Do the Oilers have it too easy with the Local Media?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This was posted in a different thread but this thread is a more appropriate place for it.

For some brutal honesty you would never hear from any local media check out the first 3 round table sessions (Bill Waters) staring from the top of the page.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+waters+on+dallas+eakins

Language warning.

It's easy to do what Bill Watters does all the way from Toronto on an obscure hockey talk show.

There's a mighty big difference between being critical on a talk show and being critical to someones face. It seems the latter is what people want more of.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
for how bad moral can be in the locker room, I would have no issues if the media exposure was sheltered. these guys are hockey players, not politicians. i'm not going to pretend to know better than management either. we have a group of guys trying to accomplish the same thing as 29 other groups of guys in management roles. they more they lose games now, the more games they win later. we just don't like how long its taken. its going to happen.

Except the players don't get the preferential treatment, only management. Sometimes (ie Yakupov) it seems like they've been given the green light to grill the players.

Seems like the networks arent really giving us a pass as much as they treat us as irrelevant. I have heard some really good rants when they get on the subject (Tim and Sid, TSN panel) but most pf the time they just don't bother because it's a given that we're a poorly run franchise that kills talent and won't threaten anybody in the standings.

LCLM

Jun 3, 2014
It's easy to do what Bill Watters does all the way from Toronto on an obscure hockey talk show.

There's a mighty big difference between being critical on a talk show and being critical to someones face. It seems the latter is what people want more of.

It's pretty much reached the point where fans want the media to be as spitting mad in press conferences as they are sitting at home watching this team. Or as blustery as Bill Watters on Perry Lefko's internet show.

It seems unrealistic to expect that in Edmonton. People who cover the Oilers seem more concerned about protecting their job/relationships/friendships than asking hard questions. In some respects I can understand why. We've seen what the Oilers do to reporters and bloggers they get upset with.

But it's unfortunate that the Oilers' top brass get away with intimidating the local press like this. They need to get humbled. Badly.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I have no issue with what Kessel said, and if the media was as crazy here as there, I'd hope to see at least one Oiler standing up for himself.

Fans and media need to know that if they're going to dish it out, they must be able to take it too.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It doesn't help that the owner of this club is so afraid to face the media or public regarding his hockey club. The only time we hear anything from Katz about this team is when he is 'interviewed' by Stauffer.. which is equivalent to Katz asking himself easy questions.

I would love it if at one of these EAD press conferences that Katz attends for a reporter to grill him about the Oilers and the frustration level of the fans.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I would love it if at one of these EAD press conferences that Katz attends for a reporter to grill him about the Oilers and the frustration level of the fans.
I can't imagine anyone in the assembled press corp doing the 60 Minutes level of grilling needed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We get this thread every so often. I know we have several media guys who stop by and post stuff(well they used in the good old days) and I remember that one time one posted something along the line-"it is not the media's job to cause the lynch mob to form. Due to success of the 80's Edmonton has a frail ego and the fans can become overly aggressive in the approach to criticism." something along those lines.

Media who challenge the oilers too much will lose their access to the team--unless the team wants to be challenged on something. This goes back to the Sather days of using Jones and Matty to send messages to a player.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I was half-listening to TSN 1260's vastly underrated Dave Jamieson Show in the car a few days ago when a nasal-voiced caller caught my attention by absolutely lighting up MacT for his most recent ridiculous presser. It had been a few years but I thought the caller sounded like Daily Doug (a hyper-critical regular from Bob Stauffer's heyday on 1260). Then I heard Stauffer respond by not really responding and realized that CHED's signal was bleeding through on 1260 as it sometimes does.

My belief has always been that even though Stauffer was hired by Daryl Katz on merit, the move was also made to silence the Oilers' most outspoken and influential media critic. The texts that Bob read in response to Doug's remarks (again with little comment about them on Stauffer's part) made it obvious that he calls Bob's current show a lot. Given that Stauffer understandably has no desire to lose what has to be his dream job, this is the current reality of how he now airs criticism levelled at the Oilers. Let the fans (within limits), bloggers and noisy outliers from the non-rightsholding broadcasters hammer on the Oilers.

Last edited:

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Spector is a phudu, but as a journalist he should be entitled towards his opinions, irrespective of how asinine they are. Katz apparently didn't like what he said, and 'suspended' him for a game

http://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/Thread-Spector-Removed-From-Broadcast

From Jason Gregor:

"Here is what happened to Mark Spector. The Oilers own some of the proprietorial rights within their broadcasts on Sportsnet, and that means they have some say over what is said during the actual game. Not in the pregame or postgame, but only during the actual game itself. Owner Daryl Katz and others in the organization didn't like something Spector said recently on a broadcast so he was not on the December 23rd broadcast. His press pass was not revoked, because the Oilers don't have that power, but since they own part of broadcast they have say in who works those games.

Personally, I don't think it makes the Oilers look very good, especially considering the team has lost 20 of their last 21 games. I don't recall Spector saying anything disparaging. But for accuracy sake, Spector was able to be in the building, and still is able to cover practices and games for Sportsnet, but he wasn't on the broadcast. That is a massive difference from having a press pass revoked. I frequently read in comment sections that people actually believe a team can take away your press pass if they disagree with what you say or write. That is not the case. It has never happened in a Canadian market and Botta was a rare situation where people felt his previous job led to some strained relations."

Then you have Dustin Neilson admit on air that the Oilers approached him and told him to be more positive.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Spector is a phudu, but as a journalist he should be entitled towards his opinions, irrespective of how asinine they are. Katz apparently didn't like what he said, and 'suspended' him for a game

http://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/Thread-Spector-Removed-From-Broadcast

From Jason Gregor:

"Here is what happened to Mark Spector. The Oilers own some of the proprietorial rights within their broadcasts on Sportsnet, and that means they have some say over what is said during the actual game. Not in the pregame or postgame, but only during the actual game itself. Owner Daryl Katz and others in the organization didn't like something Spector said recently on a broadcast so he was not on the December 23rd broadcast. His press pass was not revoked, because the Oilers don't have that power, but since they own part of broadcast they have say in who works those games.

Personally, I don't think it makes the Oilers look very good, especially considering the team has lost 20 of their last 21 games. I don't recall Spector saying anything disparaging. But for accuracy sake, Spector was able to be in the building, and still is able to cover practices and games for Sportsnet, but he wasn't on the broadcast. That is a massive difference from having a press pass revoked. I frequently read in comment sections that people actually believe a team can take away your press pass if they disagree with what you say or write. That is not the case. It has never happened in a Canadian market and Botta was a rare situation where people felt his previous job led to some strained relations."

Then you have Dustin Neilson admit on air that the Oilers approached him and told him to be more positive.
Thanks for that. Never really knew what that was all about.
Funny how the Oilers way of dealing with criticism is everything but actually doing their jobs properly.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That "impatient city" comment was unreal. If the Oilers were just about any other team they would be bankrupt and on the move right about now.

Unbelievably passionate, patient and loyal hockey fans in this city :handclap: Its a cruel fate we've been saddled with this management. We deserve so much better.

Yeah, the impatient fan thing is an outright insulting narrative from the Oilers/Media. What makes it even more galling, is that Dallas Eakins was the first one to really push that idiotic line of thinking in his patronizing exit interview.

It's actually fairly amusing though. Mactavish entered the scene stating he was the impatient one, and now that he's falling flat on his face and has done an about face, we the fans are apparently now the impatient ones.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah, the impatient fan thing is an outright insulting narrative from the Oilers/Media. What makes it even more galling, is that Dallas Eakins was the first one to really push that idiotic line of thinking in his patronizing exit interview.

It's actually fairly amusing though. Mactavish entered the scene stating he was the impatient one, and now that he's falling flat on his face and has done an about face, we the fans are apparently now the impatient ones.

Lowe/Katz assumed progress would occur and brought in MacT to reap the rewards and to be seen as geniuses. MacT hired Eakins because he assumed progress would occur and wanted to be seen as a genius. All involved are...SPOILER ALERT...not geniuses.

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Lowe/Katz assumed progress would occur and brought in MacT to reap the rewards and to be seen as geniuses. MacT hired Eakins because he assumed progress would occur and wanted to be seen as a genius. All involved are...SPOILER ALERT...not geniuses.

In all fairness what kind of GM makes any kind of move assuming it won't work? Pretty sure every one of them thinks they are doing the right thing at the time it is done no matter what the decision.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Indeed. Does that make it less relevant though?

I would suggest to you though that the local shows are virtually irrelevant in terms of any pointed questioning and criticism of this current management and ownership regime.

Of course...that goes without saying. Always easier to be critical when you dont have to worry about press passes and maintaining a relationship with the team.
Thats why I find it refreshing to hear some honesty for a change instead of the usual recycled nonsense we hear locally.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
All the writers grew up in this town. They are fans first, with the best jobs in their hometown in there field. None of them are great writers or reporters.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The problem with media is that they don't ask real questions. MacTavish has roughly 3 press conferences (Preseason, Trade Deadline, End of Season) a year and all the media does is ask softball questions. All we get is ...

Hey is Draisaitl going to junior? Yakupov isn't progress, why is that? Nelson is doing pretty good eh? Is the owner upset that the team is losing?

I guess even soulless media robots need a paycheque.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Agreed. These arrogant ****** thought that progress was inevitable with so many high picks so they'd just ride it out to glory. Well, looks like you need competent management too. As a result the Oilers have had an unprecedented amount of failure. These ****ing pieces of **** are holding the fan base hostage. Give us someone who knows what they're doing.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Every year since 2007 has been year 1 of the rebuild. This summer is again... year 1. Next year will be year 1 of that rebuild and so on and so on.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty sad about Spector? He was railing hard on Oilers management. Then he got his hand slapped and he's back to pushing whatever narrative the Oilers org wants him putting out there, like Petry's wife must have wanted him to leave Edmonton. He's just a stooge again and the management group he was bashing hasn't improved one bit.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
It doesn't help that the owner of this club is so afraid to face the media or public regarding his hockey club. The only time we hear anything from Katz about this team is when he is 'interviewed' by Stauffer.. which is equivalent to Katz asking himself easy questions.

I'm not sure what being ignorant would prove. Example "conferences that Katz attends for a reporter to grill him about the Oilers and the frustration level of the fans." Does the reporter know anything about owning a NHL club? Being a NHL GM? If Craig Button, Doug MacLean, or Mike Milbury knew better than MacTavish, they would have his job. Katz paid for a club that has almost moved in the past, and has gone even further by investing in the city. What does he need to prove or explain to any fan. If you don't like it, cheer for another team. When this thing turns around, don't come back. Media could learn from our guys like Gene Principe, who reports the positives, and doesn't pretend to know how to fix the negatives. And i'm going to go on a limb when I say Gene Principe knows the inner workings better than anyone on here.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I'm not sure what being ignorant would prove. Example "conferences that Katz attends for a reporter to grill him about the Oilers and the frustration level of the fans." Does the reporter know anything about owning a NHL club? Being a NHL GM? If Craig Button, Doug MacLean, or Mike Milbury knew better than MacTavish, they would have his job. Katz paid for a club that has almost moved in the past, and has gone even further by investing in the city. What does he need to prove or explain to any fan. If you don't like it, cheer for another team. When this thing turns around, don't come back. Media could learn from our guys like Gene Principe, who reports the positives, and doesn't pretend to know how to fix the negatives. And i'm going to go on a limb when I say Gene Principe knows the inner workings better than anyone on here.

A reporter probably knows very little about owning a club or being a GM but he/she should know a lot about being a journalist. Don't you agree? And in that job you should do research and based on that research ask questions about whatever subject your supposed to report on. Journalism today has become more about presenting your own ideas and less about reporting and asking questions but the latter is what the job is actually about. Not acting like a know it all and not being a cheerleader.

Katz has done a lot of good things as far as investing in the team and putting a longterm financial plan in place but his hockey hirings are what is and should be questioned.

The "what does he/she know about this and that to be asking question" is such a high horses kind of a attitude. If things aren't working you have every reason to ask why the hell not and question the strategies behind it.
You have to question an owner who puts a guy in charge of hockey operations who fails to deliver results year in year out. You have to question a president who hires his buddy as GM without interviewing other candidates if the results are bad. You have to question a GM who hires a disaster of a head coach and fails to add the right players when the results are continously bad.
Yes we don't have any inside knowledge but we do know the results are bad to terrible and we do know that there are decisions made that looks really odd from an outside perspective. The reporters job is to get info on the thought process behind those decisions and to question the men making the calls.
There are ofcourse things that MacT et al can't tell us for different reasons but the questions still need to be asked. I actually think MacT has gotten better at making himself available for questioning as the season has passed, I don't understand his thinking all the time but I applaude him for at least trying to explain the thinking that went into his decisions and I actually agree on some of it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

This is one of the most idiotic posts of all time on these forums that says a lot.

1) Being a NHL GM? If Craig Button, Doug MacLean, or Mike Milbury knew better than MacTavish, they would have his job. just a head shaking, mind numbingly foolish comment.

2) Katz paid for a club that has almost moved in the past, and has gone even further by investing in the city.

He has invested Jack squat compared to the over the top sweet heart deal the city has invested in by essentially building a rink and then handing it over to Katz.

3) What does he need to prove or explain to any fan. If you don't like it, cheer for another team. This is classic, you are expected to unquestioningly support a for for profit sports team no matter what. If the Edmonton fans died what you suggest and lord knows i wish they did the failings of the team would be blamed on the fans for not supporting their team.

Just a real Oileresque type of post, arrogant, entitled, avoiding all fault, maintaining the people in charge are the best and the brightest. If you don't already work for the Oilers you should, you would fit in perfectly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad