Dmitry Kulikov

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With 17 points in 17 games, he's top ten in scoring amongst all defensemen in the Q. Top five in rookie scoring. Top scoring rookie defenseman. From what I understand, he's pretty good defensively, too. Also, I've read he's pretty mobile, isn't soft, and has average to above average size. So what's the deal? Why aren't we hearing anything about this kid? It seems like he'd be getting more hype than he is. I haven't seen him on many lists. What am I missing? I haven't heard anything about any other Russians, either, though. However, Kulikov is already over here in North America, so I figured there would be a little more chatter about what seems to be an exceptional start in his draft year. Especially since he was a #2 pick in the import draft, and there probably have been some eyes on him as a result.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
He will start moving up most lists very soon. It tends to take some NA-based scouting agencies time to see if imports are 'for real' in the CHL since they don't have much background on many of them.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He's a top 10 pick for sure, he has everything. What might not help him, he's Russian. He decided to come to NA to play Juniors, but it doesn't mean anything now because of Radulov...

rt

May 13, 2004
Do you Q fans think that he may have the potential to one day regularly skate on a top pairing in the NHL? I'm not asking about All-Star games or even if he's any kind of a lock, but does he seem to have the kind of potential to be very good NHLer?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It's hard to say when they're still in juniors, Dion Phaneuf was great, but no one would have predicted his performances in the NHL. He could definitely become a top pairing d-man in the NHL if he develops his abilities.

He's playing 30 minutes a game at 17... that's a lot for a player of his age.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Do you Q fans think that he may have the potential to one day regularly skate on a top pairing in the NHL? I'm not asking about All-Star games or even if he's any kind of a lock, but does he seem to have the kind of potential to be very good NHLer?

I just saw him twice this past weekend and i would say Yes

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Son of Sergei Kulikov perhaps..

What a great athlete at the World's stage. But seemed to have a rough season with the National. Scored a few goals, but had trouble going into the corners. Was a bit soft. He sure didn't like being traded to Philadelphia!

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

What a great athlete at the World's stage. But seemed to have a rough season with the National. Scored a few goals, but had trouble going into the corners. Was a bit soft. He sure didn't like being traded to Philadelphia!

:D only quebecers understand your post there lol Sergei kulikov was a hockey players in a tv series in quebec in the late 80s for those who had no clue what he was talking about

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

And he decided to go back to Russia because he was missing his son Dmitry. :sarcasm:

rt

May 13, 2004
He will start moving up most lists very soon. It tends to take some NA-based scouting agencies time to see if imports are 'for real' in the CHL since they don't have much background on many of them.

Will he represent Russia at the WJC, this year, do you think?

OT: Is there a link to any of the speculated line-ups for that tournement?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Extremeley underrated prospect. I definitely agree with the posters who are saying he is the real deal. He's a bluechipper.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He'll play in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge this week, so I guess it'll be his chance to show what he can do for Team Russia, as well other CHLers like Sergey Ostapchuk, Dmitry Kugryshev, Yuri Cheremetiev, Andrei Loktionov, Evgeny Grachev and Sergey Korostin.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
IMO he is in a group with Rundblad, Time Rixon and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Speaking of underrated players, these 3 Swedes are even more underrated IMO, since they play in Europe.

fwed

Nov 18, 2008
Drummondville
Will he represent Russia at the WJC, this year, do you think?

OT: Is there a link to any of the speculated line-ups for that tournement?

He will. He had is place with the team since last summer. He player for team Russia U18 at 16 and 17 years old.

For what I've seen for now, Kulikov will be a first rounder for the next draft. He possess all ability to play in the big league. In the begenning of the season, he does'nt play physical, but since 2-3 week, he like to play rough and try to make a big hit almost at each game.

Like some people said before, he had the hand, the hockey sense, physical ability and what a shot!!! A slap shot like we can see in the NHL and a good whrist shot.

PS: sorry if I do some errors in english, I wrote in french usually!

patsbury

Feb 19, 2008
Montreal or Drummond
Wooooooo, Drummondville people sticking aroung, I'm no more alone! Do you attend to Voltigeurs games?

Last saturday, there was PLENTY of scouts in the crowd in Drummond...I counted at least 12, and they were only those I could see at first sight. Kulikov is, for sure, one of the reason. The guy is a beast; he plays very nice offensively and and has great skills defensively! His weapon is the slapshot...I remember at the beginning of the season, I was behind the net, he slapshoted...he hit the glass, but still, the sound it has made, you knew it was a NHL caliber slap.

I will try to record some video of him thursday than youtube it.

rt

May 13, 2004
How would you guys compare him to Simon Despres, who is another QMJHL defenseman usually rated in the first round for this upcoming NHL draft?

Chris Phifer

Oct 16, 2006
I was watching one of the games in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge last week and one of the QMJHL coaches (not sure who it was, may have been his coach) said he was the best d-man prospect in the Q in the last 30 years. If his coach said that I would be imagine it's a bit of an over-statement, and the Q isn't known for it's d-men, but that's some high praise for the kid.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I was watching one of the games in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge last week and one of the QMJHL coaches (not sure who it was, may have been his coach) said he was the best d-man prospect in the Q in the last 30 years. If his coach said that I would be imagine it's a bit of an over-statement, and the Q isn't known for it's d-men, but that's some high praise for the kid.

yeah i remember that being said as well.. surely there was some hyperbole there but he must be pretty damn good though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad