Divisional Playoffs!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why are owners so against the idea or realignment and return to divisional playoffs? It would guarantee that a team would have better chance of making playoffs. And it was the system that worked during hockey's last golden age. (1980s and late 90's).

I think the idea of potential Calgary-Edmonton, Detroit-Chicago, NYR-NYI, etc., matchups year in and year out would be enough of a financial boon for owners.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
While I agree that divisional playoffs would make an even better playoff and give an added spark to the early rounds that sometimes lacks it. That said I wouldn't call a period where the league wasn't even on network tv in the states a golden age. Sure the play was good but the league as a whole left a lot to be desired something that still effects the leagues standing today.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
While I agree that divisional playoffs would make an even better playoff and give an added spark to the early rounds that sometimes lacks it. That said I wouldn't call a period where the league wasn't even on network tv in the states a golden age. Sure the play was good but the league as a whole left a lot to be desired something that still effects the leagues standing today.

I prefer the 4 division set-up myself. Especially now that each division would 7 or 8 teams. When there were only 5 per division there were some weak teams making the playoffs and since teams knew who they'd be playing there was a lot more "sand-bagging" going on.

BTW, the NHL has always been on national TV. WATCH THE CBC!!!! :teach:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I prefer the 4 division set-up myself. Especially now that each division would 7 or 8 teams. When there were only 5 per division there were some weak teams making the playoffs and since teams knew who they'd be playing there was a lot more "sand-bagging" going on.

BTW, the NHL has always been on national TV. WATCH THE CBC!!!! :teach:

I said in the States where the NHL wasn't on network tv all those years and it is still impacting the league today. I would watch CBC but it's not available unless you near the border. I grew up in NJ and go to school in Maryland needless to say I don't get it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Why are owners so against the idea or realignment and return to divisional playoffs? It would guarantee that a team would have better chance of making playoffs. And it was the system that worked during hockey's last golden age. (1980s and late 90's).

I think the idea of potential Calgary-Edmonton, Detroit-Chicago, NYR-NYI, etc., matchups year in and year out would be enough of a financial boon for owners.

With any dramatic change like this, the divisions would need to be realigned to offset the odd number (3) of divisions within the conferences. If the NHL went back to four divisions (two per conference), then there would be an odd total (15 teams in each conference) 8/7 and 8/7 of teams representing the four divisions and that would affect the scheduling of regular season games. Also, some owners would probably feel that with such a change comes a reduction of the most premium opponents -- or draws -- coming into their facility during the regular season, less than what the current regular season format dictates.

If the NHL did advance the cause and reduced the divisions to four (two consisting of eight teams and two consisting of seven teams) and had divisional play in the playoffs, I'd like to see the final four teams reseeded based on points. Since the divisions would be based on geography, for the most part, the possibility of what some may consider a too regional Cup Final wouldn't occur since divisional post-season play would eliminate that.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
With any dramatic change like this, the divisions would need to be realigned to offset the odd number (3) of divisions within the conferences. If the NHL went back to four divisions (two per conference), then there would be an odd total (15 teams in each conference) 8/7 and 8/7 of teams representing the four divisions and that would affect the scheduling of regular season games. Also, some owners would probably feel that with such a change comes a reduction of the most premium opponents -- or draws -- coming into their facility during the regular season, less than what the current regular season format dictates.

If the NHL did advance the cause and reduced the divisions to four (two consisting of eight teams and two consisting of seven teams) and had divisional play in the playoffs, I'd like to see the final four teams reseeded based on points. Since the divisions would be based on geography, for the most part, the possibility of what some may consider a too regional Cup Final wouldn't occur since divisional post-season play would eliminate that.

Well there has been talk of going back to a 4 division format although not necessarily divisional playoffs. And I agree with you if they went back to divisional playoffs they should get rid of conferences and reseed the final 4.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The only way that I would agree with Divisional Playoffs is if it were simply done in the 1st Round. In fact, I would like Divisional Playoffs in the 1st Round, but that's as far as I would go with it.

A few times before, I've suggested:
- a Divisional Playoff 1st Round
- a Conference Playoff 2nd Round
- an Inter-Conference Playoff 3rd Round
(each Round would also need to involve some 'wildcard' matchups, due to the number of teams)
- and then that allows the possibility that the Final could have 2 teams from the same Conference.

Masterplan*

Except with Divisional playoffs, you'd probably end up playing the same teams over and over again in the playoffs.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Except with Divisional playoffs, you'd probably end up playing the same teams over and over again in the playoffs.

That's the point. It fosters rivalries that carry over to the regular season which makes the season better.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
having 6 divisions over 4 means a better chance of marketing yourself as division champs

Not only Division champs but also being in the race for the Division champ. Just taking the top 2 teams in each Division, that means that 12 teams are attracting more fan attention. The same goes for a potential 8 Division league.
All these advocates for going back to 4 Divisions, with 8 teams in each, don't seem to get that.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not only Division champs but also being in the race for the Division champ. Just taking the top 2 teams in each Division, that means that 12 teams are attracting more fan attention. The same goes for a potential 8 Division league.
All these advocates for going back to 4 Divisions, with 8 teams in each, don't seem to get that.

But I don't think that is as big of a draw as you think because the widespread perception of the NHL (as well as the NBA) is that the regular season is meaningless. Also consider that at most places (nhl.com and other sites for example) the standings about midway through the season change from the division to the conference (playoff) standings. Thus that first place in the divisional now is second or third place. It's not baseball or even football where first place carries any big weight.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
But I don't think that is as big of a draw as you think because the widespread perception of the NHL (as well as the NBA) is that the regular season is meaningless. Also consider that at most places (nhl.com and other sites for example) the standings about midway through the season change from the division to the conference (playoff) standings. Thus that first place in the divisional now is second or third place. It's not baseball or even football where first place carries any big weight.

Two things: I hear this a lot, and whether it's true or not, I don't think that emphasizing the point is a great idea. Team owners certainly don't want people thinking that Regular Season is meaningless because it could mean fewer people attending Regular season games. In fact, if somehow the Regular season was made more meaningful then perhaps that might help attendance figures.

Second, and I think it relates to first thing I said above, I'm not sure that all newer fans to the game would have the idea that the Regular season is "meaningless", so for them, how their team is doing in the Standings, in its Division, might effect how interested they become in following the team more closely. Besides, newer fans in particular might be more likely to follow how their team is doing against its closest rivals, and how they stand up against a wider range of teams may not be so immediately important.

I think it all comes back to point of making the Regular Season at least seem more meaningful, at least to fans that have not yet become desperate (after many years) to see their team have significant success in the Playoffs.

Hey, this is all speculation, but it seems to make sense.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
no way.

after suffering through too many essentially pointless 80's-era Norris divison playdowns, and seeing the two best teams meet in the league in the second round year after year, I hope they never go back to it.

but first round matchups would be fine. especially if they were best of 5. after that, seed in conference, and then seed across conferences for final 4.

under this scenario, you could have division rivals meet in the final. now that's how you build rivalries.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00