Do fans take losses harder than players?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The percentages are probably the same, it's just that the numbers are bigger.

It seems like most players can take their losses and every once in a while you've got a guy going milkcrates like Tuukka Rask or some extra screaming and venting, smashing shit...

But you amplify the number of players to 20k instead of 20 and you're already going to see an issue

Reactions: Summer Rose

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Yes fans take it harder. Fans have jobs and watch hockey for the enjoyment. For the players hockey is their job. After tbeir job they go home and put it in the rearview mirror. Plus they make millions so the loss doesn't hurt as much.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
The players definitely take it harder, they just usually have a PR team working with them so they don't post ridiculous stupidity after they lose. It's the exact opposite for a lot that post here, they post when they are emotionally at their worst.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Probably, some for sure. A lot of regular people dont have it easy.
For some, if they dont have sports, they dont have much.
Where as the players in the biggest leagues are rich, fit, popular, famous.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Some fans. I don't participate in a lot of the your team sucks stuff, and don't expect a team I root for to improve my life. A good smile, sure. And if a player has put it out there for the team, I feel more for them losing than myself. I'll go to work tomorrow, regardless. If they win, I'll feel a bit better, but if they lose, I'm sure they'll feel worse than I could

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Well at times I might get disappointed for a bit, it’s not healthy to let something out of your control like sports to ruin your day and mood.

Hockey is usually an escape route for some people to turn their brain off on life or to socialize and bring people together. You win, you celebrate. You lose, you get disappointed and maybe rant and get over it within a half hour.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Well at times I might get disappointed for a bit, it’s not healthy to let something out of your control like sports to ruin your day and mood.

Hockey is usually an escape route for some people to turn their brain off on life or to socialize and bring people together. You win, you celebrate. You lose, you get disappointed and maybe rant and get over it within a half hour.
Great response

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Fans have more loyalty to sports franchises than most of the players do, with that loyalty reflected in the widespread use of "we" when fans speak of wins & losses & trades & signings & all other sorts of team business. "Fan identification" is the term for this behavioral dysfunction. It can be cured, but sports fans are too distracted by trade rumors & box scores & off-seasons to seek help.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Haven't been on Leafs board lately I see!

digitalUID

Jun 19, 2013
Detroit
I guess it probably depends on the fan, but I doubt it in most cases. For players, there are a combination of factors that are impacting them at the end of a loss or elimination. There's the competitiveness factor, which is probably at a much higher level than the majority of fans. Then there's the business factor. Is their contract up and does this mean an impending trade or free agency? Where will their family need to move to? Are they foregoing a bonus or other salary for losing? Is retirement on the radar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad