Do not want anyone hurt- What is worse: Slew footing or fighting?- and why -

What is worse: Slew footing or fighting- and why

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
For clarity- not wishing anyone to be injured, unlike the fighting advocates such as much of Leafs Nation.
Code of the Gladiators and the Gospel According to Hockey Night in Canada says head trauma and post concussion syndrome is great if caused by a fight but terrible is caused by slew footing.
Why is one better or worse than the other?
Why is one that is in the rules great- fighting- and one that is in the rules terrible- slew footing?
Why is it ok for the players to police the game themselves through fighting, but not slew footing?

This has real implications for the Leafs as they do not have goons, so maybe they can slew foot their way to protection from those seeking to cause injury to the Leafs?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
For clarity- not wishing anyone to be injured, unlike the fighting advocates such as much of Leafs Nation.
Code of the Gladiators and the Gospel According to Hockey Night in Canada says head trauma and post concussion syndrome is great if caused by a fight but terrible is caused by slew footing.
Why is one that is in the rules great- fighting- and one that is in the rules terrible- slew footing?
Why is it ok for the players to police the game themselves through fighting, but not slew footing?
Making a 2nd thread doesn't change the original message.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Are you serious? Here's why.....

The players in a fight are willingly taking part and realize the risk involved. A slew foot is dirty and the player often has no way on protecting themselves. Also why is this an issue for the Leafs? Yeah not the heaviest team, but they're not dealing with other teams goons every night either. You're talking about the game like it's the 80's.

Either way this is one of the most absurd threads I've read on this forum, and BELIEVE me that is saying a ton. I don't understand how anyone could reasonably think up what you just did.

Reactions: stickty111

bov

Nov 13, 2010

This has real implications for the Leafs as they do not have goons, so maybe they can slew foot their way to protection from those seeking to cause injury to the Leafs?

How do you let yourself even type stuff like this?

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
I am not advocating for injury.
in the playoffs the other teams are going to be running at the Leafs with a view to injure them as Boston did in game 2 last year, and Boston got away with it.
I am not sure everyone in a fight is consenting.
Remember- Kadri got tossed when he tried to do something about it. Then the rules suddenly applied. The Leafs are going to have to police themselves and they are going to get the book thrown at them for doing so- what is to be done?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
is this serious?

risk of injury is far higher when you're not ready for an impact(ie slewfoot).

I mean...obviously.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Are you serious? Here's why.....

The players in a fight are willingly taking part and realize the risk involved. A slew foot is dirty and the player often has no way on protecting themselves. Also why is this an issue for the Leafs? Yeah not the heaviest team, but they're not dealing with other teams goons every night either. You're talking about the game like it's the 80's.

Either way this is one of the most absurd threads I've read on this forum, and BELIEVE me that is saying a ton. I don't understand how anyone could reasonably think up what you just did.
Yeah it's up there.
This one is pretty bad too.
Have teams figured out Matthews?

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
But attacking someone from behind is fine? Throwing fists at someone's head with an obvious goal to cause injury is remotely ok?

Reactions: IPS

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah it's up there.
This one is pretty bad too.
Have teams figured out Matthews?
source.gif

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
What is worse- fighting or slew footing. I think the Leafs need to go for slew footing as their opponents are going to run at them with impunity- and the Leafs will get the book tossed at them if they fight back- see Kadri. So slew-footing it is.

Fighting can lead to serious problems- there is a lot of PTSD and concision problems with former goons.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

If you are serious about CTE, the answer is that neither is more dangerous.

In fact, what may be more dangerous to a much larger population base are repeated hits to the head that do NOT cause concussions.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/18/study-repeated-head-hits-concussions-cte

Boston University study cites that even small blows over an extended period of time can produce brain injury.

This is the kind of thing you’d see by introducing body checking at a young age.

Combined with Rep programs that are all year long... summer hockey and all.... and you are putting a lot more people at risk of CTE just from what we perceive as normal but frequent contact.

So... I’d answer your poll with a neither.

And if you want to do something about it... ban contact and reduce the amount of time kids spend on ice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
But attacking someone from behind is fine? Throwing fists at someone's head with an obvious goal to cause injury is remotely ok?

I don't think any of it is fine.

Chara magically getting a pass for sucker punching people in the back of the head only furthers your overall point though. Does the NHL use voodoo magic or something to erase this from people's memories?

There's just not much a team can do to police themselves when a 6'9" 260 ogre is given a free pass to openly hurt your players. I don't know why this stuff doesn't get talked about more in Leafs Nation but I'm glad you're not afraid to start a dialogue on this kind of topic.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Slew footing by a mile. In a fight the two combatants are usually both willing participants. Yes someone can get seriously hurt of knocked out, but at least both players consented to the bout.

Slew footing is sneaky and underhanded. One guy chooses to sweep the leg out from someone else, and the uncontrolled fall can lead to serious damage as fighting if the guy falls the wrong way. The victim never sees it coming and has no way of defending himself unlike a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad