Do players own their jerseys? Or does the team?

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Looking at the game worn jerseys on meigray.com I saw this one: Item Detail - Schremp, Rob /Tarnstrom, Dick<br>White Set 1<br>Edmonton Oilers 2005-06<br>#33

It seems funny that an NHL franchise with all their millions of dollars would recycle a used jersey like this to save a few bucks.
I always assumed that players are just given jerseys to keep, but is that not the case? Based on the abundance of jerseys on meigray it seems like the teams own the jerseys, lend them to the players, then have them sold to bring in some extra revenue. It would be cool if someone closer to the game than myself could shed light on this.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Depends. Teams supply the jerseys. Usually a player wears one road/home jersey for 1/3 of the season (could be less or more, varies by team). After they're done being used they usually end up on Meigray, sold to collectors, put up for auction, put in storage, etc. If a player hit an important milestone in that jersey they'll probably be allowed to keep it, or it goes off to the HoF. For special jerseys like in the Winter Classic, they actually may wear multiple jerseys during the course of a single game. Then they usually can keep one, one goes to auction, HoF, etc.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Often other organisations (like the team store or MeiGray as you mentioned) have claims on the jerseys before they're even worn, and sometimes they are even pre-sold. As a result the players can't just take them whenever. I think they might get their first ever or other very special ones potentially.

Reactions: barry halls

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
These are copyrighted items. NHL and team logos belong to them so an individual player legally can't lay claim to it regardless of whether their name is on the back. That's not to say the team would prevent them from keeping one or as seen in other sports where a player hands their jersey to a fan.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The players usually get to keep the last jersey they wore for the team. For personal collection.

Well, except Mike Cammalleri.

Reactions: Inkling

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Depends. Teams supply the jerseys. Usually a player wears one road/home jersey for 1/3 of the season (could be less or more, varies by team). After they're done being used they usually end up on Meigray, sold to collectors, put up for auction, put in storage, etc. If a player hit an important milestone in that jersey they'll probably be allowed to keep it, or it goes off to the HoF. For special jerseys like in the Winter Classic, they actually may wear multiple jerseys during the course of a single game. Then they usually can keep one, one goes to auction, HoF, etc.

Very interesting replies here! Frequency of wear is something I was wondering about too, like whether players get to wear a brand new jersey for every game or if they have to keep the same one for a while. It makes sense that teams wouldn't want to just give them away, considering a $200 jersey worn by someone like McDavid or Matthews for a game suddenly becomes worth $10000 or more.

On another note those game worn jersey featuring tears and puck marks from game action are way too cool and I'm very jealous of the fans who have enough dough to buy them.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What a breath of fresh air this is. An actual interesting question and a nice and educated answer. Well done guys.

Sorry to mess it up but it just felt so unusually good that I had to.
So what you're saying is that "It's time to start talking about who owns the jerseys?"

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
He was traded to Calgary mid game and the team asked for his Habs jersey back before he left. Just think about how that conversation went... "Mike, you've been traded, please take off your jersey, we're going to hold on to it"
Wow that's brutal lmao. How can such a rich organization pinch pennies that much

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
He was traded to Calgary mid game and the team asked for his Habs jersey back before he left. Just think about how that conversation went... "Mike, you've been traded, please take off your jersey, we're going to hold on to it"
What a garbage move.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Very interesting replies here! Frequency of wear is something I was wondering about too, like whether players get to wear a brand new jersey for every game or if they have to keep the same one for a while. It makes sense that teams wouldn't want to just give them away, considering a $200 jersey worn by someone like McDavid or Matthews for a game suddenly becomes worth $10000 or more.

On another note those game worn jersey featuring tears and puck marks from game action are way too cool and I'm very jealous of the fans who have enough dough to buy them.

Most teams wear two sets of jerseys during the season, a new set for playoffs and another set for the SCF. There may be a one off game jersey once or twice a year.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If I recall, Geoff Molson eventually intervened and Cammalleri eventually did get the jersey, but it was an embarassing time for the Habs.

To be fair, some teams actually sell the jersey before they are worn by the player. As in, you, the fan, pay the team and can watch the player skate around in a jersey that you 'own' and then you get the jersey after the segment of the season is over that it's worn for. I don't know/remember if the Habs did that but it's possible the jersey had been spoken for, but I believe there's usually a clause that the team can cancel the sale if they want to.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
These are copyrighted items. NHL and team logos belong to them so an individual player legally can't lay claim to it regardless of whether their name is on the back. That's not to say the team would prevent them from keeping one or as seen in other sports where a player hands their jersey to a fan.

Unless the NA laws are vastly different from those of mine, I don't think copyright has much to say about the ownership of an item. Copyright has a lot to say on manufacturing an item and reproducing an item if there are elements protected by copyright in the item, but after such an item has been legally obtained, then it falls into the owner's competence under the ownership to decide what happens to the item. You go buy a CD from a store, you can then as the owner sell that singular physical piece of copyrighted work to a third party on graislist.

What happens to the ownership of a singular jersey item when a team provides one to a player for the purposes of fulfilling his duties in him employment is a question outside the scope of copyright. NHL possibly has some general by-laws on the subject.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
CBA 16.14 (d) on the 14 Goaltender Professional Try-Out Agreement:

A Player signed to a PTO pursuant to this section will be paid US $500 per game and will be allowed to keep his game-worn jersey. This amount will not be included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50.

Other than that, the CBA hasn't much to say on jerseys except that the sale of certain jerseys with their value enhanced by the association to a player is listed under Hockey-Related Revenues of the Club and the League in 50.1 (a)(i)(V)(3):

The sale or disposition of game-worn, practice-worn and other event-worn or used Player jerseys and/or equipment along with the sale of any other hockey-related items whose value is directly enhanced by an association with a Player's personality rights;

Both strongly suggest that there is some high-level NHL statute on the jerseys as a main rule remaining under the club ownership, but that statute is not in the CBA. I would guess there either is some paperwork involved whenever a player is allowed to keep one, or (more likely) there is some specific general exceptions set in said the NHL statute on specific occasions when the player gains the ownership of the singular jersey that has been provided to them by the club for the purposes of employment.

Jersey collectors with the proofs of purchases and the proofs of the genuinety probably could tell us who exactly are they buying the jersey from according to the receipt and what parties are associated in the genuinety-assurance process. I would guess there should be a list of all transfers that the jersey went through since having been held by the original owner (=club).

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Please tell me you're not employed in copywrite law :laugh:

Reactions: Adityase

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To be fair, some teams actually sell the jersey before they are worn by the player. As in, you, the fan, pay the team and can watch the player skate around in a jersey that you 'own' and then you get the jersey after the segment of the season is over that it's worn for. I don't know/remember if the Habs did that but it's possible the jersey had been spoken for, but I believe there's usually a clause that the team can cancel the sale if they want to.
Every couple of months the Maple Leafs have auctions of game used merchandise and some of the items are game worn jerseys. For example during one of their recent auctions they were selling one of Auston Matthews game worn jerseys he had during his rookie season and they specifically said he wore it when he broke Wendel Clark's rookie goal scoring record, the night he scored his 40th goal and their home playoff games against Washington. The final price was well over $25,000 which is a lot, however I can see why someone would pay that much for a jersey like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Looking at the game worn jerseys on meigray.com I saw this one: Item Detail - Schremp, Rob /Tarnstrom, Dick<br>White Set 1<br>Edmonton Oilers 2005-06<br>#33

It seems funny that an NHL franchise with all their millions of dollars would recycle a used jersey like this to save a few bucks.
I always assumed that players are just given jerseys to keep, but is that not the case? Based on the abundance of jerseys on meigray it seems like the teams own the jerseys, lend them to the players, then have them sold to bring in some extra revenue. It would be cool if someone closer to the game than myself could shed light on this.
Makes sense its the Oilers, didn't they spaz at Comrie to pay back some bonus before they traded him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad