Do the Flyers make the Playoffs in 2017-18?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The point still stands that we are adding very talented rookies to a group of very solid veterans.

That's not what I am talking about. The other post was that Matthews, Marner, & Nylander were really only the productive players on the team last year which isn't true. Kadri & JVR were right there with those guys which is just as important when you have 5 guys over 60 points.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's not what I am talking about. The other post was that Matthews, Marner, & Nylander were really only the productive players on the team last year which isn't true. Kadri & JVR were right there with those guys which is just as important when you have 5 guys over 60 points.

No argument from me there.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Yes, Toronto team from last season was definitely not only their rookies, that's not exactly what I wanted to say, bad expression on my part.

I guess it is better to say that veterans on the Flyers are better than veterans on Toronto... Toronto rookies (Matthews/Nylander/Marner) from last season are better than Flyers rookies (Patrick/Lindblom/Konecny - TK included just to make it 3v3) . Meaning that it could somewhat balance it out.

Obviously, it depends on whether Giroux and Voracek will play into their expectations.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
The forward depth is significantly better than last year, defense is better, and the goaltending can't possibly be worse. 60-80% only because the division is so good

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, Toronto team from last season was definitely not only their rookies, that's not exactly what I wanted to say, bad expression on my part.

I guess it is better to say that veterans on the Flyers are better than veterans on Toronto... Toronto rookies (Matthews/Nylander/Marner) from last season are better than Flyers rookies (Patrick/Lindblom/Kionecny - TK included just to make it 3v3) . Meaning that it could somewhat balance it out.

Obviously, it depends on whether Giroux and Voracek will play into their expectations.

We'll ultimately see. Even with all that they just got in & did play in the weaker division of the two. So the Flyers are likely gonna have to be even better than that next year to do what Toronto did this past year.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm in the 41-60% line of thinking. I think the Flyers, as of right now, are likely to be fighting for one of the two wildcard teams. I think the additions of Patrick, Lindblom, two of Morin/Sanheim/Hagg, a full season of Filppula, and increased usage of Konecny make them significantly better. Assuming they get mediocre goaltender, they should be in the mix.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Right now I'd only be willing to bet that NJ and Buffalo have no shot at a spot. Possibly Florida too.

THe other bad teams in our division improved, while the better ones stagnated or got only slightly weaker.

I say we have some 40% chance of making it.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
21-40% I still don't think hak is a good coach and will cost this team points once again. talent wise they will be better but haks system and decision making absolutely blows. if they flush him after a slow start then maybe they get in but if he's here another whole year I don't think playoffs are likely at all.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Right now I'd only be willing to bet that NJ and Buffalo have no shot at a spot. Possibly Florida too.

THe other bad teams in our division improved, while the better ones stagnated or got only slightly weaker.

I say we have some 40% chance of making it.

i would throw detroit in there as well. Florida is similar to carolina to me tbh. They have gotten some good wingers in dadonov, huberdou, vrbata. if they can get two more they are fine offensively and defensively they are ok. goalie is ok as well. their issue is injuries.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
With defense, goaltending and coaching all still up in the air, I don't give them more than 0.5 chance of making it. Alot has to come their way in terms of team development.

cymbalizm

Feb 7, 2017
SP, NJ
No reason this group shouldn't easily make the playoffs. The defensive upgrade will be massive. Goalies will do fine. A fourth line that can even attempt, let alone be pretty able to score will be nice. Top 9 should be very tight. Expect Giroux and Voracek to bounce back strong with much more support

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
No reason this group shouldn't easily make the playoffs. The defensive upgrade will be massive. Goalies will do fine. A fourth line that can even attempt, let alone be pretty able to score will be nice. Top 9 should be very tight. Expect Giroux and Voracek to bounce back strong with much more support

This is how I see it too.
-Better C depth this year
-much better bottom 6
-defense addition by subtraction
-G back to health
-goalies impossible to play worse (for realz)
-Konecny takes the expected next step
-Lindblom finds a suitable role

cymbalizm

Feb 7, 2017
SP, NJ
-G back to health
-Konecny takes the expected next step
-Lindblom finds a suitable role

Yeah can't say I really liked the timing of the Schenn deal as much as I understood it had to be done, but these points and Patrick should way more than make up for the loss

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
If not it better be the last year they miss.

Summer 2018 could be ugly for the core players.

At some point these guys need to take the next step and become regular visitors to the play-offs.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
If Elliott reverts to his St. Louis form, we have a great chance. The D will be better, and several guys on O should have bounce back years(we hope). I think it all hinges on goaltending. We were put in a hole early last season because of inconsistent play in net. Elliott(and Neuvy I guess)starting out strong would be a huge boost of confidence for the team.

I don't know, I just get the feeling Mason wasn't the most popular guy in the locker room. I don't have any inside information....just an observation from a guy that doesn't know anything.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I already forgot we traded Schenn.

I really think more ES time for Koneckny, addition of Lindblom, and division of his PP time between these 2 more than makes up for Schenns goals, AND improves the defense. Not to mention subtracting his center play in favor of Patrick and Filpula.

So I suspect we will all forget him soon enough.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Had this conversation with a friend.
G steadily declining since 14-15. remove schenn and its worse. lehtera<schenn.
Patrick/Lindblom/hagg/morin/sanheim all unproven and all rookies.
Elliott+Neuvy is a bottom feeding goalie tandem.(on paper, who knows what can happen of course)
Patrick is having his 2nd groin surgery in the last 12 months? i dont see him being a healthy player in the NHL.
Konecny needs to claw himself out of Haks doghouse also.
Special teams were very average last year. PK especially.
I dunno...I know you cant predict what will happen but theres a lot of negatives that outweigh the positives this year for the flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad