Do the Flames take a flyer on Steve Moses

DuncanKinney

Nov 27, 2008
Edmonton
He came across my feed via this story Steve Moses breaks KHL single-season scoring record, drawing NHL interest

I know the Roman Cervenka experiment didn't work out but I'm not super high on David Jones or our right wing depth after Jiri Hudler in general. Moses is only 26 and he seems like he could be a player. It's only money and a roster spot for the Flames. At worst you lose him to another team through waivers or he fills out your AHL squad.

What do you think? What would you offer him?

Aug 3, 2010
Unless he'd bring down a plague of losses for opposing teams, I don't think so. I have a feeling he'd just divide the locker room in half. I'm not looking forward to 40 seasons without winning a Stanley Cup.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Nah, personally I don't really rate the KHL highly. It might be impressive if a 18-20 year-old produces at a good PPG pace in the KHL but for a player who is arguably well into his prime years as a forward, I don't see his ceiling being elevated in the near future.

But that's only talking about his potential. His abilities are good enough to earn one of 360 forward spots in the league, in my opinion. But again, he's looking for a one-way deal and is looking for a team that'll play him as a Top 6, which I think will be tough for him to maintain. Foolish for me to say with just my highlight video scouting of him though.

dcookson

Aug 20, 2014
Nah, personally I don't really rate the KHL highly. It might be impressive if a 18-20 year-old produces at a good PPG pace in the KHL but for a player who is arguably well into his prime years as a forward, I don't see his ceiling being elevated in the near future.

But that's only talking about his potential. His abilities are good enough to earn one of 360 forward spots in the league, in my opinion. But again, he's looking for a one-way deal and is looking for a team that'll play him as a Top 6, which I think will be tough for him to maintain. Foolish for me to say with just my highlight video scouting of him though.

It depends on what role you think he can play. I don't think this is a guy you bring in to play in your top 6 and probably isn't big enough for the bottom 6. It's really tough to look at KHL stats to determine how a guy will do here. I look at it this way for KHL stats: Nigel Dawes is a 30 goal scorer in the KHL. How many do you think he scores here?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to invite him to next fall's training camp on a PTO, but I have a feeling Poirier and Bennett will both be in the NHL full time next season, so I don't know if there's room on the big club.

Most likely Calgary wouldn't be the only team to invite him to camp. I wouldn't bend over backwards to bring him here either. The Nigel Dawes comparison is what I thought of as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I guess it wouldn't hurt to invite him to next fall's training camp on a PTO, but I have a feeling Poirier and Bennett will both be in the NHL full time next season, so I don't know if there's room on the big club.

Most likely Calgary wouldn't be the only team to invite him to camp. I wouldn't bend over backwards to bring him here either. The Nigel Dawes comparison is what I thought of as well.

While his numbers are impressive... I don't know how another small forward can add to our team.

Clearly we're moving forward with Johnny and Hudler. Guys like Byron will probably be kept for a bottom 6 role (Hart's fav)... We also have Sven and Granny knocking on the door to get into the league. There's a bit too many sub-6 footers there; and while I know that there's little difference between 5'11'' and 6'11''... there's generally weight implications; and the West has never been for the small.

I just don't think our forward group could handle another small guy.

Aug 21, 2014
Bruins might take a flier on him. He's from Massachusetts. Played for JR Bruins and is a RH-shot. Bruins are lacking in RH-Right Wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad