Do we get a Captain named within the next few months?

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think there any chance Matthews is Captain in the foreseeable future. I think if the Leafs brass were leaning that way he'd have an A by now and he doesn't. It's not a knock on him, having a young captain hasn't brought any success at all to Edmonton or Buffalo.

To me Matthews doesn't seem like the type of guy men would naturally assume as their leader. I think being himself as a cocky goal scorer ala Kane is the role that will bring him the most success.

He didn't grow up playing in the agressive/ violent canadian minor hockey system. I don't think he's ready to throw down if his linemate gets jumped, i don't think he's going to be the one holding his teammates accountable if they're dogging it at practice or showing up late ect. I just don't see any reason to make him captain beyond, he scores a lot of goals.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I’m of the opinion that a team should have a captain every single year.
This bull crap of not naming one for the last number of years is just that, bull crap.
This is an original 6 team with a storied past, it deserves a captain. Players on the current roster should have an opportunity to become an important part of Leaf history by becoming a captain.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I see it being announced this offseason, maybe around the draft.

No way a team drops a bombshell story like that leading into the playoffs, talk about a distraction and possibility of the newly anointed captain playing poorly because of it.

Personally I’d go with JT, he falls in line with all of the past Leafs captains who were all named in their late 20’s, from Clark to Gilmour to Sundin..to Tavares.

Matthews/Marner could assume the captinacy once they’re the age Tavares is now. The reality is that we have a number of players who could don the C, even Rielly if we wanted a D captain which isn’t uncommon, look at Chara.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I thought Matthews was the sure bet to be named captain going into next season. The five-year contract might change things a bit though. Then again there’s also a whole other marketing angle to this and some above might want the C on Matthews’ jersey. It won’t be Rielly as he would’ve already been named captain by now.

If I had to bet though I would say it’s probably going to Tavares.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
they haven.t had a captain in how long........

Why all of a sudden do they need one now?

they don't need one. neither does any other team. I don't know why they still have 'Captains' in this day and age anyways

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Giving the captaincy to Tavares and signing Matthews to only a 5 year deal is the opposite of good risk management.

And for those of you that don't think human emotion and being snubbed the leader of the team could play an influence (in some scenario's) just look at the NBA or most businesses. The reality is, it does matter for some players who have a deep desire to leave behind a reputable legacy.

That said, there isn't a clear choice right now and it definitely does not look like Matthews in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad