Do all streaming devices (laptop, roku, apple tv, etc) deliver same stream quality?

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
*NOTE: My question is in regard to actual hardware (for example a laptop, a chromecast , a ps3 etc), not streaming sites*

A little tech-noob question at the dawn of this new nhl season

So my setup to watch hockey will be : hockeystream feed to TV

I was wondering, is there a difference in the stream's quality if sent from one device as opposed to another device at equal internet connection(I will get a good internet connection). Like let's say, streaming from apple tv VS streaming from a PS3 (you can replace those two names with any streaming device there is, I am willing to look at all options so I can choose the best)

Also, is a budget laptop gonna give the same quality as a mid tier/top tier one? If not, wich specs to look for?

Thanks in advance

EDIT : I realise that IF there are differences in stream quality between devices it's probably not going to be much, but still the answer interests me, as I want to get the very best out of my setup

Last edited:

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
I use XBMC, it's a free streaming program on your pc, mac or linux. It's one of thebest streaming programs I've used. You can download the application called Sportsdevil, you can watch all the sports you want.

http://xbmc.org/

Thanks but I have already subscribed to hockeystreams

Question now is, what device will I buy to send streams on my tv screen : a ps3? A laptop? Or other?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I haven't tested hockey streams yet but my Chrome Cast is doing a really good job so far with Netflix and videos I uploaded on Plex.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
How good is Hockeystream in quality? Full screen no problem? And no blackouts?

What's the catch? :)

Guess the only catch is that there's always the chance it could get closed down overnight or they just hop off with everyone's money.

That hasn't happened over a period of years, however. Quality (apart from some problems at start of last season) is better than NHL Gamecentre in my experience.

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
I've been a Hockeystreams user for some time now.

For some reason, the stream is always higher quality on my iPad than in my laptop. :dunno:

Interesting.

But could it be solely because of the screen? Meaning that if you hooked both to the TV the quality would become comparable between both(I'm just speculating on the last part)?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
How good is Hockeystream in quality? Full screen no problem? And no blackouts?

What's the catch? :)

The catch is that it's garbage. Everything about it is garbage. Do you really want to be watching an important Habs game someone is on the breakaway... Two minutes thirty seconds left in the game and all of sudden it freezes, glitches lags. Yeah that will happen all the time.

I'm not against streaming for morality issues, I only stream if I am travelling and absolutley have to, because it seems no matter the internet quality it never is ever perfect. Just watch it on cable or at a bar.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
The catch is that it's garbage. Everything about it is garbage. Do you really want to be watching an important Habs game someone is on the breakaway... Two minutes thirty seconds left in the game and all of sudden it freezes, glitches lags. Yeah that will happen all the time.

I'm not against streaming for morality issues, I only stream if I am travelling and absolutley have to, because it seems no matter the internet quality it never is ever perfect. Just watch it on cable or at a bar.

Not if you properly configure your wireless, and the settings the website has for you.

Watched about 60 games on hockeystream last year. Maybe had 3 games where this happened, 2 of them were my fault for having too much stuff going on online on other devices at the same time.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Not if you properly configure your wireless, and the settings the website has for you.

Watched about 60 games on hockeystream last year. Maybe had 3 games where this happened, 2 of them were my fault for having too much stuff going on online on other devices at the same time.

K So I guess your the guy to talk to. Admittedly I am not the most computer savy, so if you are a layman like me, you're not going to have a good time.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
I used to hook up dual-core laptops to my tv with regular computer display cable (VGA), now I have a crazy good computer I built myself hooked up to the tv with an HDMI cable.

There aren't much differences between the 2 ways as far as streaming is concerned.

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
I used to hook up dual-core laptops to my tv with regular computer display cable (VGA), now I have a crazy good computer I built myself hooked up to the tv with an HDMI cable.

There aren't much differences between the 2 ways as far as streaming is concerned.

That's very interesting info. thanks!

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven

Thats not true VGA can only carry 480p. HDMI will carry up to 1080p. If you are watching pirate streams (unless HD from XBMC) for sure the quality will still be crap... you cant get better with low quality streams.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Some laptop video cards dont have HDMI out. So make sure it has that. There isnt any quality difference when it comes to HD quality between different generations video cards, when they upgrade its to handle more data and watching a hockey game won't matter what kind of card you get (don't get fooled by someone that tells you otherwise). Until tv isn't streamed in 4K then you will have reason to worry about a new card (4-5 years).

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Thats not true VGA can only carry 480p. HDMI will carry up to 1080p. If you are watching pirate streams (unless HD from XBMC) for sure the quality will still be crap... you cant get better with low quality streams.

720p on a VGA cable or an HDMI cable, is still 720p, I don't recall it being a big difference.

But whatever, if you buy a new computer or laptop nowadays, you better get HDMI. If you can't afford a new computer/laptop (or anything else that can go on internet and be plugged on TV) and your current computer can play HD feeds fine, I don't think it's a big deal to have to use VGA.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I need good streaming app to watch hockey on my tablet android.

Suggestions
Pls

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
I need good streaming app to watch hockey on my tablet android.

Suggestions
Pls

Hockey streams has a app looks great on my galaxy note.
For the quality hockey streams is really good but TV is still better. I used both and if its was not for the family wanting normal tv I would cancel cable and only used Hockey streams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad