Speculation: Do the Habs have the toughest defense in the league?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Disagree about habs not having guys that move the puck.

Only Pateryn who is likely a 8th dmen can't move the puck.

Weber and Emelin are far more elite but can move a decent first pass. Specially Emelin, who IMO gets understand for his first pass.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs defence is definitely among the toughest and most physical in the league. It'll be interesting to see how this model works. Total switch from four/five years ago when we had Kaberle, Diaz, Yannick Weber, Gorges, Markov and Subban. Aside from Emelin, the Habs had the softest defence in the league. For all the puck-moving skill those guys had, they couldn't win a puck battle to save their lives and ended up stuck in our zone forever. You can't move the puck if you can't recover it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't quite see it for the Canucks and the Islanders (for the D). Even Ottawa is a bit far-fetched. I mean... Unless they have new pieces I'm not aware of, they'd have to dress Borowiecki for it to remotely makes sense.

The Canucks have one of the softest bluelines in the leauge.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
With the recent trend favoring analytics and defensemen who can quickly and efficiently move the puck, the Habs have gone in a different direction with the likes of Emelin, Weber and Pateryn being in the team's defensive squad.

My questions are:

a) Are they the toughest D in the league?

b) If it's the case, is that a good thing or a bad thing with the way the NHL is trending?

I don't know if they're the toughest but it's not a bad thing. That I know. Especially since you have PMDs of some quality in Beaulieu, Petry, Barberio and yes Markov.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Not the toughest but also depends on definition of tough.

Hits is a part of it but prefer players who are nasty in front of their net and and along the boards. Weber definitely helps there however i dont find any of the other defenseman particularly menacing in this regard.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I thought the new nhl was about puck moving and keeping the time in the defensive zone really low. I think the habs have a balanced defense. On paper at least.
I dont need them to be tough. I just want them to be effective.

A crappy example here but instead of punching players after they hit price maybe if they could find a way to steer the net crashes away from price early on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They're tougher to play against for sure. I can't say "toughest" without looking at all the other groups. Price will definitely have bigger guys looking out for him back there if someone tries running him.

That's one area that had been severely lacking -- we've seen way too many liberties taken on Price.

Habs Man

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal
To give an idea of the numbers:

Weber: 169 hits
Emelin: 256 hits
Pateryn: 100 hits in 38 GP

Even guys like Petry (86 hits), Beaulieu (59) and Markov (56) are not soft by any means.

Exactly... Weber is huge here though... I believe that having a guy like him around makes everyone a few inches taller and that much tougher.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Yeah, but at least all of our top-six defensemen have a regular spot in the NHL and are actually NHL-calibre talents. McQuaid and Miller are barely NHLers.

That's literally impossible with a healthy Price.

There will never be a 100% healthy Price anymore ever again.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They have Gudbransson, Sbisa, Tryamkin plus Edler who's not soft by any means.

Oh please, Gudbransson is the only one who hits. Edler is terrible, and the rest are not hard to play against at all.

Source : Father is a season ticket holder.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Oh please, Gudbransson is the only one who hits. Edler is terrible, and the rest are not hard to play against at all.

Source : Father is a season ticket holder.

Cool, your father has his own opinion. Tryamkin is some 6 foot 7 defenseman and had 31 hits in 13 GP. Sbisa had 151 hits last season, he's not soft by any means. If he was then he'd be utterly useless.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
They're tougher to play against for sure. I can't say "toughest" without looking at all the other groups. Price will definitely have bigger guys looking out for him back there if someone tries running him.

Gone are the days of Diaz, Weber (Swiss one of course), Campoli, Kaberle, Gorges, Spacek.....all players who were weak in the corners and intimidated NO ONE!!!!!!

Hello Weber (the Canadian one :)), Emelin, Pateryn.......hello 6'3 Sergachev, 6'2 Beaulieu. This to me is the biggest I've ever seen the habs defence be, it's comforting and refreshing!! A nice combination of passers, hitters, intimidaters, speedsters, PP QB's, scorers

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Exactly... Weber is huge here though... I believe that having a guy like him around makes everyone a few inches taller and that much tougher.

Exactly, we all knew that kid in school who thought he was tougher than he really was because he had that big mean older brother backing him up. Well Weber is that Big Mean older brother, and the whole team could feel like that kid lol.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Exactly, we all knew that kid in school who thought he was tougher than he really was because he had that big mean older brother backing him up. Well Weber is that Big Mean older brother, and the whole team could feel like that kid lol.

That would have been a very welcome addition 5 years ago when we were getting the living snot beaten out of us by the Big Bad Bruins... The league changed significantly since then.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's one area that had been severely lacking -- we've seen way too many liberties taken on Price.

Remember the days where Price would get run over, or Zednik would get an elbow across the chin....teammates would skate away with their heads down or give a tongue lashing to the culprit, it was embarrassing as a Hab fan.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
So pumped to see a full year of Price/Weber backing this team to an incredible year defensively................A major injury can change all that....so we have all seen.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
That would have been a very welcome addition 5 years ago when we were getting the living snot beaten out of us by the Big Bad Bruins... The league changed significantly since then.

and so have the big bad bruins...........we will run them over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad