Do the standings accurately reflect the hierarchy of teams this season?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Game 1271 has been played in the regular season and each team has played 82 games.

After a grueling season, do you feel that the standings accurately reflect the ranking of the teams?

Arguments can be made for injuries, head to head matchups, lucky teams, storybook teams, and underachieving teams.

What do you think?

What teams deserve to be higher in the standings and what teams lower?

At a glance..

Deserves to be higher:
St Louis
Florida
Ottawa
Edmonton

Deserves to be lower:
Phillidalphia
New Jersey
Washington.

Anyone else?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings#/league

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If the Stars hadn't fallen off a cliff they'd still be a top 10 team, as they were most of the season. They should be higher, but they shot themselves in the foot and collapsed on a road trip that cost them the season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If we're going by regulation record, the Panthers would be higher, while the Jackets would be lower. That would be about it. The other 15 teams that made the playoffs were in the top 16 in regulation.

Florida was 38-30-14 in 60 minutes, and Columbus was 30-30-22. The Jackets had 15 post regulation wins, to the Panthers 6. We'll see what that means for Columbus in the playoffs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If the Stars hadn't fallen off a cliff they'd still be a top 10 team, as they were most of the season. They should be higher, but they shot themselves in the foot and collapsed on a road trip that cost them the season.

As a Leaf fan I can tell you that a team collapsing down the stretch is NEVER an indication that they are a good team. Good teams get better as the season goes on not peak earlier and slowly fizzle out. It's also why I don't see Tampa making it out of the 2nd round if they don't get taken out by NJ.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As a Leaf fan I can tell you that a team collapsing down the stretch is NEVER an indication that they are a good team. Good teams get better as the season goes on not peak earlier and slowly fizzle out. It's also why I don't see Tampa making it out of the 2nd round if they don't get taken out by NJ.

I agree with you for the most part, but back in '97 the Wings won only 38 games during the season and won the Cup.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am not sure what you mean by deserve. You are what your record says you are.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I am not sure what you mean by deserve. You are what your record says you are.
Fair enough, but no doubt echoing throughout some dressing rooms and boardrooms, is the term "we deserved better"
What teams are those?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Game 1271 has been played in the regular season and each team has played 82 games.

After a grueling season, do you feel that the standings accurately reflect the ranking of the teams?

Arguments can be made for injuries, head to head matchups, lucky teams, storybook teams, and underachieving teams.

What do you think?

What teams deserve to be higher in the standings and what teams lower?

At a glance..

Deserves to be higher:
St Louis
Florida
Ottawa
Edmonton

Deserves to be lower:
Phillidalphia
New Jersey
Washington.

Anyone else?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings#/league

Every team is exactly where it should be. After 82 games if you can't get it done then you don't deserve to be in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad