WJC: Divisions I-III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I figured I'd start a thread for those who want to talk about the lower divisions. IIA starts tomorrow in Estonia. I really have no idea about any of these teams but I'm rooting for Great Britain to come through to win it.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Glad I'm not the only one here interested in lower tiers. Will keep an eye on German Samvel who plays for a decent Honeybaked team. Also his 15 year old teammate Robert Arrak, who just like couple of another Estonians play in Finland. Second small Baltic nation - Lithuania also is icing a kindergarden lineup, on average their roster would be eligible for U18 tournament. Brits will ice their next big thing Samuel Duggan, he might be the most promising player of this tournament.

GB should be a good bet for promotion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Was really excited about this Lithuanian team last year but quite a few players not attending due to various reasons, such a letdown but oh well, realities of a small hockey nation. Seems like a 3rd place finish would be a decent result given the circumstances.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Lithuania drops a point early despite accumulating 50 shots. Caught only a glimpse of the game, so don't really know if Baltrunas was bad or unlucky.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Looks like a bunch of Lithuanian/Estonian players are from the Latvian league. Also, pretty sure a couple of Lithuanians are playing for HK Riga in MHL.

Excited to see the almighty Koreans (who, according to some, are bound to make the Elite division of the World Champs soon :sarcasm:) against the micro-nation of Estonia.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Estonia have had 15 shots all game but are tied 3-3 with Kore and their 44 shots with 5 minutes or so to go.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Estonia have had 15 shots all game but are tied 3-3 with Kore and their 44 shots with 5 minutes or so to go.
Fun fact: the Estonians are coached by Sami Helenius, who was a long time enforcer in the NHL (recorded 2 goals in 155 games).

IceBlacks

Dec 17, 2013
5 and a game for kicking? Why would you do that?:facepalm:

It was match penalty, not 5 and a game ;) There is no other option for kicking than match penalty, 25 minutes. Now he is automatically suspended for 1 game.

I didn't know at all what to expect from Korea this year but that result showed that they have improved very much recently. Two years ago Korea lost to Estonia 3-8 in Div 2B in their final game and Estonia was promoted. Gonna be very interesting tournament this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It was match penalty, not 5 and a game ;) There is no other option for kicking than match penalty, 25 minutes. Now he is automatically suspended for 1 game.

I didn't know at all what to expect from Korea this year but that result showed that they have improved very much recently. Two years ago Korea lost to Estonia 3-8 in Div 2B in their final game and Estonia was promoted. Gonna be very interesting tournament this year.

The IIHF boxscore had 25 minutes, which I just assumed was 5+20(game misconduct), it's basically the same thing anyway, except match penalty has the auto suspension like you said, but a suspension probably would have came upon review anyway.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lithuania drops a point early despite accumulating 50 shots. Caught only a glimpse of the game, so don't really know if Baltrunas was bad or unlucky.

I'd say he was regular and regularly he just isn't good. If the team allows him to be scored on chances are he will get scored on. Now the good thing is that's the case with pretty much every goalie of the tournament.

Who are the absentees, that would improve the Lithuanian roster?

Danielius Benilovas, Dominykas Bogdziulis, Donatas Vitte and Erikas Sadauskas. They wouldn't be the leaders of the team but the same time all of those are really solid players at this level that would help the team tremendously.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Looks like GB will get the job done and return to their rightful place after the demotion last year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
After seeing results of first two days and all the teams play I have a very strong suspicion GB is moving up and Romania is going down. No surprises here, really. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a team which could at least challenge GB.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Korea could still challenge them. Both 2-0(Korea won 1 in SO), all they would have to do is probably beat them, it's not like GBR is blowing everyone out.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
31 shots from Estonia in the 1st and they didn't score. That's more than the number of shots they had in the 2nd, and the number of shots Romania has combined

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Korea could still challenge them. Both 2-0(Korea won 1 in SO), all they would have to do is probably beat them, it's not like GBR is blowing everyone out.

Yeah, very likely that the game between Korea-GB will be the one that decides promotion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

All they have to do is beat them? :laugh: It's like saying I simply have to run fast to beat Usain Bolt.

Have you seen Korea play? Like, ever? I will be very surprised if they finish this championship with more than 11 points, from what I've seen promotion is out of the question.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm not sure why people are so quick to underestimate Korea but doing so is a bad idea.

GB played Korea twice in the last 3 U18 tournaments, they lost 6-5 last year & 4-3 in 2012.

They don't play the sexiest game but they're always in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad