Do CIS hockey players get preferential admission?

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
If this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize. I'm wondering whether players in CIS hockey programs get preferential admissions like they do in NCAA programs and, if so, does it occur at the top academic schools like U Toronto and UBC, as well? Thanks in advance.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize. I'm wondering whether players in CIS hockey programs get preferential admissions like they do in NCAA programs and, if so, does it occur at the top academic schools like U Toronto and UBC, as well? Thanks in advance.

As a rule - 'no', hockey players do not get preferential admission treatment, however, each school as a different admissions criteria (some are strict while others are less so). So, schools like UoT, UBC and McGill, who are academic standouts, tend to do average or poorly in hockey due to the challenges of finding quality athletes with high academic marks. Where schools like UNB, SFX and USK have lower standards then the big three thus increasing the pool of possible candidates.

That said, I do know that coaches put constant pressure on Arts and Business faculty offices to consider their athletes for acceptance, but it's the department's decision in the end - there are no guaranteed seats.

It's worth noting that most of the athletics applying to CIS schools have likely already finished a term or two of University courses on-line. They must partake in online courses, after high school, while playing in the CHL to maintain their good standing for the CHL's education package (which covers their tuition). So, many of them will have an established university transcript when it comes time to apply. As such, there is no need for guaranteed seats as they will likely have an acceptable average to begin with.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
It's worth noting that most of the athletics applying to CIS schools have likely already finished a term or two of University courses on-line. They must partake in online courses, after high school, while playing in the CHL to maintain their good standing for the CHL's education package (which covers their tuition). So, many of them will have an established university transcript when it comes time to apply. As such, there is no need for guaranteed seats as they will likely have an acceptable average to begin with.

The other by-product of taking online courses: Many schools have a different (lower) entrance standard for transferring students vs. new students. At some schools, players that have taken a handful of online courses elsewhere (maybe 4-6, depending on the school) are considered transferring students, and thus, their path to acceptance is marginally easier.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The other by-product of taking online courses: Many schools have a different (lower) entrance standard for transferring students vs. new students. At some schools, players that have taken a handful of online courses elsewhere (maybe 4-6, depending on the school) are considered transferring students, and thus, their path to acceptance is marginally easier.

This.

Hockey players might not have been focused on their studies when they were in high school, but good results on online university courses will make a world of a difference when applying to their preferred hockey school.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
These are both great points - Universities want to accept candidates that have academic aptitude and having an established transcript (online or not) with good grades is a step above high school candidates.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Two notes that will help address your question.
1) Within each university, faculties establish minimum entrance standards. Those are typically higher for some faculties (e.g., Business, Engineering) than others (e.g., Latin American Studies), BUT typically lower than the actual cutoff for admission. For example, a Business school might say minimum GPA is 3.0, but in reality nobody with less than a 3.5 is admitted. That minimum standard is where there's some room for a candidate with other desired attributes (e.g., Mature students, athletes) to be admitted when they're below the cutoff. Deans are not going to admit a student - athlete or not - who does not meet the minimum, but they do often admit students with other desired attributes who are below the cutoff but above the minimum. That's where athletes can get unique treatment.
2) Some universities look at extra-curricular activities in the admission process. I know Laurier is one that values well-rounded students, and factors that (participation in sports) into their admission decisions. But, the top academic schools (Toronto, UBC, McGill) certainly do not.
As an aside, I'm not sure where anyone would argue that McGill is average in hockey. They dominate women's hockey, and are University Cup regulars. That's remarkable given the strict admission standards at McGill versus their competition (UQTR, Carleton, Concordia).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
As an aside, I'm not sure where anyone would argue that McGill is average in hockey. They dominate women's hockey, and are University Cup regulars. That's remarkable given the strict admission standards at McGill versus their competition (UQTR, Carleton, Concordia).

Yes - they have had great success in OUA-East despite the high academic requirements the school sets. My point was - despite being a perennial contender in OUA-East and going to numerous UCup tournaments, they have only made it to two(2) finals and won just one(1) (but that's more than UoT and UBC have done in the past 20 years).

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Yes - they have had great success in OUA-East despite the high academic requirements the school sets. My point was - despite being a perennial contender in OUA-East and going to numerous UCup tournaments, they have only made it to two(2) finals and won just one(1) (but that's more than UoT and UBC have done in the past 20 years).

This is not the forum for this discussion, but alas here it comes again ...

Since 2010, McGill has been in 4 out of the 7 University Cups, and has a record of 5W and 5L.

Only two teams (UNB and Alberta) have been in more U-Cups in that period (5 and 6 respectively). UNB has a record of 12-2, and Alberta is 9-5. Only SMU has as many wins as McGill (SMU is 5-3 in 3 U-Cups). Nobody else is better than .500 at the U-Cup since 2010. Only Saskatchewan has also been in 4 U-Cups - but 2 were as Host - and Sask has a record of 4-5 in that time.

St FX and UWO both have made 3 U-Cups and sport 3-3 records since 2010. UQTR has made 4 U-Cups, but have gone 1-7 (yikes!).

So, as I've said many times on this Forum, in CIS Hockey there's UNB, Alberta, and everybody else. Among the everybody else, McGill has had the most success in recent years.

I certainly hope McGill wins tonight. With all due respect to Queen's, they were fortunate to have a hot goalie. McGill had the shots at 58-21 in Game 2. An OUA contingent of York-Queen's-Windsor is not a strong one.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"So, as I've said many times on this Forum, in CIS Hockey there's UNB, Alberta, and everybody else. Among the everybody else, McGill has had the most success in recent years.

I certainly hope McGill wins tonight. With all due respect to Queen's, they were fortunate to have a hot goalie. McGill had the shots at 58-21 in Game 2. An OUA contingent of York-Queen's-Windsor is not a strong one."

I agree with both your points. York and Queens are "newcomers" to the big dance and their inexperience may be a factor.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Way off the original topic now, but I can't overstate enough that Queen's is the real deal here. Despite similarities in inexperience, this isn't Waterloo in '13 or Guelph in '15. Three of the Gaels 7 regulation losses came without their top four players and their head coach (during the FISU games), and they were competitive with the top teams in the OUA all season.
They're obviously not on the level of X/UNB/ALB/SASK, but they're absolutely on the level of McGill this season. Despite being on the road, I think they're definite favourites in the Queen's Cup.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Way off the original topic now, but I can't overstate enough that Queen's is the real deal here. Despite similarities in inexperience, this isn't Waterloo in '13 or Guelph in '15. Three of the Gaels 7 regulation losses came without their top four players and their head coach (during the FISU games), and they were competitive with the top teams in the OUA all season.
They're obviously not on the level of X/UNB/ALB/SASK, but they're absolutely on the level of McGill this season. Despite being on the road, I think they're definite favourites in the Queen's Cup.

Well, McGill is in, so we'll soon find out who is the real deal. I don't agree with your assessment of Queen's, because I don't think they have the depth required to compete at the University Cup. We'll know soon enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad