Do the leafs need a shutdown line?

Do the leafs need a shutdown line?

• Total voters

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Nope. They just need to acquire players that understand the importance of being able to play without the puck, and while it is hard work and not fun, it's the only way to be successful

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team as a whole needs to improve at shutting down the opposition's lines. Can't always expect to outscore the problems. I believe the team leads the league in both goals for and goals against. Mind you, the differential is barely on the good side at this point (+1?).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The team as a whole needs to improve at shutting down the opposition's lines. Can't always expect to outscore the problems. I believe the team leads the league in both goals for and goals against. Mind you, the differential is barely on the good side at this point (+1?).
and yet that is the kind of roster dubas gave babs to work with

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
i'm actually going to vote yes... if we had a shutdown line, we could get Matthews or Marner out against weaker competition more often so not really against that. Hyman-Kerfoot-Kapanen?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
if by shut down line you mean a line that plays solid D, then yes. They actually need 4 of them and a new system.

We’ll have to wait and see what system Keefe implements.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
and yet that is the kind of roster dubas gave babs to work with

Can't entirely disagree with that. Still, getting the injured players back should help things. Just a matter of how much difference that will make, and what happens until that point?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd just prefer the guys we've already got actually putting in some work, engaging there brains and giving a **** when they don't have the puck on their sticks

To each their own I guess

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
They definitely need at least a couple guys on the team to take pride in playing defense and prioritize it over offense.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I would go Berg, Zezel, Osborne

Yes, thats exactly who came to mind. Zezel wins the draw and the puck is in the opposing end. None of them will score, but neither will the opponent.

I know I was young then so easily impressed, but everytime Zezel took the draw it seemed like he won it.

We havent had defence since Pat Burns. Even those somewhat celebrated Sundin teams were just counting on a hot goalie to bail them out game in game out.

Us with defence is like Philly with goalies. Just won't address it. Don't know why.

Reactions: moon111

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
we dont need a shutdown line ... we need our guys to actually grind and work for it .
id rather watch our top guy work then watch a shutdown line that sucks the life out of the game like in the 90s

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
we dont need a shutdown line ... we need our guys to actually grind and work for it .
id rather watch our top guy work then watch a shutdown line that sucks the life out of the game like in the 90s
Always hated shut down lines.
You guys suck at defending and you guys suck at scoring.

The players you commit to should be able to do both or don't commit.
Obviously some players are better offensively but they shouldn't be 1 trick ponies.

There is no excuse to not play fast, in your face hockey. Attention to detail, ensuring support down low and board battle/protect the puck.

I don't want a defensive line devoid of skill/offense any more than I want offense devoid of defense/drive.

Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shutdown lines no longer exist in the new NHL.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
While I liked the Barrie trade, I did think that losing Kadri would be a very difficult hole to fill.

With Tavares out, we are really beginning to see that - Matthews isn't ready for top line matchups just yet, and after him there isn't really anyone you can reliably throw out against other team's top lines.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Voted no. Babcock chases matchups too much already. Would just give him reason to do more of it. Also would lead to more complaining by fans that the Matthews and Tavares line weren't getting enough ice time.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
We already have 2 shut down lines.

The 4th line is doing a great job in our own end and relieving other lines of some D zone time and faceoffs. The key is having two good drawman for either side (so far its Goat and Shore) plus one of Timo or Moore when Hyman is back.

The Hyman JT Marner line has done decent to great as a shut down line. Ok they were great for 5 games last playoffs against the Bruins last year.

Hyman JT Marner - 1 st line, play against other teams top lines (other than some Dzone draws)

AJ Matty Willy -second line - there job is to score and dominate 2nd tier competition.

Soupy Kerfoot Kappy / Moore - great 2 way 3rd line, fast and hopefully relentless

and of course the 4th with Goat / Shore / Timo / Moore / Spezza with 2 good drawman on the ice.

Dubas should be busy looking for a trade for goalie and D depth so I'm not sure the pieces will look the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad