Do we get out of the bottom 8 this year?

Is this the year?

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Sabres have not finished outside of the bottom 8 since 2012.

That's 6 straight years of being in the bottom 8 teams in the league.

Is this finally the year where we make it out of the bottom quarter?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's going to be close.

Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit and Vancouver are comfortably worse than us.

We're in that next group with the Isles, Rangers, Hurricanes and Coyotes.

And that doesn't account for a possible surprise crap year (Vegas? Ducks? Flames? Oilers? Blackhawks? Panthers? Wild? Avs?)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes. This team will be closer to a playoff spot then a top 5 pick.

The 18-19 Sabres are probably the best Sabres team since 2007. Not that its saying much but I cant remember a Sabres iteration that had elite talent up front and on the blue line.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
85 to 90 points should get us out of the bottom 8 which is what I am hoping for because if not I am starting up the fire housley campaign.

80 points and I will hold judgement but no less than 80 points.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I feel like the easy pick is no, we don't get out of the bottom 8, but I don't think its a lost cause.

The numbers say we don't but there are always surprises, like vegas

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Right now I have:

Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Arizona, and Vancouver as worse teams most likely. IMO, looking at everything with this team, We might be better than NYR and Carolina. There will probably be a team or two that drops significantly. Hopefully our main guns stay healthy all year. At best I think we're in the 9th-10th worst team in the league.

But even then, I haven't seen enough sustainability of the little things that lead to puck possession and other aspects of the game that better teams do, vs NHL caliber teams. We almost had to go to OT vs an ECHL level team, because once again, we started to crack under the pressure of the other team coming back, and that had more to do than just goaltending. Of course, this is preseason, and we may or may not need to read too much in to that. There's a lot left unanswered, and I don't believe we have a coach on the bench that can bring out the best from this team with their decisions. I think it hampers what these guys can do.

I voted no because there's not enough known about this team, other than we're faster (which helps, but isn't everything). There's not enough to have a concrete answer. We will have injuries to our guys. I'm not sure if we're deep enough in talent to lose one of our big pieces through the year to sustain good play. Could I see the talent carrying us past the bottom 8, yes, but a lot would need to go right.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I sure as hell hope so. They're certainly capable of doing it, but we'll have to see how they play as a team. I'll go the optimistic route and say yes.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
We're still a lottery team, but I would believe jumping out of the bottom 8 is a realistic goal. Whether they get there is another story as it's a milestone that's heavy on the optimism.

I need to see them play throughout October to get a feeling on points expectations - right now, I'd be satisfied with 75ish points. We'll see if that holds up.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Right now I have:

Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Arizona, and Vancouver as worse teams most likely. IMO, looking at everything with this team, We might be better than NYR and Carolina. There will probably be a team or two that drops significantly. Hopefully our main guns stay healthy all year. At best I think we're in the 9th-10th worst team in the league.

I could see the Sabres finishing ahead of the Blackhawks and the Avs too, not because they're better but because they can beat up on the Sens, Wings and Habs all season long while the competition in the Central is terrifying this year.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Yes. This team will be closer to a playoff spot then a top 5 pick.

The 18-19 Sabres are probably the best Sabres team since 2007. Not that its saying much but I cant remember a Sabres iteration that had elite talent up front and on the blue line.
The 09-10 team won a division and had 100 points.

The division must have been weak...but you really think we're getting 100 points? Or the 96 of the following year?

I mean I'd love it, but I can't imagine expecting it

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I don't see the Sabres as a bottom 10 team this year. Multiple reasons as to why, but to summarize, youth + new attitude + goaltending.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
No surprises in who voted for which choice in this poll.

I voted Yes. :thumbu:

Eh it's not like predicting a bottom 8 is an unreasonable take for the team that finished in last place in 3 of the last 5 years.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Easily. You can't discount how huge it is that this team is almost completely clear of the Tim Murray stink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad