Do teams play us harder due to McDrai?

Do teams play us harder due to McDrai?

• Yes, they definitely play us harder.

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • No they don't, it just seems that way.

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • No they don't, and it seems that way since we're not that great of a team.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • No they don't, and it's because we typically have poor energy/drive/committment.

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I've been wondering this for quite a while, and especially since we're in this North division. It 'seems' like there are many games where the opponent plays us really hard. They forecheck and backcheck hard, they pressure us and they seem to have a lot of energy. Contrast that to a number of other games where the two teams (non-Edmonton) just play the game with less energy/pressure on each other.

I can see teams getting 'up' to face #29 and #97, specifically ramping up their game and try to shut them down. Do you think teams play us harder and get more up for the games since we have the big duo, or is it just the fact we're not a good enough team or we don't get up for games ourselves like our opponents do?

My first poll ever lol!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've been wondering this for quite a while, and especially since we're in this North division. It 'seems' like there are many games where the opponent plays us really hard. They forecheck and backcheck hard, they pressure us and they seem to have a lot of energy. Contrast that to a number of other games where the two teams (non-Edmonton) just play the game with less energy/pressure on each other.

I can see teams getting 'up' to face #29 and #97, specifically ramping up their game and try to shut them down. Do you think teams play us harder and get more up for the games since we have the big duo, or is it just the fact we're not a good enough team or we don't get up for games ourselves like our opponents do?

My first poll ever lol!
No more than they do when "fabled" teams like the Leafs or Habs show up.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd say every team comes into playing us with a gameplan as to how to shut down McDrai where with other teams the focus might be more internal team growth focused. Bottom line is I don't think anyone wants to be embarrassed or have the score get run up against them, so against us the team buy-in is higher and they play more like a group rather than a collection of individuals. I'm not sure the effort level is all that much higher than average, just more guys pulling in the same direction.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
It seems if they shut down mcd,drai and say one other player...who ever decides to step up we have troubles. I also think the team played overall like shit vs the leafs . Good test vs lames and sens coming up,loose those and it will be a sad sad day around here

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'd like to think so. I'm hoping that's why we have such a hard time making the playoffs and why we'd be able to do some damage when we make it in.

That being said I guess that theory didn't work for the playins. I'm willing to give a pass on them though.
Even then we were a better team than Chicago during the series overall. Just not better enough to overcome our boneheaded mistakes.

That's what was so strange about that Toronto series.
Normally the Oilers can dance with any team this last year and a bit. Sure they have an off night and the games aren't close every once in awhile like any team.
But overall most losses you can attribute to some sort of break down by a player or goalie. A couple real stupid mistakes costing the game that we were may have even had the better scoring chances in.
That Toronto series was a beat down. Once they scored the first goal it was virtually over. Not the team I recognize to be honest is what made it so strange.

Reactions: subnet

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDrai strategy lately is to play so lousy that this happens less in the future.

jk

The answer is yes. Either of these players can make a whole opponent club look silly on almost any night. In the annals of sports teams always rise up against the superstars.

Calgary Flames NEVER get this response. Really in their entire history. Think about it, they've never ever had a superstar. yes, it could worse Oilers fans, heh.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They all play McDrai hard for sure. There is no escaping their reputation, like what guys like Crosby have dealt with since Jr. But McDrai usually overcome that like good players do. And then when McDrai are on the bench and the other team is playing their bums, we get wasted. I'm not convinced it takes a next level effort to dominate the bottom half of the shallow lineups we've had over the years.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yes and no. They are probably thinking about Connor and Leon all the time because of the fear of getting embarrassed. And they are also thinking about pressuring the rest of the lineup because of the talent imbalance with the bottom 6. Pressure those other guys because they are more vulnerable. Nobody is likely to ever take the Oil for granted because the top two are so good but I think clubs like Calgary and Winnipeg usually try to play against the whole lineup. Didn't work so well for the Flames recently but generally they try to apply their own game rather than just shut down the Oilers.

I think the Leafs had a greater level of desperation going into the recent matchups without Matthews and the Oilers v Leafs strategy is heavy on shutting down Matthews so it left them not knowing what to expect from the new look. Thats why clubs often do well when their star is out. They can't stretch that desperation forever and once teams get enough video of their revised lineup they adapt but you see runs happen quite a bit.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No more than any other opponent. The Oilers though are a finesse, softer team that has shown to get exposed by teams with an aggressive forecheck which leads to defensive zone breakdowns and scoring opportunities on suspect goaltending. The Oilers have shown fragile resiliency including a high number of goals scored minutes apart so press the attack and there is decent chance they will falter. Of course, game playing also focuses on trying to bottle up the two Hart Trophy winners as (until this season) there is little depth scoring.

Exploit a team's weakness. For the Oilers they've not yet demonstrated the hard work, commitment, smarts, and consistency required to clean up their own zone play. It breaks down under strong pressure and often the team sags as a result.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Oilers are an exceedingly generous houseguest consistently having pretty a mediocre home ice record this year and past. Opponents know coming in with a bit of work rate they will be well rewarded by a soft, generous host.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I watched numerous Northern games this year where those others teams played incredibly poorly. We don't see those games as often as others from the limited overall picture I've seen.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
McDrai strategy lately is to play so lousy that this happens less in the future.

jk

The answer is yes. Either of these players can make a whole opponent club look silly on almost any night. In the annals of sports teams always rise up against the superstars.

Calgary Flames NEVER get this response. Really in their entire history. Think about it, they've never ever had a superstar. yes, it could worse Oilers fans, heh.

I'd say there's an argument to be made that Iginla was a superstar, but obviously still nowhere near McDrai levels.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I need to bump this to the top :)

It seems (to me) that every team plays us harder. Flames vs. Jets - boring. Habs vs. anyone - boring. Lleaves vs anyone - boring.. Anyone vs. anyone - boring. Except when McDrai comes to town the team's get up for it. It's not' complaining', rather an observation. Sucks that we have some true amazing talent I guess :D

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Other teams just play McDrai harder because shutting them down is the key to winning. Rest of the team is AHL level.

From
Kahun,Kassian,Pulju,Yama,Archi,Nygard,Haas,Neal, Chiasson
To
guys on taxi squad + AHL + Holloway is not a big dropoff.

Reactions: McDrai

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Other teams just play McDrai harder because shutting them down is the key to winning. Rest of the team is AHL level.

From
Kahun,Kassian,Pulju,Yama,Archi,Nygard,Haas,Neal, Chiasson
To
guys on taxi squad + AHL + Holloway is not a big dropoff.
You'd be surprised.

Reactions: McSuper

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Ask every opposing player on the McDavid highlights. It sucks to be humiliated, and those highlights get a lot of play time.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Montreal sucks except when they play us . It because they get ready to play us and know they have to play as a 5 man unit to shut down McDrai . Look at Calgary vs Montreal the last 2 games . They Flames always seem to be open . When Edmonton plays them there no room to move . This is the same with the Leafs and Vancouver .

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I don't think they play harder necessarily - I just think they have a very specific game plan in mind to shut us down.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think McDavid is always going to be keyed on by pretty much every team more than a typical star player.

In the past I think yes and no. I don’t think American eastern teams (and probably some west teams in America) generally have to the same degree as this year . But it feels like in the Canadian division, that they do.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Montreal has the same problem a lot of mediocre teams have when facing teams with superstars. They spend all their energy and effort chasing a few skaters that they get worn out because they dont have any depth beyond their grinders. The regular season series will be their highlight as they either miss the playoffs or get crushed in the first round. Mcdavid gets shut down and has bad games like any player is capable of. But the fact that the Teams in the north have to expend so much energy trying to shut down two hart trophy winners will pay off for at least this season because of how often they play the same opponent.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013

It's generally true, but would you put Joe Nieuwendyk in the superstar category (non-generational)? Scored 51, 51, 45 and 45 in his first four seasons, won three cups with three different teams, 2002 gold medal, still ranks 4th in history for goals scored as a rookie (2nd when he did it)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's generally true, but would you put Joe Nieuwendyk in the superstar category (non-generational)? Scored 51, 51, 45 and 45 in his first four seasons, won three cups with three different teams, 2002 gold medal, still ranks 4th in history for goals scored as a rookie (2nd when he did it)

I wouldnt, and the goal tallies are slightly misleading due to more goals being scored back then, and more players hitting those kinds of totals. Plus that only one of the cups was with Calgary so specific to Calgary its meaningless what he did elsewhere. Joe stats were also frontloaded by how little else was in the Flames lineup. They fed him a lot. So that some of his prolific scoring was the result of being a common target. Also in a time of substandard goaltending, weak defensive coverage..

I mean no slight to him but if an orgs best ever *superstar* is Nieuwendyk then its like going to the Vancouver Canucks Hall of fame..

Speaking of which its astounding how little Van, Cgy, Win, western based clubs have ever had to cheer for. I mean talk about bleak. Western Canada sure has had a poor shake of the NHL, other than Edmonton. At least we had our time, and now have generational superstars once again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Montreal has the same problem a lot of mediocre teams have when facing teams with superstars. They spend all their energy and effort chasing a few skaters that they get worn out because they dont have any depth beyond their grinders. The regular season series will be their highlight as they either miss the playoffs or get crushed in the first round. Mcdavid gets shut down and has bad games like any player is capable of. But the fact that the Teams in the north have to expend so much energy trying to shut down two hart trophy winners will pay off for at least this season because of how often they play the same opponent.

In fairness to Montreal they are missing Price and Gallagher. That would be like Flames having to play these games without Gaudreau and Markstrom. The latter being the story of most of the Flames wins against the Habs this season. He's just stoning them time and again. Its all Markstrom all day in the matchup.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I need to bump this to the top :)

It seems (to me) that every team plays us harder. Flames vs. Jets - boring. Habs vs. anyone - boring. Lleaves vs anyone - boring.. Anyone vs. anyone - boring. Except when McDrai comes to town the team's get up for it. It's not' complaining', rather an observation. Sucks that we have some true amazing talent I guess :D

Hey, if teams continuously bring their A game vs. McDrai and their motley crew, it's good to prepare them for the playoffs where teams are certain to bring their best. So it's not really a bad thing if teams play their best games against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad