OT: Do we have another buyout available or not? Answer: Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Reading the CBA (Paragraph 11.18) I see, "However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period."

We had two arbitration filings, but no hearings, so we don't have another buyout available after arbitration, right? Or the fact that we had two hearings scheduled mean we're permitted to use another one?

Loophole/misinterpretation?

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Yes, we have another regular buyout available to us in about 24 hours because we had two players file for arbitration.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Any sources for this? Based on the quote above from section 11.18, we would've needed to have a "hearing" and we didn't; neither player actually went to arbitration.

I've read the CBA. I don't have it handy but the language is there, without any differentiation between players filing for arbitration and reaching arbitration. As long as Carl Gunnarsson and Mark Fraser's names appeared on the arbitration schedule, the Leafs are entitled to a special buyout period 48 hours after the last scheduled hearing.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
The key is to read Article 11.18 (with reference to Section 12.3(a)) in conjunction with Paragraph 13 of the Standard Player Contract (SPC) which I've included below.

'The Club, in addition to other rights hereunder, at its option, by written notice delivered to the Player in accordance with Exhibit 3, may terminate this SPC on the following conditions:

(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as CBA Exhibit 20, with a copy to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows: (i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).'

And there it is, starting on the third day following the settlement a 48 hour buy-out period starts.

I hope you understand now.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Leafs have a buyout available to them

SPC exhibit in the CBA. Page 318.

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).

Two criteria. The above is Paragraph 13(c)(ii)

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000. The dollar amount of $2,750,000 set forth in this Section 11.18 shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary. By way of example, if the Average League Salary for the 2014/15 League Year has increased by ten (10) percent from the Average League Salary for the 2013/14 League Year, then the figure of $2,750,000 stated in Section 11.18, shall be increased by ten (10) percent to $3,025,000.

Liles was on the reserve list. He has a cap hit higher than $2.75M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad