Do we have a season?

Do we have playoffs and a 2020/21 season?

• Yes

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Hopefully we don't have a season. Just cancel it, let everyone gets health(ier)y and start new one in October.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We might get a resumption of play if the NHL is ok with the hub cities being in Canada and the players don't complain about not being in large cities.

We are definitely not getting a 2020/2021 season. I do not expect the next season will start this year. The US is way too much of a gongshow disaster.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
We might get a resumption of play if the NHL is ok with the hub cities being in Canada and the players don't complain about not being in large cities.

We are definitely not getting a 2020/2021 season. I do not expect the next season will start this year. The US is way too much of a gongshow disaster.

Vancouver health officials already squashed that city as a potential hub city, and Vegas is a mess, as is all of America right now. It's VERY likely that Ontario health officials won't let Toronto host either. Maybe the kooks in Alberta will allow it.

Vancouver is out as NHL hub city, Canucks say they’re still excited for hockey to start

So how about............one...........hub city, in Edmonton?

Ain't gonna work.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Vancouver health officials already squashed that city as a potential hub city, and Vegas is a mess, as is all of America right now. It's VERY likely that Ontario health officials won't let Toronto host either. Maybe the kooks in Alberta will allow it.

So how about............one...........hub city, in Edmonton?

Ain't gonna work.

Oh wow, I did not know Vancouver health authorities said no.

Edmonton would be absolutely perfect and so would Ottawa (the arena is decently far from the city, easy to isolate the players/teams and low case numbers) honestly.

I'm not sure why Ottawa was never considered honestly.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Oh wow, I did not know Vancouver health authorities said no.

Edmonton would be absolutely perfect and so would Ottawa (the arena is decently far from the city, easy to isolate the players/teams and low case numbers) honestly.

I'm not sure why Ottawa was never considered honestly.

Yeah I edited my post and added a link to the article that says B.C. health officials said "no way" to Vancouver being one.

Honestly, I think that will happen everywhere in Canada. I'm not 100% sure about Alberta, although health officials there SHOULD say "no" as well.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
With COVID cases skyrocketing all over the USA to record highs does anyone think we have the playoffs this year or a season for 20-21? I'm thinking it is highly unlikely.
A rise in cases post quarantine, businesses re-opening, and in the summer gathering season was a common sense prediction. Unfortunately, it appears 50% of the population lacks any degree of common sense.

The median age for testing has dropped dramatically (from 60s to 30s). We knew as early as April a significant amount of pop was asymptomatic. Average daily testing has doubled from May to June and quadrupled from April to June. Until we see a massive spike in deaths, these increased positive tests are being over-hyped. Now, before someone freaks out, I am not saying the increase isn't concerning....but people are trying to draw catastrophic conclusions prematurely and constantly misrepresenting the data without appropriate context.

upload_2020-6-27_11-31-40.png

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I edited my post and added a link to the article that says B.C. health officials said "no way" to Vancouver being one.

Honestly, I think that will happen everywhere in Canada. I'm not 100% sure about Alberta, although health officials there SHOULD say "no" as well.

They didn't so much say no as they weren't going to bend the rules to the way the NHL wanted them and the NHL balked. But this is why in the past polls about hub cities, I assumed none would be Canadian, because it seems state leaders are far more willing to give the league what they want.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A rise in cases post quarantine, businesses re-opening, and in the summer gathering season was a common sense prediction. Unfortunately, it appears 50% of the population lacks any degree of common sense.

The median age for testing has dropped dramatically (from 60s to 30s). We knew as early as April a significant amount of pop was asymptomatic. Average daily testing has doubled from May to June and quadrupled from April to June. Until we see a massive spike in deaths, these increased positive tests are being over-hyped. Now, before someone freaks out, I am not saying the increase isn't concerning....but people are trying to draw catastrophic conclusions prematurely and constantly misrepresenting the data without appropriate context.

View attachment 351600

The death rate isn't really what matters to the league though. We always knew the risk of death was very low for a player. But players will still have to quarantine if they test positive and even with daily testing, one player could infect a number of teammates in the window before they test positive, possibly decimating a team's ability to compete. The more community transmission there is, there more chances that someone could get infected inside the bubble (either from food delivery or cleaning services, etc). A rise in testing means that community transmission might not be escalating at the rate that positive test cases are coming in, but it does still seem to be rising quite quickly in many places in the states.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With cases going up in America. I have no idea, why the NHL does not scrap this season and just play for a 20/21 season. There are no guarantees this will start on time either. This season was shot months ago. What are they thinking?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I would bet that there will be no hockey until the new year at the earliest. I can't see any major pro team sports or college football until then either. What people don't seem to understand is that the places hosting pro sports over seas have a grasp on the virus. The USA most certainly does not, and is on a fast track to a very scary situation.

The fact that Vancouver, one of the least impacted cities in the world, took a look at the NHL's plans and said no thank you to hundreds of millions of dollars and massive media exposure says a lot.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Starting to look like Canada is the only option. Even then, I'm starting to think it may not happen.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012

View attachment 351600

They also said the other day that there are at least 20 million Americans with it and most are probably asymptomatic

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They didn't so much say no as they weren't going to bend the rules to the way the NHL wanted them and the NHL balked. But this is why in the past polls about hub cities, I assumed none would be Canadian, because it seems state leaders are far more willing to give the league what they want.
Agreed. Vancouver didn’t say no. They just insisted on strict rules like isolation for two weeks and the NHL ruled them out as a city.
As a Vancouverite I support that decision.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
And with the way the Canadian government is choosing safety and health over the economy, it wouldn’t shock me if they didn’t allow any of it in Canada
Agreed. Then again, I can only really speak for Alberta, but it seems things are rapidly returning to "normal."

I'm all for safety and precaution over my own entertainment though. I'd rather be disappointed than sick.

play in EDM CGY WPG Regina

problem solved

Don't bring it to Calgary unless you want to exacerbate the problem. This city is out in force right now.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad