Do teams really need 4 lines?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Obviously no, not when they play against a team that do not have one, it is obviously a choice.

Is it needed if they want to play at that pace.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Weird question: Has any team ever tried not using "lines" and just cycling individual players on and off the ice? The drawback of this is obvious (lack of chemistry and difficult ice time management), but it could also create some match-up difficulties for the other team. Seems like it could work as an occasional strategy for a visiting team - especially in a playoff series.

When I coached, I had a time where I would play pairs rather than lines. Allowed me to cycle a winger in and out a lot quicker especially on the rush (lined wingers up on the ends of the bench to give a jump advantage). Players, everyone really hated it. There was too much gap in talent to make it predictable but I've always wondered why it's not done more at other levels.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
They'll add a fourth pair of D before they remove the fourth line

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
An injury would tax too much remaining guys unless you have polyvalent players who could switch positions. Not a fan of 4th liners but it is a necessary evil.

NHLPA would also not support this.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
When I coached, I had a time where I would play pairs rather than lines. Allowed me to cycle a winger in and out a lot quicker especially on the rush (lined wingers up on the ends of the bench to give a jump advantage). Players, everyone really hated it. There was too much gap in talent to make it predictable but I've always wondered why it's not done more at other levels.
Some teams still run pairs with the third guy being interchangeable. They just reset on faceoffs if the coach doesn't have a blender out .

If you look at icetime your star guy tends to play a significant amount more than whoever the worst guy on the line is that isn't just from extra pp time or whatever . Either longer shifts or tossing them out for extra shifts whenever .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad