Do the Flyers make the playoffs?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Free agent bonanza is almost over. Now that the dust has settled, do you think the Flyers make the playoffs?

After the top 4 teams, I think the tiers are insanely fluid.

Does Columbus make a huge jump in the standing with Jones and Werenski in the lineup for the whole season? Does Boston make huge strides with a healthy team and the addition of Backes or does the D suck so bad that it kills them. Does Toronto become playoff contenders with the addition of Mattthews, Nylander etc... Do the Devils improve with the addition of Hall or their defense so bad that they are worse? Do the Islanders improve with Ladd or suffer with the loss of both Okposo and Nielsen. Does Detroit finally not make the playoffs after losing Daytsuk.

1. Washington
2. Tampa
3. Pitt
4. Florida
----------
5. Rangers
6. Islanders
7. Flyers
8. Boston
-----
9. Detroit
10. Montreal
11. Ottawa
12. Carolina
-----
13. NJ
14. Buffalo
15. Toronto
16. Columbus

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
That's awfully close to what it was last year. There will be more changes imo.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Atlantic is going to be pretty bad. They might only have three teams in again. It's the Lightning & Panthers then everybody else. I think the Wings & Sabres will fight it out for the third spot in the division.

The Metro will be a dog fight again. I think the Rangers miss out this year. The Caps & Pens will likely finish at the top of the division in some order. The Isles, Flyers, & Canes might fill out the rest of the playoff picture.

Atlantic:
1 - Lightning
2 - Panthers
3 - Sabres

Metro:
1 - Pens
2 - Caps
3 - Flyers

Wild Card:
1 - Isles
2 - Canes

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I could see the Rangers freefall and Buffalo climb into the playoffs. Toronto will be more competitive, but I have no idea how results will go for them. The Islanders vaunted bottom four is broken up, and that could cause them a lot of problems. Price should be back, which will help the Habs immeasurably, as will Shaw to a lesser degree. Boston could struggle, but I wouldn't put money on it.

In other words, I have no idea :laugh: I voted "Very Likely" to make the playoffs, but I have my expectations very much in check. I'm happy to give us another year to develop and wait.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I think it's a better chance from the outset, but the crucial factor will likely be the quality of the goaltending, namely Neuvirth.

I'll go with 50% odds.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Toronto will get more talent on their roster but that talent will be green at the NHL level so I still feel confident in saying they'll miss the playoffs. Matthews, Marner, & Nylander very could have good rookies years & contend for the Calder but that's a lot of pressure on those guys to get the Leafs into the playoffs even in a weak Atlantic division. I think they still lack talent as far experienced players go which will there downfall IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I vote definitely.

We will finish ahead of the Rangers and Islanders this season too.

The Isles losing Okposo and Nielsen and only bringing in Ladd is a major downgrade for them.

The Rags also got worse.

I have us finishing 3rd in the Metro behind Washington and Pittsburgh.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I say very likely. We made the playoffs when weren't supposed to last year and lost in the first round. This year we make the playoffs and we are in good position all year. Question for me is do we win the first round?

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If Voracek gets his head out of his a** and G is healthy for 70+ games then we will be in if not seeded fairly high. If both of those things do not happen then we will be boarder line playoff team...again

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I vote maybe. Ghost could hit a sophomore slump. There's a very good chance povorov and even more likely konecny doesn't make the team. I think it's possible we could even be a better team than last year and not make the playoffs.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I think this year will be similar to last year as far as performance. The difference will be expectations being higher since they made the playoffs last season. I predict them being on the bubble again unfortunately.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers should be a 100 point team.
That's pretty much a playoff lock.
Only a goalie collapse will keep them out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, too hard to gauge. I don't know what the line up is going to be. Is Streit or MacDonald playing on this team? Is Provorov? Is Konecny? Is Read? Where is Weise playing?

I'll go with Maybe

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Honestly, very likely.

Hakstol with 1 year of experience on NHL level.
Provorov or Konecny arrival.
Upgraded bottom 6, no Umberger, Gagner, Lecavalier and hopefully no VandeVelde.
Voracek probably can't be any worse than last season, so I expect him to be much better and bounce back.
Gostisbehere more matured and experienced (although could hit the 'sophomore slump').
Hopefully full year for Couturier, Del Zotto or Streit (but injuries are pointless to speculate, as injuries always occur over the 82 games-span).

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
We are a fringe team like last year. Too early to say for sure. That 6-12 region is so sensitive. It took a rookie to spark our team to a playoff run. This year an injury could cost. We aren't a lock by any stretch but who's to say a rookie doesn't steal the show and make it happen. On paper the team is better than last year but time will tell. I'm voting very likely because I like this group I like the coach and I like management. They all seem to be on a similar wave length. I also feel or FA moves help the top 6 focus on more offensive roles so that should be a factor too. I'm optimistic but won't jump off a bridge if they miss out. I'll be stunned if they are picking top 5 this year. Don't think they're that far off.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think they're still in that group that can finish anywhere from 6-12.

Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Montreal (with a healthy Price) and Florida probably finish ahead of the Flyers.

The Isles, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers are probably in the next group right now, but teams like Carolina, Buffalo and New Jersey could surprise and knock one of the others down a peg or two.

I'm expecting Columbus, Toronto and Ottawa to be the bottom three this year (at this moment, as there is still a lot of time between now and October to adjust rosters).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad