Do people care in Denver?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After reading an article in the Denver Post about the arena filled with fans from other teams and general poor attendance, and now seeing the ridiculously low prices for playoff tickets, I'm wondering...

Do the local people/media even talk about the AVS? Do they care?

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Do they sell out every game? No.
Are the fans in attendance passionate? Yes.
Are playoff tickets "ridiculously low?" That's subjective.

Let's not forget that this team finished near the bottom of the league in recent years, and picked first overall this past offseason.

Bottom line, YES, we care, and god are we excited to have a spot in the playoffs.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Denver was always a football town first. The last few years the Avs have been bad and Broncos quite good, so they naturally get more attention; however, things are improving quickly for the Avs. The fans in the past have been top notch. It could get back to there in the near future.

As far as the playoff ticket prices are concerned, I'm thinking they are trying to cut down on the number of Hawks fans in attendance and give the home fans more incentive to show up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Are playoff tickets "ridiculously low?" That's subjective.

The comment was based on the fact that I paid $35 the last time that I went to an NHL game (Nords in 1994, upper tickets, regular season, after student rebate). So $39 for playoff tickets in 2014 does appear to be quite low (from my own perspective, at least).

Bottom line, YES, we care, and god are we excited to have a spot in the playoffs.

Well I'm glad to hear it. I know Denver is a football city but that would be a shame if this team went unnoticed by the general public.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
After reading an article in the Denver Post about the arena filled with fans from other teams and general poor attendance, and now seeing the ridiculously low prices for playoff tickets, I'm wondering...

Oh Jesus, you know who wrote that article, right? If you don't know, it's shock jock Kizsla.

This is why I get so upset what the DP writes, because it creates these completely false BS perceptions.

Let me break it down, first of all the Avs do not have poor attendance, the numbers have risen each year since 09-10 and this season has seen many sellouts or even over capacity games. Next year when a new season ticket base is added in the attendance will rise again. The Avs have been at around 16500/18000 for the season. That's not poor attendance.

Second of all, teams from GD bandwagon teams show up not because the Avs can't sell but because everyone moves here from Detroit, Chicago, the east coast and have to support their precious teams. What's never mentioned is how many Avs fans show up in other cities. There were so many in Ottawa even the players were talking about how much support their was. That never makes the articles becuase it doesn't fit the narrative.

Discounted playoff tickets? That's 100% false. Tickets for playoff games are always more than regular season and the Avs are no different. The Avs are not the Leafs charging $$$$$ for playoff tickets. Where the hell is that perception even coming from? That's how it always is round 1, a slight increase over regular season and it goes up from there. The Broncos are the same way. So are the Nuggets and Rockies. I just spent $260 for two tickets, doesn't sound like a discount to me.

It's is going to take time for a sell out fanbase to return, we get that. When other bandwagon teams were losing their arenas had much more problems than the Avs have. It's easy to pick on the Avs because the fanbase endured so much garbage the last few years. Might as well kick us some more when things are rebounding. Denver will always be a Broncos town, obviously. But are people not aware of how many bandwagon fans of other teams show up there too? Denver loves a winner, the success and story of this season will help the fanbase for years to come.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
At least the Denver Post going for a paywall means that unsuspecting outsiders won't be suckered into reading Kiszla's garbage

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
And it's easy to explain the amount of "enemy" fans at Pepsi Center. The majority of those tickets (Hawks, Bruins, Wings, Rags, etc...) were bought when tickets first went on sale and a lot of Avs fans didn't know if the team would be any good Roy or not. Those four fan bases I mentioned, in addition to Pittsburgh all have large presences here in Denver and they all "travel well". I would bet Chicago has a smaller presence here in the 1st round. But they will still be loud.

And I fully anticipate tons of Pens fans at Pepsi tonight.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
People forget that Denver is an incredibly crowded sports market. People here have options.

We're the smallest city with a team in all four big leagues, plus we have MLS. And we have the flagship franchises of both pro lacrosse leagues (Mammoth have averaged 15,000 fans a game for 10+ years, Outlaws 8-10K for 8), CU and CSU football and basketball, plus all the other minor league and college programs in the state (DU, Colorado College, Air Force, Northern Colorado, Metro, CHL, ECHL, minor league baseball, etc).

History shows that whatever sport you're selling in this market, people will buy it as long as you have a good product and treat the fans with respect.

I have no doubt the Avs will have bigrger crowds next year. The Nuggets crowds will probably suffer, but it won't be anything to panic about for them either.

This city is too small to sell out every game for all its teams. The Broncos will always reign supreme in this market and the Rapids, Mammoth, and Outlaws will always have their niches. Whatever team gets secondary focus between the Avs, Rockies, and Nuggets will always depend on which of them is winning.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Oh Jesus, you know who wrote that article, right? If you don't know, it's shock jock Kizsla.

This is why I get so upset what the DP writes, because it creates these completely false BS perceptions.

Let me break it down, first of all the Avs do not have poor attendance, the numbers have risen each year since 09-10 and this season has seen many sellouts or even over capacity games. Next year when a new season ticket base is added in the attendance will rise again. The Avs have been at around 16500/18000 for the season. That's not poor attendance.

Second of all, teams from GD bandwagon teams show up not because the Avs can't sell but because everyone moves here from Detroit, Chicago, the east coast and have to support their precious teams. What's never mentioned is how many Avs fans show up in other cities. There were so many in Ottawa even the players were talking about how much support their was. That never makes the articles becuase it doesn't fit the narrative.

Discounted playoff tickets? That's 100% false. Tickets for playoff games are always more than regular season and the Avs are no different. The Avs are not the Leafs charging $$$$$ for playoff tickets. Where the hell is that perception even coming from? That's how it always is round 1, a slight increase over regular season and it goes up from there. The Broncos are the same way. So are the Nuggets and Rockies. I just spent $260 for two tickets, doesn't sound like a discount to me.

It's is going to take time for a sell out fanbase to return, we get that. When other bandwagon teams were losing their arenas had much more problems than the Avs have. It's easy to pick on the Avs because the fanbase endured so much garbage the last few years. Might as well kick us some more when things are rebounding. Denver will always be a Broncos town, obviously. But are people not aware of how many bandwagon fans of other teams show up there too? Denver loves a winner, the success and story of this season will help the fanbase for years to come.

I think there's another basic issue at play, and you alluded to it above (good post, btw). I think that perhaps the Avs attendance is kind of like a stock portfolio: It takes a long time to build up, and if you **** up, it can go down quite quickly and significantly, and then it again takes time to build back up. And let's face it - the Avs ****ed up in a big way for a number of years.

Two years from now, this attendance/team support discussion will be completely gone, IMO.

Blizzard19

Mar 16, 2014
The Avs have struggled since the salary cap came into effect. The lockout did them no favors either. Add in the horrible season last year to the already bad taste left in many fans mouths, it will take time, but people will be back. There are just too many positives in this organization right now.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Kiszla is nothing but a troll. Search his name on this board and gather what kind of stock you should put into his "opinion".

As for the fans of other teams it's endemic to Denver games (even the Broncos) as the city has always had a large transplant population particularly during the population booms of the 70's and 90's.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
yes, the fans of the team that has the NHL record for most consecutive sellouts don't care.

Huzer

Jan 12, 2007
Habs fan coming in peace. Since I've been in Denver the past 14 years, I've forgiven the Avs for acquiring Roy, and forgiven them for being the Nordiques. The Avs are second in line for my hockey affection after Montreal.

IMO, hockey fans always attend, even if they can only afford a couple of games a year. What the Avs lost are the corporate people that were buying ticket years ago to keep that inflated sellout streak alive. I remember going to more than a few games when they would announce a sellout to a seemingly 1/3 empty arena. A benefit of the crappy season last year were the incredibly cheap tickets for games. I went to more games last year than any other season!

I'm excited to attend my first playoff game here this year.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I don't blame the fans for leaving for the most part. The team put out one of the worst on ice products, along with a pretty poor off ice product too (lessening promotions, fewer give-aways, and a pretty crappy Pepsi Center), and a very high cost.

Thankfully, the trend has reversed. The on ice stuff is obviously there. They have done a lot to improve other areas as well (Pepsi Center improvements, much better fan interaction), and the prices seem to be much more in line with the rest of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad