Advice: Do I still have a chance in ACHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrobReborn

Oct 14, 2015
So, I made a similar thread last week, but I was very uneducated on the topics I was arguing. I didn't understand that there are less than 150 NCAA teams, and when I was saying 'd3', those teams were actually d2/3 ACHA teams, not NCAA. Sorry to everyone for my ignorance.

Anyways, to recap for everyone who didn't see the previous thread. I am 6'3" 270 lb, 19 years old. I lost about 60 pounds in the past couple months, and I want to keep that up and be down to about 210 by Spring next year. I love hockey, but I never got into ice hockey until High School, but even then I could barely skate and played JV for 2 years. I played a ton of street hockey as a kid, and my hockey skills are fairly decent, but still a bit rusty. My problem is that I can barely skate. I've only skated for 100-150 hours, so I can pretty much only do the basics. I have a hard time stopping at high speeds and I cant even skate backwards.

I want to practice more, especially because I've only gone skating twice in the last month, then before that it's been about 2-3 years since I was last on the ice. My local rink only has open skating 3-4 times a week (not counting weekends and nights when it's packed with high school kids). Plus I mainly work 1st shift so I can only get to the rink once or twice a week. Winter is coming though, and when the local ponds freeze over I'll have much more time, but how am I supposed to train for the other 9-10 months of the year? They have adult open hockey practices, but only for 2 hours a week. They also have an adult league, which is only once a year though. I plan on playing in that next October.

I really want to play hockey competitively again, and I also want to pursuit a college degree. I narrowed down my search to 4 ACHA DIII and 2 ACHA DII schools within 50 miles that meet my academic needs. I want to play hockey for one of these schools, but is it realistic that I can make the team? I will probably wait until the 2017-2018 season so I can play in a casual adult league in 2016-2017, but also because I'm not academically ready either. But what is the competition like at those levels? I heard ACHA DII is composed of mainly the best few players on the local high school teams, and DIII is even less than that. I plan to go to a game within the month when two of these prospect schools play each other to see for myself.

So what I'm asking is:
1. Is it still possible for me to make an ACHA D2 or D3 team in 2 year if I train hard?
2. How can I get practice in when the ice thaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad