Do the Oilers employ a sports psychologist?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If they do he should be fired. If not maybe hiring one could help though the coach should be a sort of effective psychologist.

Everyone including the players know what ha to be done, but most do not put in the effort or smarts to win. They have talent but don't work as hard as other teams so maybe it's all in the mind and (fat contract)?

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I seem to recall that back in the early dark ages (like 2008) they brought in some acclaimed sports psychologist. So yeah.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I seem to recall that back in the early dark ages (like 2008) they brought in some acclaimed sports psychologist. So yeah.

I seem to recall that as well. If memory serves, it was a female. Fairly attractive. Had this secret technique that could really clear a players mind before a game.:naughty:

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
We began employing her sometime after we drafted Hall. I want to say it was the 2011-12 season. Pretty certain I remember Tom Renney commenting on the hire, so it was definitely during his tenure

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers are a bad team because they have a bad roster. In particular they have the worst d-core in the league. That's why this team is bad. They don't have enough defensemen who can make quick decisions with the puck and get it to forwards and out of the zone quickly.

This team has two top 4 d-men, neither of them are top pairing guys and one of them is currently injured.

Schultz, Gryba, Davidson, Fayne, Nikitin, Hunt, Reinhart.... these are right now all fringe NHLers. At best bottom pairing d-men who need to be sheltered to be able to succeed in the NHL, and even than many of them can't succeed in that role.

Even Darnell Nurse right now shouldn't be playing anything above a bottom pairing role, but is forced into it because the Oilers continue to employ the worst collective group of d-men in the league.

The psychological make up of the team has absolutely nothing to do with it. The team will continue to be a bottom feeder until the defense is fixed with real, legitimate NHL quality defensemen.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
This team's problems extend far beyond that which can be dealt with by Psychologist. They need an Exorcist at this point.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
having one wouldn't help whatsoever, but they probably employ one, what with all the dead weight salaries Mr. Katz seems willing to pay, why not one more.

Does Kevin Lowe have a friend that happens to be a psychologist (of any kind)?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
they should hire the Dalai Lama...

They really should have a sports psychologist though, especially with all the broken, mentally damaged players we have had in and out over the last few years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This team needs a divine intervention. No man can change this losing culture

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
having one wouldn't help whatsoever, but they probably employ one, what with all the dead weight salaries Mr. Katz seems willing to pay, why not one more.

I'm sure we could hire one of his buddies took PSYCH 101 back in the 70s but currently works as an accountant

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
5_cent_therapy-e1372445136737.png

blog_lucy_football.jpg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

A pyschologist/psychiatrist friend? I wouldn't doubt it. Fanboys come in all walks of life.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Need a hypnotist. Convince all the players before each game that it's the last week of the season and they're 30 points out of a playoff spot. Someone might finally win that safeway score and win million bucks!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What ever happened to people just owning up to their own mistakes and not needed a hundred people to hold their hands to get through life?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I met the Oilers psychologist several years ago. She was speaking at a conference I was attending. I can't remember her name but she struck me as very professional and qualified.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What ever happened to people just owning up to their own mistakes and not needed a hundred people to hold their hands to get through life?

Exactly!

Kidding. I think every bit helps. Some players have issues holding them back from being the best they can be and are much more valuable if they have someone helping them sort them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad