Do the Leafs overcome their first round demons next year?

Do they break their curse?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Simple question. Do the Leafs finally break through and make it to the second round next season? Or does the same song play again next year?

If they do not, do you see mass changes coming such as breaking the core up?

Feel free to say whatever

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This is just a guessing game, obviously. I'll take history though, until we see otherwise.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Only 8 teams make the 2nd round every year; that’s only about a quarter of the league’s teams. If all else was equal, they’d have 25.8% odds at making the playoffs.

Now, I don’t think all else is equal, because I think they’re an above average team, but I don’t think they’re far enough above average to bring the probability of winning a round over 50%. So, I’ll go with the odds and say no, but anything can happen and it wouldn’t shock me if they did.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The last time they passed the first round I was 3 years old, I'm now almost finished university

Please for the love of God do it next season
The last time the Leafs won a 1st round series, I was finishing up my 1st year of university.

Reactions: leafsfan5

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I am going to come out and say that the Leafs will make the 3rd round next season.

They are talented. And the likely Canadian Division is going to help them get to this point.

If a Canadian Division follows the same playoff format as the current divisional structure does, then I don't see any Canadian team beating them in a best-of-7 playoff series.

They will run into Tampa Bay in the 3rd round, and that is where things will get difficult.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Impossible to guess without knowing who they play. If they play TB or Boston, it will be another tough go but can still beat them.

I believe once they get past 1 round, they will get past the 2nd one as well.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
To much talent to not eventually break through. I say they at least play in the 2nd round next year

Reactions: BHD

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Gonna say yes, law of averages. I think they're too good to be a wise bet to miss the playoffs, and at that point each series becomes something in the realm of a coin flip for odds so unless curses actually exist it has to happen at some point

Reactions: wetcoast and BHD

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Ask me again when we know who they are playing. Every series this core has played in has been razor close. Joe Thornton knows more than I do and he signed with them because he believes they are cup contenders.

Reactions: BHD

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Nope.

They're a mediocre team not built for playoff success who got a lot older this season. They picked up a sub .500. backup goalie, made lateral moves replacing Barrie and Ceci and replaced Johnsson and Kapanen with a collection of has-been's, wanna-be's, and never-been's at the same time when teams like Buffalo and Montreal actually improved their rosters.

I expect the usual. A bubble team that slides into a bottom 4 playoff berth who gets exposed as playoff pretender...just like in previous years.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
It all depends who they face.....I don't think they are a much improved team....however they could still make some trades to upgrade their squad....but at this point I don't think they are likely to win in the first round...

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Nope.

They're a mediocre team not built for playoff success who got a lot older this season. They picked up a sub .500. backup goalie, made lateral moves replacing Barrie and Ceci and replaced Johnsson and Kapanen with a collection of has-been's, wanna-be's, and never-been's at the same time when teams like Buffalo and Montreal actually improved their rosters.

I expect the usual. A bubble team that slides into a bottom 4 playoff berth who gets exposed as playoff pretender...just like in previous years.
You could argue that their core minus Tavares is hitting their prime. However I do agree on their lack of defence and virtually zero effort being put into having a competent d-core. I honestly do not remember the last time they had a good, solid defence.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I think they will improve over last year and actually make the playoffs, but I think they’ll get bounced in round one again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad