Do we have our 1-2 punch down the middle?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner should be a center simply because his play away from the puck is very good. Nylander isn't much of a 2-way kind of player, which is why his position in the NHL is likely the wing.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I think Kadri is our #2 going forward. He's not a #1, but I think he can be that "Elite #2" that many contending teams have.

Kadri hasn't done well at wing, so he's a center no matter what

Between Marner and Nylander, one of them will be a #1C and one will be a winger. Both will be developed as centers though. It's possible that they switch around from game to game or season to season.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Marner should be a center simply because his play away from the puck is very good. Nylander isn't much of a 2-way kind of player, which is why his position in the NHL is likely the wing.

Have you actually seen Nylander play last year? His two way play and play away from the puck was quite good. There were some concerns regarding that when he was drafted, but he's corrected them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Get to know your Nylander better.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think we have the potential to have the top 2 centers for this team going forward. The skill level and ability to play center for both Nylander and Marner should lead to one of them grabbing that #1 job in the future. Then you can hold onto Kadri and let him take the second slot.

That's some decent skill up the middle.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

In the limited time I've spent watching Nylander, his best defensive ability seems to be catching guys from behind and stealing the puck (usually in the neutral zone.) He can still do this on the wing - for defensive zone coverage Marner (based on reputation) is better. And I think most would agree that Kadri is all centre.

So I would say

Nylander - Marner -
JVR - Kadri -
Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Heh, we always have the highest expectations for the new guys :D

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
To me Marner will be a C and Nylander will probably end up on the wing simply because of play style and ability to put back pressure.

I feel we need to draft 3 more things... Well things that are crucial anyways.

-a good top six C with two way ability.
-a defenseman with all around prowess size, mobility and good passing.(Pietrangelo, Seabrook type...Doesn't need to be as good as them but something like that)
-A shooter with some size who is good all around and can be a dynamic duo with Mitch Marner(This guy could also be our top six C with two way ability, say Auston Matthews)

I would say we definitely need one more big time forward and one more big time defenseman though. (They both need some size considering Rielly is not very tall and Nylander and Marner are below 6 feet.)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

Nylander is a sneaky and crafty good two way player but i agree he doesn't quite have the balls to the wall work ethic to consistently put back pressure like Marner does.

MapleLife*

I don't think we have our 1C yet.
This is why I really wanted Hanifin so that we would at least be set on the blue line.
Next draft we will still need a 1C and 1D and theres no chance we're getting Matthews AND Chychrun. We'd be lucky to get one.

On the bright side, we're pretty set on the wings with Marner/Nylander/Brown/Johnson/Leivo/Bracco/etc.

But our top 2C and top 4D depth still leaves a lot to be desired. Its early in the rebuild though so hopefully that changes soon.

I'm getting super eager for 2016 draft already

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
This is why I really wanted Hanifin so that we would at least be set on the blue line.
Next draft we will still need a 1C and 1D and theres no chance we're getting Matthews AND Chychrun. We'd be lucky to get one.

On the bright side, we're pretty set on the wings with Marner/Nylander/Brown/Johnson/Leivo/Bracco/etc.

But our top 2C and top 4D depth still leaves a lot to be desired. Its early in the rebuild though so hopefully that changes soon.

We're actually getting neither of those two next year. The odds just aren't there.

And we'll likely never draft another player of Marner's caliber. You obviously have no idea how good he is. Embrace it.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Marner is the future #1c
Anyone saying differently hasnt seen more of him than highlights and should stop sharing opinions.
He has better hands than any leaf of the last 15 years and wants to be the next datsyuk.
After a yr or two with babcock he will be a nightmare.
And for everyone talking about how he isnt big enough he is the same size as doug gilmour cept he is 18 yrs old. He will be bigger than giroux and be twice as good defensively.
Nylander will play wing but center in certain situations.
And the goat has more than enough size to match up against the big western centers.
Imagine what kind of shut down #3 babs will make this guy.

Jun 27, 2005
The Leafs still do not have a #1C or a #1D , this is a huge problem long term. They could have had a #1D with Hanifin but they messed that one up.

MapleLife*

We're actually getting neither of those two next year

And we'll likely never draft a player of Marner's caliber until the next teardown. You obviously have no idea how good he is. Embrace it.

Never commented on how good he is. Not even a word about it.

Just don't think he's meant for center. See him more as a Patty Kane.
I hold a firm belief that a #1 center has to have some size. This is absolutely my opinion and not something I am interested in debating, but I look at a guy like Getzlaf, someone who is great at both ends of the ice and has size as the ideal 1C.
Marner or Nylander can be the #2 of the 1-2 punch while the other plays wing with the 1C.

I want to tank next year. We need another top end talent. A core of Marner/Nylander/Rielly is a nice start but its not enough.

MapleLife*

The Leafs still do not have a #1C or a #1D , this is a huge problem long term. They could have had a #1D with Hanifin but they messed that one up.

This was my thought.
Not a knock on Marner at all. I just dont see him as a 1C. Definitely a 1W though

Jun 27, 2005

This is so sad but so right. We have at least 2 more drafts to begin to even think about the future. Then we have to wait for those guys to mature.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
This is so sad but so right. We have at least 2 more drafts to begin to even think about the future. Then we have to wait for those guys to mature.
Not happening with the new lottery odds :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Morgan Rielly is already in place as our future number one. And let's see how Marner and Nylander perform before we say the number one center isn't in the organization. We could have 2, we could have 1 or we could have two elite wingers.

In 2016, we should be targeting a 1C and a 1D, that's for sure. But we also have 2017 and beyond. And there is free agency and trades.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Personally, I'd like to see them together. Throw those two together with a big mean PWF some how would be magic.

MapleLife*

Morgan Rielly is already in place as our future number one. And let's see how Marner and Nylander perform before we say the number one center isn't in the organization. We could have 2, we could have 1 or we could have two elite wingers.

In 2016, we should be targeting a 1C and a 1D, that's for sure. But we also have 2017 and beyond. And there is free agency and trades.

I agree for the most part. I think that Rielly isn't good enough defenseively to be a true #1. If we had Hanifin we would've had a legit top pairing for the next 15 years.

As for the centers, sure we could have one already in the organization, I just don't think we do. I think both Marner and Nylander are better suited as wingers and we are missing that big, 2-way, prototypical 1C that we've needed since Sundin. Auston Matthews would be a dream come true.

We defnitely have time to get a 1C and 1D. I'm just a little disappointed that we didn't take the opportunity to grab our 1D when we had the chance. Again, not a slight on Marner.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Did you forget that we have Marner/Nylander and Rielly as 1C and 1D? Nylander has played center his entire life except for in the AHL and Marner can play center or wing. You don't need to be over 6'2 to be a center man. There are a lot of guys that are 5'11 and excell at that position.

Fearless

May 6, 2010
No Mans' Land
I agree for the most part. I think that Rielly isn't good enough defenseively to be a true #1. If we had Hanifin we would've had a legit top pairing for the next 15 years.

As for the centers, sure we could have one already in the organization, I just don't think we do. I think both Marner and Nylander are better suited as wingers and we are missing that big, 2-way, prototypical 1C that we've needed since Sundin. Auston Matthews would be a dream come true.

We defnitely have time to get a 1C and 1D. I'm just a little disappointed that we didn't take the opportunity to grab our 1D when we had the chance. Again, not a slight on Marner.

Both Rielly and Hanifin and LD, I doubt they would have been paired together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad