Confirmed with Link: Dmitry Kulikov re-signs 3 years for $4.3m/year

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Half the league is desperate for defensive help. And a young puck mover with upside would disappear like smoke in FA.

I don't really get what people think the other option here was? Play hardball with a Russian and make him sign a 2 yr 3.0 million deal?

If we do that and probably annoy him if not straight up piss him or his agent or his family off and if in those two years he's played well (likely, imho) and we've not quite gotten over the hump and become legitimate contenders, probably struggled for the WC spots both years, then Kuli is going to go to FA for a fresh start / winning team / KHL and even if he's just been mediocre he's going to make bank.

All we could do would be deal him at the deadline and that's generally pretty hit or miss as far as what we might get back. We may need him a lot more in the future then some think we do now.

Signing him up for that third year and making sure he's being payed well (by no means exorbitantly, and no NTC to hold over the team) for that year we're making sure we don't lose our two best puck movers in the same year and giving the team one more year to decide what to do with one of our best assets going forward, be that keep him or trade him or whatever.

I think it's probably the best deal for Kuli and the team and we should all be praying his next big payday, courtesy of Viola, will be even larger.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I think this Cap hit/years is good for the fact if he needs to be dealt down the road in a year or two... a team like the Flyers or the Oilers can flip us one of their top six forwards for him and salaries/term will match up well. Or, Guds/Campbell terms can be flipped for top six winger down the road too if Kulikov becomes a keeper type player. Also, considering Matheson/Ekblad to replace Campbell's production in 2-3 years time is not out of the question if they are that special (I'm talking Campbell version 2014, not 2010 version).

Let Campbell, Kuli and Guds now battle it out on who stays here long term. The quicker Ekblad establishes himself as a Top4 dman in this league, the quicker a big trade will happen for top six RW.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
why are people saying we overpaid? this is exactly where he was expected to be money-wise. anywhere from 4-4.5, did anyone seriously think he was gonna be in the 3's? he had his entry level contract, went through his bridge contract, now was the time for an actual solid contract. he has 5yrs under his belt, still young, he's a puck mover who has tons of skill and has played on horrendous teams. we've paid jovo, kuba, and mitchell in the 4's, a top-4 23yr old puck moving D with 5yrs of experience and 8 goals last year was no doubt going to be in the 4's.

the only thing I'm worried about is if they're going to pair him with guds. kuli has been inconsistent i think mostly because he's played on terrible teams here, less than stellar line mates, and because of that he'd always try to do too much. i think playing on a better team this year, with a solid line mate and hopefully staying healthy, not only will he be more consistent but he won't feel as inclined to make the home run play every time and just simplify his style. id actually much rather play kuli on the top line with campbell and bring in a veteran D to pair with guds than to pair kuli and guds and bring in a D for campbell. that was kulikov can flourish more playing with a guy of campbell's skill, and gudbranson can play with a (hopefully responsible) veteran.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
So D lines for next season are:

Campbell/Kulikov
Gudbranson/Olsen
Mitchell/Ekblad

Robak a scratch.

at the moment, i think so. but I'm sure they'd like to find a veteran partner for gudbranson id imagine. 4 of our 6 there are really young. 18, 22, 23, and a (soon to be) 24 year old.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Roster spots still need to be filled with those spots. Plus Hubs and Bjugs will be up for raises and we need them to earn big ones. Barkov the following year.

We'll likely see two forward prospects come up full time in 15-16 as cheap replacements. We have several guys in San Antonio who are ready or close to ready. Plus the cap will keep going up.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Great signing, like the term of the contract. And the amount seems about right.. there is no way he was going to be signed for less than 4mill/year, considering his age and ability. He played great at the end of the year and hopefully continues his development.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
IMO this is a good signing. 3 years says they're still wanting more out of him, he have a year of UFA status, and as was established he was going to be in the 4s. He's not my favorite player by any stretch, but this isn't terrible. Didn't like it at first, but I've sat on it and I think it's fine.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
In other words a worse 3rd line center.

Please. You say worse as if Bolland is Bobby Holik. A third line center spot is not going to make or break this team. We could get a "worse" whatever that means third line center for a third of the price, easily, and much shorter term. We're going to live and die with the success of Barkov, Hubs, Bjugstad, and Kulikov, not Dave freaking Bolland.

Jan 19, 2006
Please. You say worse as if Bolland is Bobby Holik. A third line center spot is not going to make or break this team. We could get a "worse" whatever that means third line center for a third of the price, easily, and much shorter term. We're going to live and die with the success of Barkov, Hubs, Bjugstad, and Kulikov, not Dave freaking Bolland.

Bobby Holik was worth $9M a year as a UFA... :sarcasm:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
meh depending on how his season goes, with 2 years left next summer he is an outstanding centerpiece for a trade at the draft in sunrise.

I keep waiting for him to take it to the next level.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

We need every bit of help we can get to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad