Do the Coyotes have depth in goaltending?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Bona fide starting goaltenders aren't easy to come by in todays NHL. We have an upper echelon fraternity of elite goalies (Price, Quick, etc.) and the rest are either pretty good or passable. The Coyotes haven't really ever been known for strength in goaltending since the Bulin-Wall (early Smith could possibly make an argument) and even though Raanta looks like a promising asset, nothing's proven.

Mike Lee
Mark Visentin
Joel Gistedt
David LeNeveu
Scott Darling
Brendan Burke
Louis Domingue

Just a few examples of some goalies that the Coyotes had high hopes for. Only 2 are NHL regulars, and I excluded many names.

Currently we have:
Antti Raanta
Louis Domingue
Adin Hill
Merrick Madsen
Hunter Miska
Marek Langhamer
Erik Kallgren

Would you say Hill is our strongest goalie prospect in recent years or does he fall in the mix of the names above?

Are you confident in that group? Who stands out, and do you believe they have starting potential? I will admit that I do not have vast knowledge on any of these goalies, and they career trajectory is hard to predict.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
adin hill is the stand out name on that list, but there is no out and out stud or potential starter in that mix unless someone has a breakout season.
goalie's are difficult to draft and if you pick one in the first round experts always say your taking a risk....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Goalie prospects are almost impossible to predict. You can rate talent but unlike other positions, that's not gonna get a goalie anywhere.
Domingue and Hill have shown some good stuff in pro hockey so I like those two for sure. Rest are wildcards I know very little about but Langhamer didn't impress me. Overall I'm confident with what's there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We don't have a can't miss goalie prospect, but we do have a couple guys that might be able to become starters one day.

Hill has some talent, but at times he all over the place, will make a spectacular save but then let in a softy.

Madsen's numbers look remarkable for college, and he is a really, really big kid, but he went down to early in the scrimmage at the Den and the prospects got 3 top shelf goals on him.

Miska looks to be the sleeper...

Langhamer doesn't have the talent to be a starter, but he proved last year he could compete and win a game, so he could be a backup in time.

This is the best bunch we've had in years.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We don't have a proven starter which is the most important thing. I'm hopeful Raanta does well but if not we are not in good shape. If he doesn't, we don't have a 1B. And with our prospects I'm hopeful Hill will do well but goalie prospects are impossible to predict. A few years ago we looked really good. We had Smith coming off an amazing season, and had both of Canada's WJ goalies in Visentin (a 1st rd pick) and Domingue. Now we only have Domingue who was the least promising of three being a 5th round pick.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
It's not the best group we've had. What makes it weak is that there is no proven starter. There is tons of competition here though which is what makes it so intriguing.

Al Montoya, Zac Bierk, Brian Boucher are three more to add to the list of high hope goalies.. not sure it's accurate to say only 2 are NHLer's.. you're forgetting Dubnyk..

I dont think Scott Darling belongs on that paricular list. A round 6 pick he never got any hype around here or with the Coyotes. When he left it was barely noticed. A big miss, but you cant catch all the late bloomers.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
It's not the best group we've had. What makes it weak is that there is no proven starter. There is tons of competition here though which is what makes it so intriguing.

Al Montoya, Zac Bierk, Brian Boucher are three more to add to the list of high hope goalies.. not sure it's accurate to say only 2 are NHLer's.. you're forgetting Dubnyk..

I dont think Scott Darling belongs on that paricular list. A round 6 pick he never got any hype around here or with the Coyotes. When he left it was barely noticed. A big miss, but you cant catch all the late bloomers.

I was talking about Coyote draft picks really.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hill started his rookie AHL season 7-0-1/.927 before the Cunny situation (and Perlini call-up) impacted the balance of the year. Hill suffered as did the rest of the team the balance of the year.

He's 6-4/190 with good instincts. Personally I feel he will be a starting NHL goalie and is one of our best prospects.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Darling had personal off ice issues while with the Coyotes that came out later. It wasn't until he cleaned himself up that his career turned around.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I was talking about Coyote draft picks really.

Oh I see, that's why Darling is on the list so that makes sense

As an approach to goaltending, it's not really useful though? Its the position you're least likely to draft your own players.

I remember being excited when we had this particular group
Sean Burke
Brian Boucher
Zac Bierk
JM Pelletier
Patrick DesRochers

Blows the current group out of the water really and it all came to nothing in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad