Do coaches get olympic medals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
In 1980, Herb Brooks 'unofficially' received one of the 'extra' gold medals they keep around in case of ties, etc. One of the people on the Lake Placid Olympic Organizing Commitee made sure he got it.

But officially, no. They don't get on the podium - only athletes.

mayoradamwest*

If a coach's team medals in the olympics, does that coach get a medal too? As far as I know, in individual sports only the athlete gets a medal.

I can't remember the details, and perhaps somebody can better tell the story but I remember hearing about a Russian hockey coach taking the backup goaltenders.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I can't remember the details, and perhaps somebody can better tell the story but I remember hearing about a Russian hockey coach taking the backup goaltenders.

Russian coach Viktor Tikhonov took Nikolai Khabibulin's Gold Medal after the '92 Olympics.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
yea i heard bout that as well, wasnt sure if it was true though, guess it explains why he was relectunt to play for the russia national team for a while.

LacrosseOnIce

Aug 18, 2008
If a coach's team medals in the olympics, does that coach get a medal too? As far as I know, in individual sports only the athlete gets a medal.

UPDATE - THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION HAS CHANGED:

Well, sort of. The Olympic Games does not and will not directly reward any coaches with medals.

However, beginning with this year's Summer Olympic Games, The US Olympic Committee will honor coaches of winning athletes and teams with their own medal known as "The Order of Ikkos."

An article was just published today about it:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/134492.html

Other countries have long rewarded coaches of Olympic medalists with awards and financial payouts (For instance, in the UK, coaches of gold medal swimmers get 10,000 pounds, silver nets 7,500, and bronze earns 5,000), so the creation of some sort of recognition for US coaches is welcome news - and it can only serve to keep us more competitive in international competition.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
UPDATE - THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION HAS CHANGED:

Well, sort of. The Olympic Games does not and will not directly reward any coaches with medals.

However, beginning with this year's Summer Olympic Games, The US Olympic Committee will honor coaches of winning athletes and teams with their own medal known as "The Order of Ikkos."

An article was just published today about it:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/134492.html

Other countries have long rewarded coaches of Olympic medalists with awards and financial payouts (For instance, in the UK, coaches of gold medal swimmers get 10,000 pounds, silver nets 7,500, and bronze earns 5,000), so the creation of some sort of recognition for US coaches is welcome news - and it can only serve to keep us more competitive in international competition.
In typical hockey tradition, Hockey Canada made up rings for all the coaches/training staff/management for the gold medal team in 2002.

Kharlamov17

Apr 1, 2003
Visit site
While coaches and staff do not receive medals from the International Olympic Committee, I can confirm that they (along with the players) began receiving medals from the IIHF at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad