Do the playoffs start too late?

Do the playoffs start too late?

• Yes

Votes: 111 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 24.6%

• Total voters

Evergreen

Yes. Start the season earlier and start playoffs earlier.

Voted yes and no.

I like that there's more hockey. But also the playoffs are fun, so I'd like them to start already!

I can't decide.
Starting playoffs earlier would entail moving the start of the season earlier, not shortening the regular season. So the amount of hockey is the same.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yes. Minimizing cross sport playoffs would be ideal.

Starting the NHL playoffs earlier would cause a big overlap between the Stanley Cup Finals with the NBA playoffs. The two leagues do their best not to step on each other's toes during the Finals. Once in awhile, Game 1 of SCF will conflict with Game 7 of an NBA Conference Final and there's typically a noticeable hit in TV ratings in the US; In 2016, some Bay Area fans had to choose between watching Sharks/Penguins Game 1 or Warriors/Thunder Game 7. In 2011-12 the NBA had a lockout and their season was a week+ behind schedule. This meant that that five games of the Stanley Cup had to go up against the NBA Conference Final.

I get that it's hard for hockey fanatics to accept that the average American TV viewer would rather watch the NBA than the NHL. Mix in that the NHL/NBA now both share ESPN/ABC/TNT as the broadcast partners. I can only imagine that they'd want to showcase the Stanley Cup Final on its own.

TL;DR - There would be financial ramifications.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think it’s more because of the late start to the season. Mid October is too late for the start of the season. They should move it up to mid/late September.
It’s been said before lots of US based teams don’t want an earlier start, and some request more road games earlier to avoid that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Starting the NHL playoffs earlier would cause a big overlap between the Stanley Cup Finals with the NBA playoffs. The two leagues do their best not to step on each other's toes during the Finals. Once in awhile, Game 1 of SCF will conflict with Game 7 of an NBA Conference Final and there's typically a noticeable hit in TV ratings in the US; In 2016, some Bay Area fans had to choose between watching Sharks/Penguins Game 1 or Warriors/Thunder Game 7. In 2011-12 the NBA had a lockout and their season was a week+ behind schedule. This meant that that five games of the Stanley Cup had to go up against the NBA Conference Final.

I get that it's hard for hockey fanatics to accept that the average American TV viewer would rather watch the NBA than the NHL. Mix in that the NHL/NBA now both share ESPN/ABC/TNT as the broadcast partners. I can only imagine that they'd want to showcase the Stanley Cup Final on its own.

TL;DR - There would be financial ramifications.
Starting earlier, lessens the overlap.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No.

If it starts earlier they'll line up against the entire NFL season. The league doesn't need to get it's teeth kicked in by the NFL on scheduling for 5 months

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would like to see it go back to 70-72 game seasons. Just need players agree to a 10% cut for less games played.

Reactions: Chainshot

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
4 divisions. 32 teams.

Inter division: 7*4 = 28 games
Intra division: 24*2 = 48 games
Total = 76 games

The average is 3 games a week. That's two weeks off the season and has us starting the playoffs this week and not starting the season in September. It's balanced. No instances of playing a team 3 teams. Every team plays an even number of home and away games against every other team.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I feel like all sports seasons are too long. Baseball is the worst offender. The began the season in March. Are you kidding? Some of us are still getting snow. On top of that, do we really need to see teams that are 30 games behind in July play for 2+ more months? Baseball season should be May 1st-August 25th or so, playoffs over September. Chop the regular season down to 100-120 games.

But yeah, same deal with hockey. End the regular season by March 20th. Cup awarded in mid-May instead of early June

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yes. The season is too long.

Though there is something to be said for how ingrained it feels like it's become, to be watching playoff hockey in the spring while the sun is out and shining, patios and decks are primed and ready, etc. It doesn't really make any sense and the season is just too much of a drag anyway, but i don't actually hate that it lines up with nicer weather.

Evergreen

It’s been said before lots of US based teams don’t want an earlier start, and some request more road games earlier to avoid that.
I’ve heard that too. I know some markets want to minimize their overlap with the NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00