Do the Avs need an elite goalie to win the cup?

Should the avs go for an elite goalie?

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
People scoffed at the idea about the avs acquiring Carey Price when it’s been suggested but it seems like most Stanley cup winners have one thing in common- an elite goalie to steal games and play solid. I know people will say” well… such and such a team didn’t have an elite goalie and still won a cup but for the most part I think that the style the avs play that they will need an elite goalie to put them over the top. Defensively structured teams like the isles can win a cup on the backs of good not great goaltending but Varly had been as close to elite as you can get in these playoffs. Final four goalies are Price, Fleury, Varly and Vasilevski. If the avs have either of these goalies playing for them they too are in the final 4 this year. Should the avs squire an elite goalie this off season?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Considering Cam Ward, Chris product of the trap Osgood, Antii Niemi, & Jordan Binnington have backstopped teams to Cups in the cap era, no.
Yeah but the avs obviously don’t play a trap game or heavy forechecking game and rely on speed and skill.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah but the avs obviously don’t play a trap game or heavy forechecking game and rely on speed and skill.

I wouldn’t put Giguerre, Tim Thomas, Crow, Murray, or Holtby in the category of elite goalies, either, though. The problem is the Avs neither play a style, nor ice a roster conducive to advancing deep into the postseason.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn’t put Giguerre, Tim Thomas, Crow, Murray, or Holtby in the category of elite goalies, either, though. The problem is the Avs neither play a style, nor ice a roster conducive to advancing deep into the postseason.
Does Montreal really? Timely scoring and riding the back of a great goalie are the sole reason they are in the final 4. If we had Price or Gibson in net I think we are in instead of Vegas right now

Reactions: jabubenice

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Does Montreal really? Timely scoring and riding the back of a great goalie are the sole reason they are in the final 4. If we had Price or Gibson in net I think we are in instead of Vegas right now

I don’t think Grubauer’s the reason Colorado’s golfing right now. They’ve got bigger issues than in net, unless they let him walk & roll with Frankie Rebounds next year…

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Avs are a well structured team.

You don’t need an elite goalie, but you sure as hell need really good goaltending to win a cup.

The goaltending position is a little bit weird. You don’t really see a 3C dominate the playoffs, but a mediocre goaltender can catch fire.

It helps a lot if you have an elite guy no doubt, but it’s not essential.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs are a well structured team.

You don’t need an elite goalie, but you sure as hell need really good goaltending to win a cup.

The goaltending position is a little bit weird. You don’t really see a 3C dominate the playoffs, but a mediocre goaltender can catch fire.

It helps a lot if you have an elite guy no doubt, but it’s not essential.
Of the 4 guys remaining Vasi is the only guy I consider elite. Price is still solid but I dont think he's elite anymore but he's still capable of playing elite hockey if that makes sense. Varly and MAF are good goalies but I dont consider them elite even if MAF is up for the Vezina.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Of the 4 guys remaining Vasi is the only guy I consider elite. Price is still solid but I dont think he's elite anymore but he's still capable of playing elite hockey if that makes sense. Varly and MAF are good goalies but I dont consider them elite even if MAF is up for the Vezina.
All you need is for a goalie to get hot at the right time. Look at Binnington or Matt Murray, elite goaltenders are hardly the key to winning a Cup anymore.

Why Grubauer is being blamed for the loss instead of Graves, Nemeth, or any of the depth forwards who produced zero offense in the Vegas series is beyond me.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
[QUOTE="Northern Avs Fan, post: 178805237, member: 317805"]The Avs are a well structured team.

It helps a lot if you have an elite guy no doubt, but it’s not essential.[/QUOTE]

They’re really not come postseason. Add Bednar’s Puritan approach to hockey & I’ll be back here next May saying I told you so.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
All you need is for a goalie to get hot at the right time. Look at Binnington or Matt Murray, elite goaltenders are hardly the key to winning a Cup anymore.

Why Grubauer is being blamed for the loss instead of Graves, Nemeth, or any of the depth forwards who produced zero offense in the Vegas series is beyond me.
I blame Grubauer for Game 6. Of the list of problems this team had in the playoffs hes pretty low. Nemeth, Graves and Girard were bigger problems

Reactions: LOFIN

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Varly playing for the Islanders just proves our team has weaknesses and goalie like GRU can easily win it.

Sure, Varly and GRU wouldn't take Habs as far as Price but if the team is otherwise good, they can get the job done.

And btw. Where do you find this elite goaltender?? Yep. You don't.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Fix that.
I don’t think the avs are going to change their whole system when they have players like Mack and Makar who thrive in the system they are playing now. The avs finished with the president’s trophy so there is not much more to improve on from that perspective just that goaltending has been our achellies heel for the last couple of seasons in the playoffs. Gru is great but as we’ve seen he’s not proven he is an elite playoff goalie. He was given the reigns in Washington and was replaced by Holtby who went on to win the cup, he was injured last year and really couldn’t keep it together this year. Gru is going to want term and money on this contract. Do we really want to sink big term and $$$$ on a goalie who has proven to be good not great.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don’t think the avs are going to change their whole system when they have players like Mack and Makar who thrive in the system they are playing now. The avs finished with the president’s trophy so there is not much more to improve on from that perspective just that goaltending has been our achellies heel for the last couple of seasons in the playoffs. Gru is great but as we’ve seen he’s not proven he is an elite playoff goalie. He was given the reigns in Washington and was replaced by Holtby who went on to win the cup, he was injured last year and really couldn’t keep it together this year. Gru is going to want term and money on this contract. Do we really want to sink big term and $$$$ on a goalie who has proven to be good not great.

- Heavier defense
- Grittier bottom six forwards
- Better goaltending

In that order of priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad