobody knew how Rielly would look in camp, whether or not Gardiner would pick up his game from the Playoffs or have another slump, and whether Franson would be signed or not.

For all 3 of the above, Liles in my opinion seems like a more suitable replacement than the "not-so-mobile" Komisarek. So why keep Komi (or take a cap hit for the next couple of years via buyout) when Liles could potentially have been of use?

I think it came down to picking the lesser of two evils, and I wouldn't say it was such a huge blunder when the buyout decision was being made.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If Liles really isn't in the plans for the team even this season, as appears to be the case, then this is something you can easily identify as a clear mistake. Yeah, Nonis was able to do everything he needed to do with the cap space he had, but all things being equal, of course you want more space.

The only explanation for this would be that Nonis had good indication he could be traded away, and those leads evaporated after free agency for one reason or another.

It was a gamble he didn't have to make just to save...$1.6m? Now we are stuck with Liles and his $3.8m cap hit (or $3m if he goes to the AHL). It will be because of Liles we cannot keep Franson.

Back in June/July nobody knew how Rielly would look in camp, whether or not Gardiner would pick up his game from the Playoffs or have another slump, and whether Franson would be signed or not.

For all 3 of the above, Liles in my opinion seems like a more suitable replacement than the "not-so-mobile" Komisarek. So why keep Komi (or take a cap hit for the next couple of years via buyout) when Liles could potentially have been of use?

I think it came down to picking the lesser of two evils, and I wouldn't say it was such a huge blunder when the buyout decision was being made.

Komi contract ended at the end of this year.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Well, the point is that you could have bought out them both. Use the compliance buyout(which doesn't incur the caphit) on Liles instead of Komi, and then use a regular buyout on Komisarek at the smaller cap hit for just 2 years.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
Komi contract ended at the end of this year.

I understand that, but correct me if I'm wrong but with Komi there would've been 2 outcomes:

1) He plays for us or remains buried in the minors this year, while his contract runs out (and cap hit remains)
2) We buy him out, in which case the cap hit is for this year AND for next year. (Is this wrong?)

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
Well, the point is that you could have bought out them both. Use the compliance buyout(which doesn't incur the caphit) on Liles instead of Komi, and then use a regular buyout on Komisarek at the smaller cap hit for just 2 years.

Right, that's what I'm saying. I guess all I'm trying to say is that it seems to me that at the end of the day Leafs management considered Liles to be more of an asset than Komi, and they tried to avoid next year's cap hit for the sake of all the upcoming UFA's they'll have to re-sign.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I understand that, but correct me if I'm wrong but with Komi there would've been 2 outcomes:

1) He plays for us or remains buried in the minors this year, while his contract runs out (and cap hit remains)
2) We buy him out, in which case the cap hit is for this year AND for next year. (Is this wrong?)

Komisarek had a no movement clause NMC in his contract which prevents a team from placing him on waivers and demoting him to the AHL unless he allows it.

Whereas Liles with only a NTC can be demoted against his wishes and he can't prevent it.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
But at only 1/3 the cap hit, which somebody already said is 1.6, instead of the 3.8 for Liles for the next 3 years.

Right, but look I'm just playing devil's advocate here and looking at it from their perspective.

Even with the 1.6 cap hit, with Liles and Komi both gone management didn't have much to bet on in terms of D and could've likely had to go sign someone else. In which case you're now paying for their contract + the 1.6 cap hit.

Basically I think it came down to being a gamble for them, in hopes of trading Liles, and they simply wanted to save all the cap space they could for re-signing their key players next year.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
if Liles is claimed off waivers or if we can trade him for any sort of return then keeping Komi's buyout on our books for the next two years would just be yet another things for everyone on here to whine and complain about. Nonis is doing a fine job, and if we are able to get rid of Liles' salary then everything will be great.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Komisarek had a no movement clause NMC in his contract which prevents a team from placing him on waivers and demoting him to the AHL unless he allows it.

Whereas Liles with only a NTC can be demoted against his wishes and he can't prevent it.

Komi waived that clause though last season, not sure if it would carry over to this season or not though.
Regardless they were doing right by Komi with the buyout since he was a great guy through it all and never became a cancer or diva. He shut up and swallowed his pride, earning his buyout. That doesn't mean Nonis is off the hook though, unless he can move Liles without buying him out I think he made a terrible mistake and has to do whatever it takes to move him without buying him out. That being said Liles isn't a dead weight dman like Komi was so he should be able to be moved somewhere at some point, possibly someone would claim him off the waiver wire as well.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Exactly. Everybody can make better decisions....in hindsight.

Not buying out Liles was so dumb even at the time. Hell, they could have bought out Komi and Liles and kept Grabovski instead of re-signing Bozak. Leafs would be fine cap wise and they would be better at center than they are currently.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
More cap space would have definitely been nice, but at least we have a suitable top-4 replacement in case of any injury.. he played many years as a top 4 defensemen so it's really hard to ask for a better replacement..

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If Bozak walks...

Kessel might too, he had to choose Kessel over Grabo. Surprised he didn't choose to trade Komi,while eating some of that contract. Oh boy, Liles on the books for 3 years with Kessel,Phaneuff,Reimer and Gardiner to find money for.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Kessel might too, he had to choose Kessel over Grabo. Surprised he didn't choose to trade Komi,while eating some of that contract. Oh boy, Liles on the books for 3 years with Kessel,Phaneuff,Reimer and Gardiner to find money for.

I'm sure if Nonis could have traded Komi (or Grabo for that matter), he would have. Despite their inexhaustible wealth, I'm sure MLSE wasn't keen on giving Grabo that much money for nothing. I still think it will be easier to trade Liles whilst retaining some salary than either Grabo or Komi.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If we used a regular buy-out on Komisarek and a compliance buy-out on Liles, then yes.

But Liles can still play the game, and they obviously still have him in their plans.

So how can that be a "huge blunder"??

He's in the lineup. Komi wasn't.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

Agreed! Even if we didn't buy him out, we could have traded him and ate 1/2 his salary. If I'm not mistaken, it was about $3.5-4m this year. Komi was worth 1.75M-2M IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad