Do NFL players have no trade movement clauses like they do in NHL?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
i'm thinking about OBJ, the receiver of the Browns, who was traded to cleveland via new york...

i know he did not have no trade clauses or have a no trade list..a list of cities the player does not want to go..

i know that NHL players have no trade lists in their contract, ...for example, mark stone had calgary on his no trade list of cities....

don't want to turn into a football thread, if OBJ had a no trade list/NMC in his contract...i'll bet cleveland would be on the list of places he doesn't want to go to...

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
i'm thinking about OBJ, the receiver of the Browns, who was traded to cleveland via new york...

i know he did not have no trade clauses or have a no trade list..a list of cities the player does not want to go..

i know that NHL players have no trade lists in their contract, ...for example, mark stone had calgary on his no trade list of cities....

don't want to turn into a football thread, if OBJ had a no trade list/NMC in his contract...i'll bet cleveland would be on the list of places he doesn't want to go to...

The Browns were hyped all pre season, Baker Mayfield and a freshly promoted HC who was seen as a reason Mayfield seemed to be improving last year. I didn't see it myself, but many including some media were hyping the Browns and their chances as a possible SB team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never heard any player have one. NFLPA doesn’t have the power that other PAs do.

QBs, the most important position, never heard anyone have it. Only if a team falls out of favour with their qb do they move on from him.

Last power play that I heard was Jimmy G and his agent asking NE not to send him to Cleveland vs SF. Jimmy would have no recourse if NE sent him there. Cleveland could franchise tag him for 2 years in a worst case scenario until he got too expensive.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Never heard any player have one. NFLPA doesn’t have the power that other PAs do.

QBs, the most important position, never heard anyone have it. Only if a team falls out of favour with their qb do they move on from him.

Last power play that I heard was Jimmy G and his agent asking NE not to send him to Cleveland vs SF. Jimmy would have no recourse if NE sent him there. Cleveland could franchise tag him for 2 years in a worst case scenario until he got too expensive.
i figured that ...good point....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But a team would never trade their #1 QB unless something happened.

Bledsoe got hurt and Brady was solid and the team won.
Peyton got hurt and Luck was on the board at the draft.
Brees got hurt and they already drafted Rivers.

QBs are pretty much tied to their team until the team wants to move on and that's generally due to injury and the backup coming in and playing well.

Had Rudolph played well then the Steelers would consider something with Big Ben. Same with Kyle Allen and Cam, which they may still do.

For Seattle, they haven't drafted a QB during his era (8 years) except for Mike Teel from Rutgers in round 6 a couple of years ago. No risk of being moved.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
But a team would never trade their #1 QB unless something happened.

Bledsoe got hurt and Brady was solid and the team won.
Peyton got hurt and Luck was on the board at the draft.
Brees got hurt and they already drafted Rivers.

QBs are pretty much tied to their team until the team wants to move on and that's generally due to injury and the backup coming in and playing well.

Had Rudolph played well then the Steelers would consider something with Big Ben. Same with Kyle Allen and Cam, which they may still do.

For Seattle, they haven't drafted a QB during his era (8 years) except for Mike Teel from Rutgers in round 6 a couple of years ago. No risk of being moved.

Yeah QBs are rarely traded as teams build offenses around them depending on style. OP's question got me curious so I did a quick search and found at least one recent instance.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah QBs are rarely traded as teams build offenses around them depending on style. OP's question got me curious so I did a quick search and found at least one recent instance.
Unless a QB was never going to report like Carson Palmer and the Bengals situation the QB is tied to the team until the team wants to part ways. Bengals would have preferred to keep him but opted to move on once he decided to not report. QBs actually have so much power that it is surprising no one else has forced their way out of a bad situation since.

If the suggested rumour in the off season about Ciara wanting to be in NY or LA were true and Wilson told Seattle he wouldn’t come back to them they would not be a playoff team without him. No QB that they could have added could replicate what wilson could do for them. Would have to give in and move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad