Do Rangers have a easier route to ECF than the Caps by finsihing 4th instead of 1st?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Looks like Rangers will get Montreal in the first rd - and if they somehow get past that - they'll get either Ottawa/Toronto/Boston - all teams Rangers will have a better record than.

Caps will get the 8 seed in round 1 - but then have to face Pitt or CBJ in the 2nd round. One of the top 4 teams in the NHL.

It's pretty ridiculous how the playoffs are set up. This could be the second year in a row the Caps win the Presidents Trophy and have to play the team with the second best record in the East in the second round again. Meanwhile, the team with the 6th best record (team the finishes 2nd in Atlantic) could actually have home ice in both the 1st and 2nd round.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I mean the Rangers have to beat a superior Corsi team on the road with an elite goalie opposing them before even getting to the 2nd round. Not impossible (I think is NYR is a good squad overall) but I'd say MTL is the favorite there with all of those factors (even with the points discrepancy). Plus, MTL has been very hot recently.

MTL is better than any team the Caps will play round 1.

Can't really talk ECSF without first mentioning the quarter finals lol

So now, I don't think so.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
While I see the point you're making, I don't think anyone would take the Habs over Boston/Toronto/Ottawa. Maybe Tampa but they're probably not gonna make it at this point.

If they get to the second round - certainly.

I will say that the Rags got the better deal compared to CBJ. Unsure if the Pens would rather play the Habs or CBJ - probably CBJ.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
^ I take Lundqvist over Price in the playoffs, lot better track record, and hes an absolute gamer. I personally believe it will go 7 and can really go either way. Idk how people are so confident in Montreal rolling thru them

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Honestly the habs vs rangers is a coin flip for me. I definitely want mtl to win bit it could go either way.

But sure .. overall, yes, finishing in the WC spot and jumping over to the atl division is an easier road, for sure.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Divisional playoffs are going to present issues such as this. I know 2 years ago it was a pretty common thought that Chicago/Nashville was in no way a 1st round matchup.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Yeah Rangers will be killed by the Habs. They have been a mediocre team since their shooting percentage hovered around 15% after the first 20 games. Now that it is coming down to earth, they don't look so hot anymore.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
They need to go back to the old 1v8 format. This division stuff is nonsense

Agreed. Go back to the Conference seeding, with:
#1 seed vs. #8 seed
#2 vs. #7
#3 vs. #6
#4 vs. #5

All this current system does is allow for some skewed and screwed up matchups that could happen but shouldn't happen in the 2nd round.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd say it's equivalent. Caps get an easier match up in the 1st round but a harder match up in the 2nd round. We'll see, but the Rangers were wise to switch over to the Atlantic bracket. I don't think they would survive in the Metro bracket.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
^ I take Lundqvist over Price in the playoffs, lot better track record, and hes an absolute gamer. I personally believe it will go 7 and can really go either way. Idk how people are so confident in Montreal rolling thru them

Lundqvist had a much better playoff track record than Murray last year (sarcasm) in the opening round yet he gave up 21 goals to Murray's 10. Murray now has a Cup and Lundqvist still doesn't. He also gets older every year, too...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Caps will get an easier 1st-round matchup, but yes if the Rangers beat Montreal they'll have a much easier 2nd-round matchup than facing one of Pittsburgh or Columbus

PhillyFaninMTL

Mar 30, 2016
Montreal
Regardless of who you think will win the series (Habs v. Rangers), they definitely have an easier route than any of the other Metropolitan teams, considering they would be playing a 4/5th seed (if the standings were 1-8) in the 1st round and either a 6th or 7th seed in the second round.

The difference between 6/7/8 is not significant, so its an easier route than Washington and a MUCH easier route than Pitts and Cbus

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Have you been watching them lately?

I hate to admit it but the Habs are a force right now. Price had an un-Price-like first half but he's back to the best on the planet and they've also got the best shutdown d man... They've got a good coach whose got the team rolling and I'd bet they roll over the Rangers in 5 or 6.

Anything can happen but looking at everything including trends and momentum, the Habs are smarter pick here.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
rangers have change to beat habs if they actually play their better goalie, Raanta has shown allready this season that he is better than Henrik. hopefully he gets his change to show what he is made of.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They have a much harder 1st round IMO. Easier 2nd round if they get there.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Playoff matchups are overrated. Your biggest opponent is yourself. Your team shows up, doesn't matter who you play, especially when you're going for the cup.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Have you been watching them lately?

I hate to admit it but the Habs are a force right now. Price had an un-Price-like first half but he's back to the best on the planet and they've also got the best shutdown d man... They've got a good coach whose got the team rolling and I'd bet they roll over the Rangers in 5 or 6.

Anything can happen but looking at everything including trends and momentum, the Habs are smarter pick here.

Weber is not even top 10 defensively overall in the league. His offense is actually one of his stronger points believe it or not.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Playoff matchups are overrated. Your biggest opponent is yourself. Your team shows up, doesn't matter who you play, especially when you're going for the cup.

What if you're playing a team thats more likely to "show up" than you are, or less likely to "show up"?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Rangers in 5 over the Scabs.

Shouldn't be very close unless Price goes god-mode which is entirely possible.

I'm a habs fan ( full disclosure) but the habs are humming right now and price has been god mode for at least a month. Seccondary scoring is back, we are generally healthy and although we have some problems ( turtleneck, galchenyuk) we also have guys ramping up ( gallagher, breakaway byron and shaw) and a 4th line with speed and size ( mccarron/ott/martinssen/ king ( OK not so much speed) that can cycle and bang.

I have no idea who will win, I"m hopeful the habs will ( I have a gentleman's and reciprocal jersey bet with my boss) but even with my habs colored glasses, the habs have a lot going in their favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad