Do most teams play 'boring' hockey?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I personally love the NFL, it's much more exciting to watch. I liked the NBA as well, but this new era of guys not wanting to compete and just create super teams/all star teams has turned me off from it.

I've heard that the nba has purposely made it more difficult to draw fouls this year, which is a twist to what we normally see in sports.

Like the nhl, the nba has also become much more tame than it used to be, and I guess it's a necessary shift.

I miss the 90s nba with teams having 1-2 stars max. There clear heroes and villains. Those that were the villains knew it, and embraced it.

It didn't hurt to have Michael Jordan of course, but some of the battles he had against those physical teams like Detroit, Indiana, and the knicks were fascinating matchups to watch.

I dont know exactly when basketball changed, but I feel like the game has changed to be more like the steve nash era suns. I was a huge nash fan, but it was more fun when their style of play was more unique.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I've heard that the nba has purposely made it more difficult to draw fouls this year, which is a twist to what we normally see in sports.

Like the nhl, the nba has also become much more tame than it used to be, and I guess it's a necessary shift.

I miss the 90s nba with teams having 1-2 stars max. There clear heroes and villains. Those that were the villains knew it, and embraced it.

It didn't hurt to have Michael Jordan of course, but some of the battles he had against those physical teams like Detroit, Indiana, and the knicks were fascinating matchups to watch.

I dont know exactly when basketball changed, but I feel like the game has changed to be more like the steve nash era suns. I was a huge nash fan, but it was more fun when their style of play was more unique.

When Lebron decided to bail on his team and join his rival in Miami, and then bail on those guys and join a team that had three 1st overall picks and a 4th overall pick under the condition they trade for Kevin Love, and then bailed on that team again. His fanboys don't like to admit it but that's what started it all. Other stars like KD did the same thing as direct "retaliation ?' I can't think of the word lol, but it's like alright if you're just gonna create a super team for an easy W i'll do the same thing. And now we're stuck in this cycle where guys don't want to beat the best, they just wanna join the best for an easy ride.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When Lebron decided to bail on his team and join his rival in Miami, and then bail on those guys and join a team that had three 1st overall picks and a 4th overall pick under the condition they trade for Kevin Love, and then bailed on that team again. His fanboys don't like to admit it but that's what started it all. Other stars like KD did the same thing as direct "retaliation ?' I can't think of the word lol, but it's like alright if you're just gonna create a super team for an easy W i'll do the same thing. And now we're stuck in this cycle where guys don't want to beat the best, they just wanna join the best for an easy ride.

The super team is one thing, but I was referring more to when the game lost those teams that tried to beat you down. I'm guessing it was at some point in the mid 2000s after the pistons and pacers, but my interest was already waning at the time.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
The super team is one thing, but I was referring more to when the game lost those teams that tried to beat you down. I'm guessing it was at some point in the mid 2000s after the pistons and pacers, but my interest was already waning at the time.
Eh when Lebron did that he became the villan and by all accounts he failed by winning only 2 in 4 years down there. The loss to the Mavs the first year is the real killer.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Super teams have been around since Wilt decided he wanted to leave Philly to join West, Baylor and the rest of them out in LA. That was like 1968

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Because two weeks isn't enough to put different systems in place properly, if it's possession hockey, trap, high puck pressure etc etc, teams are playing.

On small rink it's every system is a form of dump and chase.

I'm not sure why you think it's the "smaller" rink that leads to the dump-and-chase style of hockey. But fair enough, you might be onto something.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I agree with you. I think youre talking 90s Devils hockey right? Good thing nowadays fun and winning can be accomplished.

Just my obligatory post to point out that the Devils from 1997-2001 were pretty fun to watch offensively.

Detroit: 1,026 goals over those four seasons
New Jersey: 1,019
Colorado: 973

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Boring tends to be what's effective. If hockey's not boring, oftentimes it means that there are heavy defensive flaws.
I'm not sure why you think it's the "smaller" rink that leads to the dump-and-chase style of hockey. But fair enough, you might be onto something.
It's not rocket science, it's because you can't bypass defenders so easily. Small ice's a large reason why trap rules. The smaller the ice, the more boring the hockey.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Imagine how shitty it would be on international size ice surfaces, where the play is pushed out even further west from the slot and prime scoring areas? That would be brutal.

100% the idea that a larger ice surface is better for excitement is wrong. Just more play on the outside.

The problem right now is that too few shots are real scoring chances with modern goaltending/gear.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yes, but it's also because the NHL is guided by boring rules and set up to be boring. The rules reward over coaching of the game, reward systems that focus on screening goalies and garbage goals, and the rules and rink are designed so that there's not much room for players to operate and there's not much room to score.

Compared to other sports, it's a relatively low scoring game.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, all teams do... depending on the situation.
All teams play defensive hockey at times.

I just don't understand how so many people can just blindly say defensive hockey is necessarily boring, bit only if it's not their team doing it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The NFL is easily the most entertaining, and it's also the most complex game of the professional sports. But because of it's immense popularity, it's also popular to hate on and people think it makes them more sophisticated or something to be anti-NFL, fueled on by the often repeated and absolutely nonsensical notion that it's only 10 mins of actual play time.
I certainly don't 'hate on' the NFL, I just find it usually boring. The same with basketball and baseball.

I would rather watch a soccer game, and much rather watch hockey or hurling.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm also surprised that there are so many people who think hockey is boring, but spend so much time coming here to complain about it.

Right now there is baseball, basketball American football, football, and rugby all being played: why waste your time watching a game you find boring, and waste even more time complaining that you are wasting your time watching a game you find boring?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad