Do we get a Captain named within the next few months?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think everyone thought it was Matthew's team and his to lose but he hasn't really grabbed it and ran with it like a lot of folks were expecting. Now we have guys like Jt, Marner, Rielly, etc who have emerged as big leaders on the ice for the team and by all reports off of the ice.

I think that honestly they need someone to become captain and start holding the team accountable for their effort. It has to be someone who is respected and is usually always playing hard, hence the three names above. Do we see one named going into the playoffs? Or right after the season?

Who do you think it might be? Or does this team still lack a captain in your opinion? And does this lack of leadership become a problem when the team is trying to take the next steps?

Not to say you need a Captain or else you don't have leadership but at this point I think it's about time that it becomes "someone's" team and really focus everyone. Right now there isn't internal accountability it seems (based on the inconsistent efforts plaguing the team and general lack of urgency in "big" games).

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
If they went all this time without one, what changed now that you think they need one?

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think it'll happen in the offseason.

My vote for captain currently sits at:
1] Tavares
2] Rielly
3a] Marner (depending on what he signs for)
3b] Matthews

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If they went all this time without one, what changed now that you think they need to?

Just because something is being done a way doesn't mean that it's the best way. Besdies, potentially 3 first round exits in a row facing us, it's time for someone to step up.

What an original thought. We've never had a "Captain Thread" before.

Feel free to ignore the thread then instead of clicking on it and proceeding to complain.

Reactions: Brown Dog

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I think this guy should be our Captain:

077d0e99c015bb5f8e0c0294e0c3b7b8.png

Reactions: the squared circle

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think the captain will cause some saltiness.

Most deserving is probably Rielly or Tavares but Matthews will be mad if he doesn’t get it

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Or if we want a Captain with a flare for the dramatic, a little joie de vivre, how about this guy:

51vRMsyNnSL._SX466_.jpg

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Not going to happen soon.
There might even be an internal conflict regarding who to be C.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I actually do think it is time for a captain to be named. We can argue our preference but there is no downside to it and if it causes any of their main players to up their game that's great.

latest

Reactions: dsred

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think it will take someone stepping up in the playoffs before a captain is named. Probably one of Tavares, Rielly or Matthews. I like Marner as a player but somehow I just don't think personality wise he is there yet, on the scrums I just don't feel it. I'd say Rielly and Tavares seem closest to the candour that I would envision as a captain, but it's so hard to know what happens behind the scenes.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think it will take someone stepping up in the playoffs before a captain is named. Probably one of Tavares, Rielly or Matthews. I like Marner as a player but somehow I just don't think personality wise he is there yet, on the scrums I just don't feel it. I'd say Rielly and Tavares seem closest to the candour that I would envision as a captain, but it's so hard to know what happens behind the scenes.

The attraction with Matthews is I think it might give him a nudge. Even though JT doesn't score as often he brings his best game every night regardless. AM or Rielly, and that assumes I guess, that Matty is a something of leadership type, which like you say, isn't really clear.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The attraction with Matthews is I think it might give him a nudge. Even though JT doesn't score as often he brings his best game every night regardless. AM or Rielly, and that assumes I guess, that Matty is a something of leadership type, which like you say, isn't really clear.

Naming a player captain to motivate them is like marrying your girlfriend to try and fix your relationship.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Naming a player captain to motivate them is like marrying your girlfriend to try and fix your relationship.

I think thats what got Gretzky his captaincy. If you can put the weight on a guy to do a bit more on the nights when he doesn't feel he has it, you do it. Wearing the C means you aren't waiting for someone else to make a difference, its on you. Some nights players have that special effort and some nights they don't, even though pros are supposed to bring it all the time. It might not help everyone, but it will help some players if they are designated to be the leader every night. I don't know how much of an on ice leader JT was with Doug Weight as a captain, but probably not the same guy he is now. You could argue that he had to watch Streit and Weight before he was ready himself but with a lot of guys leadership just needs opportunity. He just has to have something in him to work with.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
C Morgan Rielly
A Mitch Marner
A Zach Hyman

I think Kap is a future candidate but still a little green. Ideally it would be Matthews but he's trending in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I think the leafs would love to give Matthews the captaincy
But there are some serious questions.

We all know he has more than elite skills but there seems to be something lacking in his determination. There are too many games he is just going through the motions. I think he is relying on his skill to score on any shot and not doing enough to change the game when those shooting opportunities don’t materialize.

I also think he really wants the captaincy but Babcock wants him to earn it. I think Matthews is blaming Babcock for his not being the captain. There is certainly a disconnect between the two and I believe one of them will have to go for us to win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad