Do we have legitimate reason to worry?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
it doesn't kill anything point I was making the point is by trading one of Malkin or Crosby you get and add the overall depth missing from this team .Do you or anyone else really think Crosby and Malkin are even going to want to continue to fail and lose in the play-off with this team no matter how many years remain on their contract they will eventually want out if they continue to lose

It absolutely kills your point. The fact you're still arguing we'd be a better team by trading Crosby or Malkin is lubricious. Their contracts are absolute steals. Toews and Kane signed 10.5m contracts. What what Stamkos signs for this summer. Or what Kopi signs for. Over the next couple of seasons, those contracts will simply get better and better. Add that in with more prospects (Despres/Harrington/Dumoulin are a hell of a lot better than 5-6 D) stepping up, and forwards like KK, Sunny, etc pushing for spots and our depth over the next year or two just from those internal options will be pretty good.

And just an FYI as you seemed to have skipped over it... Chicago's depth is so good, they need to shed 5-10m in cap space this summer to make up for Toews/Kane raises.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We can't beat our division opponents and the first two rounds of the playoffs are against the division.

Yes, worrying is appropriate. One and done.
Simply said but pretty much this. I would be shocked if we manage to handle one New York team in the playoffs, let alone two of them. Flyers are totally irrelevant, but our demons are in New York this year. That´s where our season will end.

I will not be confident against our division until they prove me wrong at least once. We can´t even win a single game when it matters. Playoffs or regular season. This team is so unclutch and predictable.

Last edited:

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Our bad games vs Metro is worrying me, but I don't think regular season games are that important. I will search it tomorrow when I have time, but we may have to check the regular season records of the last 5 Stanley Cup champions VS the teams they beat during the playoffs.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Our bad games vs Metro is worrying me, but I don't think regular season games are that important. I will search it tomorrow when I have time, but we may have to check the regular season records of the last 5 Stanley Cup champions VS the teams they beat during the playoffs.
Yeah, but it´s not like we are generally doing better in the playoffs than in the regular season. That philosophy might work with LA, but we´re a bit different. If some team has our number in the regular season and is giving us problems for a while then it´s very probable that we will have those problems in the playoffs as well. NYs know how to play us, how to frustrate us and how to hurt us. They are too confident against us and we are basically playing just to survive in those games. We can maybe steal a series against one New York team if everything goes perfectly and we are healthy enough but is there anybody here who thinks that we can beat both New Yorks?? Maybe we can get a break with playoffs matchups but I don´t think that it´s very likely to happen.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

Someone looked up the Penguins regular season record against teams they played in the playoffs:

bXkKtCt.png

Winning or losing record during the season against the team that they won against/got eliminiated by doesn't seem to matter much, it seems.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Simply said but pretty much this. I would be shocked if we manage to handle one New York team in the playoffs, let alone two of them. Flyers are totally irrelevant, but our demons are in New York this year. That´s where our season will end.

I will not be confident against our division until they prove me wrong at least once. We can´t even win a single game when it matters. Playoffs or regular season. This team is so unclutch and predictable.

Which is sad, because they used to be the "comeback kids". That was back when our stars actually were kids, though.

I could be totally off base here, but to be honest, it seems like our stars are just really amazing player - not leaders. They seem entitled and weak minded, rather than willful and demanding. There's just no swagger and resolve about them. When push comes to shove, they don't like being pushed and fold up. It's been documented by Bruce Boudreau in 24/7. The Flyers have proved it since we started playing in the CEC, and the Rangers, and now, the Islanders, have also figured it out.

It also doesn't help that Flower has seemed to have a mental collapse when it comes to high pressure situations, which is bizarre after his two Cup runs.

As far as worrying…. nah. There's nothing to worry about, unless you thought this team was built for a Cup run… then you definitely have something to worry about.

Michael8771*

Honestly, what good does worrying do?
What worrying does for me is bring about a heightened sense of urgency in identifying the problem and then doing all I could to try and remedy the matter before it becomes a lost cause. If that means I have to change a particular course of action in achieving it that's what I'll do. If you're not worried about something then logic would suggest you either don't care or you don't see a problem in the first place. And if I am a pens fan then yeah, I'd be pretty worried. What we as pens fans can do under the circumstances is gear ourselves towards another wasted season and keep expectations to a minimum. I can't speak for what the Pens brain trust will do but if I'm them I'd be rather worried also.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You don't need the best 2 players on your team to win it all that's been proven over the last 5 seasons by losing to teams with less talent but have more depth

And what also has been proven is that you need a competent coach.

Look at the list below and tell me who doesn't fit...

Babcock
Vigneault
Sutter
Julien
Quenneville
Bylsma

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
In the last years (except the short lockout season), every cup winner struggled during the regular season, so no, I don't give a shift if we win or lose in January.
I like this team, it will come togheter, losing now will strenght the team down the road.
In the last years I think we peaked too early in the season, I hope we're working to be at the top strenght in April. You can't be at your top form for 9 months in a row ...

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

It absolutely kills your point. The fact you're still arguing we'd be a better team by trading Crosby or Malkin is lubricious. Their contracts are absolute steals. Toews and Kane signed 10.5m contracts. What what Stamkos signs for this summer. Or what Kopi signs for. Over the next couple of seasons, those contracts will simply get better and better. Add that in with more prospects (Despres/Harrington/Dumoulin are a hell of a lot better than 5-6 D) stepping up, and forwards like KK, Sunny, etc pushing for spots and our depth over the next year or two just from those internal options will be pretty good.

And just an FYI as you seemed to have skipped over it... Chicago's depth is so good, they need to shed 5-10m in cap space this summer to make up for Toews/Kane raises.

Why is this so hard for everyone to understand a team with depth beats a team with no depth and the Penguins are lacking depth Im a penguins fan and would like to see them win again in the near future. You all need to stop bringing up how much Crosby n Malkin are being paid compared to anyone else in the league it doesn't matter they cant win wont win with Crosby and Malkin with the way this is currently put together there isn't enough depth on the team.Yes Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the league but their talent alone doesn't and cant make up the difference when the play a series against a team that has depth but less talent

As for Despres he is a #4 at best the other two are only prospects in the AHL saying their #5 #6 defenseman isn't a bad thing truth is they haven't even proven they can play that role in the NHL

Last edited by a moderator:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why is this so hard for everyone to understand a team with depth beats a team with no depth and the Penguins are lacking depth Im a penguins fan and would like to see them win again in the near future. You all need to stop bringing up how much Crosby n Malkin are being paid compared to anyone else in the league it doesn't matter they cant win wont win with Crosby and Malkin with the way this is currently put together there isn't enough depth on the team.Yes Crosby and Malkin are the two best players in the league but their talent alone doesn't and cant make up the difference when the play a series against a team that has depth but less talent

If you can't understand the concept of a salary cap, and how that applies to teams and their depth, then there's little point in discussing this with you. You claim Pittsburgh doesn't have the depth to win (while ignoring that the cap is forcing other teams to trade their expensive depth). Yet refuse to acknowledge that due to the very favorable contracts that Crosby, Malkin and Letang signed, that over the coming years Pittsburgh will be in a much better position to be able to afford depth throughout the lineup.

Do you know what's preventing a GM from maximizing this team's potential? 2 poor contracts. And none of those are Crosby's, Malkin's or Letangs, but rather Scuderi's and Dupuis. You move those, and you just freed up 7m in cap space to go get some more depth. Those are the moves you make to acquire depth. You sure as **** do not trade one of the best players in the league.

I could have at least understood and perhaps supported this idea 2-3 years ago when quality players were still signing contracts for ~6m. Then trading Malkin for Hall/Eberle, RNH, + might have made sense. However now with what we're seeing players sign for (Toews/Kane 10.5m, etc), that doesn't make sense. Keep Malkin and Crosby, and get them good wingers like Hornqvist and Perron who make just over 8m combined.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

You bring up Chicago needing to dump salary in the Summer They can easily do this by trading a player like Sharp who makes over 5 000 000 and still keep the depth on their team Sorry to say Chicago are in a much better situation than Pittsburgh are currently

You do realize the future for this team is now Crosby n Malkin aren't going to sit around and wait waste their best years for this team to have a real chance of winning again [edit]. IF you cant handle the truth that this team isn't good enough its not my fault

A team with depth has 4 solid lines not just 2 as the Penguins have their third fourth lines are weak and cant play or match up against the true cup contending teams

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You bring up Chicago needing to dump salary in the Summer They can easily do this by trading a player like Sharp who makes over 5 000 000 and still keep the depth on their team Sorry to say Chicago are in a much better situation than Pittsburgh are currently

You do realize the future for this team is now Crosby n Malkin aren't going to sit around and wait waste their best years for this team to have a real chance of winning again [edit]. IF you cant handle the truth that this team isn't good enough its not my fault

A team with depth has 4 solid lines not just 2 as the Penguins have their third fourth lines are weak and cant play or match up against the true cup contending teams

MOD

What's funny, is you seem to imply that we could win if we traded one of Crosby or Malkin. Because you know, then we'll have "depth". But then also say that you want to see Pittsburgh win "in the near future" yet ignore the fact that any Crosby/Malkin trade would be heavily based on futures. It would almost certainly multiple 1st rd picks and/or a couple very good prospects. Which would then set Pittsburgh back 3-5 years. We have a MUCH better chance winning simply by moving out some of the deadweight Shero signed, and making a few smaller moves and smart FA signings, while waiting for our own prospects to develop.

But apparently it's me who can't handle the truth. :shakehead

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I never really had much hope for this year to begin with, to be totally honest. The way Shero and Bylsma ran roughshod all over this organization and ****ed things up for the past half-decade couldn't be fixed in one off-season. Adding Hornqvist and Perron has been fantastic, and it's good to see flashes of brilliance from our rookies on the blueline (Harrington, Despres [yes, I consider him a rookie after what Bylsma did to his development], and Pouliot). I'm also excited to see if the apparent new and improved Fleury translates to the playoffs. The thing is, we still have work to do in order to make the leap to a legitimate Cup favorite and powerhouse. We need to continue to look for at least one more winger of Perron/Hornqvist's caliber or better for Geno, and we have to get bigger and nastier in the bottom six.

Overall, yes. We have reason to worry this season. There are several teams much better than we are. The record means nothing--this team is making the playoffs on the back of Sid and Geno alone. My issue with the way it's constructed is that Geno still needs help and with Sutter, Goc, and Spaling in our bottom six, we're missing a whole lot of snarl and grit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We had a similar skid in 2009. I'm not worried because a lot of it can be attributed to injuries. Once healthy, if we drop 10 of 14...going into the playoffs...then okay, I'm worried.

Playoffs is all about getting hot at the right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad